PDA

View Full Version : This will get the Scots spitting whisky !!!

500N
21st Mar 2014, 05:34
Tassie whisky named world's best single malt

Tasmanian distillery Sullivan's Cove has been named the world's best single malt whisky at the World Whiskies Award held on Thursday night in London.

Sullivan's Cove's French Oak Cask variety was judged the global winner, as well as Australia's best, from a high-quality pool of single malt entries. They included Scotland's Bunnahabain, Aberfeldy, Glenkinchie and Glenlivet distilleries, as well as Japanese powerhouse Yamazaki.

The World Whiskies Award is considered the most prestigious in the world for whisky producers and the manager and part-owner of Sullivan's Cove, Patrick Maguire, said it would put Australia and Tasmania firmly on the world whisky map.

Read more: Tassie whisky named world's best single malt (http://www.theage.com.au/executive-style/top-drop/tassie-whisky-named-worlds-best-single-malt-20140321-357lc.html#ixzz2wZYjW1q8)

Tassie whisky named world's best single malt (http://www.theage.com.au/executive-style/top-drop/tassie-whisky-named-worlds-best-single-malt-20140321-357lc.html)

Hydromet
21st Mar 2014, 05:48
I was walking past my local bottlo when I heard this on the radio. Stuck my head in, but sadly, no barrel 525 there.:{

Captain Sand Dune
21st Mar 2014, 07:09
Well if you've tried it (yes, I have:ok:) I'm sure you would agree it's pretty good.
Finished mine last night. Time for another trip to Tassie praps.

mad_jock
21st Mar 2014, 07:19
I don't think anyone will care.

its more than likely a Scotsman that chose it as the best.

More than likely its the Tassie sheep were providing higher quality piss into the water supply due to all the love and attention they get from the Tazzie men.

500N
21st Mar 2014, 07:33
Mad

Nor do I.

Good reply :) :ok:

Lancair70
21st Mar 2014, 08:42
Mad Jock, I feel as an aussie I should point out to you that it's our neighbors across the ditch, that have the sheep fetish. Tasmania is NOT part of NZ.

Pinky the pilot
21st Mar 2014, 09:38
The South Australian ABC news had a brief segment on the thread subject.

It featured a very short interview with one of the Distillers and I noted that his first name was Patrick! Cannot remember the surname but do remember that it was a 'foine' Irish surname, to be sure!:D:E

Worrals in the wilds
21st Mar 2014, 09:56
Nothing wrong with Irish whiskey! :E

mad_jock
21st Mar 2014, 12:09
its not their fault thay make it with shite water.

Lancair maybe shagged kangaroo piss is better than sheep piss shagged or unshagged.

Ps that was a comment about irish whisky 500N ;)

500N
21st Mar 2014, 12:14
I think I should have added a few :O ;) :p to my original post.

It was a bit of a joke, that's all.

Lon More
21st Mar 2014, 12:17
This will get the Scots spitting whisky !!!

Why? the English know even less about whisky than they do about politics

500N
21st Mar 2014, 12:23
And I know even less about Whisky !

Don't even like the stuff :O

Lon More
21st Mar 2014, 12:28
Don't even like the stuff

all the more for me then :ok:

Dont Hang Up
21st Mar 2014, 12:32

The English love Scottish whisky! So why disparage their powers of discernment? It's a bit like the old truism:- Don't question your wife's judgement. Look who she married.

If the English could make whisky as well as the Scots then Scotland would have got is independence a long long time ago. :p

500N
21st Mar 2014, 12:33
No problems, I'll drink the other Whiskey, Bourbon or whatever you want to call it !!!

Actually I am a gin drinker !

Worrals in the wilds
21st Mar 2014, 12:40
When it comes to spirits I'm generally a rum drinker, but I did sample a drop from the Tassie whiskey mob (a friend read the glowing reviews and just had to try it :rolleyes:) and it was very nice. I don't know if it was the award winning version CSD sampled but it came from the same distillery.

cattletruck
21st Mar 2014, 12:41
Tasmania is known to have the best natural drinking water in Australia, that's why the two-heads also produce what I reckon to be Australia's best commercial beers - Boags and Cascade (North and South Tasmania respectively).

A good drop of whiskey and a map of Tasmania....but only on the mainland of course (two-heads).

Sorry to say that I haven't touched a drop of whiskey for 4 years and that was a rather large half bottle drop. Good alcohol is just too expensive in this Nanny state.

500N
21st Mar 2014, 12:44
The English love Scottish whisky! So why disparage their powers of discernment ?

Many years ago, my uncle, who drinks a brand of whisky opened a new bottle and thought it tasted a bit different. Looked at the label and noticed they had dropped the number of years down a couple.

Promptly sent off a letter, a rep turned up with a case of the "good / old stuff".

It was mentioned that he was the only person in the London / Southern area that noticed !!!

cockney steve
21st Mar 2014, 14:14
I was gifted a bottle of "Manx Spirit" some years ago. Crystal clear, yet smelling of Whisky/ whiskey, it was beautifully smooth and flavoursome.

Apparently the Scots or Irish (depends on the spelling-see above) took the Manx distillery to Court, for daring to use the name.....hence "Manx Spirit! :ok:

Evanelpus
21st Mar 2014, 14:23
Mad Jock, I feel as an aussie I should point out to you that it's our neighbors across the ditch, that have the sheep fetish. Tasmania is NOT part of NZ.

