PDA

View Full Version : RAIN GUTTERS ON AIRCRAFT

AeroTech
21st Mar 2014, 00:36
Hi,

a) Are the rain gutters (metal strips above aircraft doors) on aircraft efficient in deflecting rain water. I am talking here about airliners (Boeing, Airbus,...etc.). I mean by efficiency: less corrosion around door entry, comfort for passengers (rain water not dripping on passengers while waiting on the door entry, or may be wet carpet...etc.

b) Besides the regular rain gutters, some aircraft are fitted with additional rain gutters. For example there is rain gutter above the upper hinge on each entry and service galley B 737 NG.
Why these additional rain gutters (above the upper hinge of the door) are added to the aircraft?

c) Are other aircraft (Boeing, Airbus,...etc.) fitted with additional rain gutters such in B737 NG?

Feedback appreciated.

Tinwacker
21st Mar 2014, 05:04
a) Are the rain gutters (metal strips above aircraft doors) on aircraft efficient in deflecting rain water.

My experience is they do a reasonable job in deflecting rain water away from the door cut-out only when an airbridge is being used, as long as the bridge canopy is positioned above the gutter line to deflect the water.

They do not prevent the rain entering the doorway with the bridge canopy disconnected.

I have not seen corrosion round the door cut-out on the large Boeing and Airbus types I am involved with.

What I do find is if the badly fitted bridge canopy is positioned below the gutter line then water does run into the doorway, soaking the floor and any passengers standing at that point.

Boeing 747 aircraft have to be inspected for heavy water ingress to the MEC if large amounts of rain water has entered via the forward doors. An electrical nightmare that has had many modifications to shield and protect the electrical boxes below.

Fix then is to attach high speed tape as a new 'gutter' to deflect the water either side of the doorway. Removed after door closed...

I cannot comment on the B737 aircraft types, but have not seen any extra rain gutters other than those over the door cutouts.

TW

emergency000
21st Mar 2014, 10:41
Given the location of the upper access hatch to the MEC on 767 and 777 aircraft, I'd imagine they too would have inspections for water ingress into the MEC. Then again, most aircraft MECs are placed under, or near, the fwd galley anyway, which I would imagine is why you'd find a lot of water shields and drip trays above the LRU racks.

sb_sfo
25th Mar 2014, 15:04
What tinwacker said, as well as checking the door sill drains and removing the lint/crud blocking them.

AeroTech
30th Mar 2014, 20:37
Hi,

I have some questions regarding the pic on the following link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/flightb...348102892/in/set-72157623280980561

a) The rain gutter above the cargo door seems bigger compared to other rain gutters in passenger aircraft. I am not talking about the length (which is normal because the size of the cargo door) of this rain gutter, I mean the width and the height of this rain gutter. Is B 777 freighter fitted with similar rain gutter?

b) I am wondering about the 4 metal strips on the cargo door: are these also rain gutters? Is B 777 freighter fitted with similar rain gutters?

Feedback appreciated.

Tinwacker
5th Apr 2014, 07:41
Cannot open the link, shows page error
would like to see the side door and explain what it is you are seeing...

TW

AeroTech
8th Apr 2014, 01:40
In order to open the link, Copy & Past the link and try to open it in a "New window" or page. The link is still working if you do it this way.

Here the link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/flightblogger/4348102892/in/set-72157623280980561

Boeing 747 aircraft have to be inspected for heavy water ingress to the MEC if large amounts of rain water has entered via the forward doors. An electrical nightmare that has had many modifications to shield and protect the electrical boxes below.

Fix then is to attach high speed tape as a new 'gutter' to deflect the water either side of the doorway. Removed after door closed
The door sill drains, the drip shield and/or the drip pans are supposed to protect the electrical boxes in EE bay.
Were these protections defective (door sill drains clogged as mentioned by sb-sfo) or these protections are not installed on B 747 ? Is this a common problem in B 747?

The B 737 NG are fitted with extra rain gutters (above the upper hinge of the door). It seems to me these short metal strips are extra rain gutters unless someone explains the role of these extra metal strips above the upper hinge of the door.

Feedback appreciated.

Tinwacker
12th Apr 2014, 02:00
b) I am wondering about the 4 metal strips on the cargo door: are these also rain gutters?

As I still haven't been able to open the link I will assume the above is seen on a B747F side door.

Two metal strips above and below each blow in door.
The upper metal strips are to restrict rain water entering the doorway when the 'blow in' doors are open and side door is in the closed position.
The lower metal strips are to restrict rain water entering when the side door is fully open, the lower strips now become the upper rain gutters!

I was traveling on a B737 yesterday and took time to look at both forward and rear door hinge cutouts with rain gutters in particular.
The upper door hinge travels through the fuselage construction causing a cutout. This cutout now becomes an entry point for water when raining, hence the rain gutter fitted at this location. It is not a stiffener as people have thought but of rain gutter shaping approx 30cm long...

Rain gutters on B777F are possibly similar as the B747F but I have not seen this aircraft yet.

I do hope that this clears up some more of your questions Aero...

TW