Now you see why we'll be glad to get rid of them, absolutely no idea of where they sit in the big wide world!:ok:

MagnusP
21st Mar 2014, 14:31
There's great whisky/whiskey to be found all over the planet. I've had some decent Japanese whisky, some excellent Indian whisky and, of course, there are the very good US small batch bourbons to enjoy. Irish is great, English is very good, Canadian is pleasant if a little light for my taste. Bring it all on! The more the merrier!

Worrals in the wilds
21st Mar 2014, 14:33
Now you see why we'll be glad to get rid of them, absolutely no idea of where they sit in the big wide world!:ok:
IIRC originally New Zealand and Fiji discussed the option of becoming part of the Commonwealth of Australia, and both eventually declined. :8
Much better for rugby, anyway. :}
I've had some decent Japanese whisky, some excellent Indian whiskyAgreed. Suntori and Royal Challenge come to mind, particularly after a few complimentary shots. ;)

tony draper
21st Mar 2014, 15:14
In the reign of George II, Hogarth's time, whiskey was brought down from Scotland and turned into Gin.
Not many people know that.
:)

Lon More
21st Mar 2014, 15:19
a map of Tasmania....

I thought you found that in the morning as a result of imbibing too much :E

MagnusP
21st Mar 2014, 15:22
Tsk, tsk, FSL. Whiskey from Scotland?? Never!

Besides, most British gin is distilled in Scotland nowadays; no need to purloin our drams.

Lon More
21st Mar 2014, 15:29
Scotland the What? "Our Glens", featuring George Donald. - YouTube

tony draper
21st Mar 2014, 16:25
Fraid tiz so Mr Magnus:=,Brian Cox (actor not scientist) fronted a excellent series of documentaries about addiction ie, tobacco alcohol opium sugar etc
In the episode on alcohol he covered period of the Gin Madness that afflicted London in Georgian times and told of the entire Scottish whiskey output being bought and transported South there converted to Gin,one assumes by adding juniper berries.
As you know one loves wee snippets of arcane knowledge such as this so one pounced upon it.
:rolleyes:
This is the best whiskey advert,wee Rabbie Carlyle is very good at remembering his lines.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8hSDRLFxBU

piesupper
21st Mar 2014, 16:42
Scotland has managed to shrug off the cultural bodyblow of having World Champion Pipe Bands from outwith our borders for the past couple of decades so I reckon we'll continue to just about squeeze by if someone else makes vanishingly small quantities of exceedingly good whisky indeed.
I'm available to help make these quantities vanish, of course....
Pipebands from Simon Fraser University in Canada and Lisburn in NI have dominated the Pipe Band Championships for many years now. Tourists still turn up to watch pipers so we are not overly concerned.

MFC_Fly
21st Mar 2014, 16:47
The English make surprisingly good whisky - I was shocked, to say the least, when I tried a few different samples :sad:

Tankertrashnav
21st Mar 2014, 17:55
Scotland has managed to shrug off the cultural bodyblow of having World Champion Pipe Bands from outwith our borders for the past couple of decades

"Outwith" - great word, don't think I've ever heard it used South of the border!

airship
21st Mar 2014, 18:25
Declaration: airship has a vested interest in Ballantyne's finest blended Scotch whisky, together with keeping it as cheap as possible so as to allow consumers such as hisself, the means to maintain their remaining sanity in this strange World, at minimum cost and discomfort, wherever in Europe, or farther afield they find themselves.

That is why I'm refraining from further comment. And thank you for your attention.

BenThere
21st Mar 2014, 19:49
I like Caol Ila when I can find it. Otherwise Johnny Walker Red suits me fine.

What I find astounding is that if the producers of Scotch were able to sell directly to me I could buy a fifth of good scotch for less than $10. The government takes an amount in tax that is at least the cost and often more, and what do I get in return for that contribution?

Why don't we exorbitantly tax text messages, boob jobs, Starbucks, and other things people do at the same rate?

west lakes
21st Mar 2014, 20:07
I've had some of this and it is quite palatable

English Whisky at St.George's Distillery, Roudham, Norfolk for fine single malt whisky - English Whisky (http://www.englishwhisky.co.uk/)

The blend (of Scottish Whisky) they are selling is very good, awaiting the malt in a few years

Lakes Distillery (http://www.lakesdistillery.com/)

Lon More
21st Mar 2014, 20:46
Got a couple of bottles of Caol Ila here :ok: Good stuff as are almost all the Island Malts

BenThere
21st Mar 2014, 20:55
Lon,

Nice of you to find something in common with a Redneck like me. All the best.

The Caol Ila is the heartiest scotch I know.

22 Degree Halo
21st Mar 2014, 21:13
Trouble is the English make "wine" for 'oor non-educated-delinquents.

RwFij9KM-qU

rab-k
22nd Mar 2014, 21:34
Good to see someone else giving Scotch a run for its money. Too many distillers here rest on their laurels, so no bad thing for some if they turn into thorns.

I do wish more producers would revert to traditional methods and bin the chill-filtered stuff with the added caramel used to make it look like the real deal.

Easy way to tell if your malt has been chill-filtered... Put The bottle in the bottom of the fridge for a couple of days and if the liquid stays clear then its been filtered. If its slightly cloudy then unfiltered.

As for the caramel, not all countries require it to be disclosed on the label, but if E150A appears then you'll know for sure.

But each to their own at the end of the day.