PDA

View Full Version : Mystery markings?

tony draper
19th Mar 2014, 22:07
Googlearthing and happened upon these mysterious symbols marked upon the ground,is perhaps some strange new sport involved such as grass curling or one dimensional badminton,or perhaps are they to attract the attention of some passing UFO? they look like shuttlecocks,could be a alien mothership I suppose
Genuinely puzzled of Gateshead.
:confused:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/second%20album/Capturexx_zpsc063fac2.png (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/Deaddogbay/media/second%20album/Capturexx_zpsc063fac2.png.html)

P6 Driver
19th Mar 2014, 22:09
You might be invited to give a clue on this one - there's no link or photo showing!
:)

Flash2001
19th Mar 2014, 22:10
A link might be nice, it's tedious to look at the whole globe!

After an excellent landing etc...

Ah! See it now

tony draper
19th Mar 2014, 22:11
Patience prooners one was having trouble with photobucket :=

500N
19th Mar 2014, 22:12
Tony

Looks to me very much like my school running track where I went to prep school in Birmingham !

And the two other shapes look like some athletic sport like Shot put or discuss.

500N
19th Mar 2014, 22:13
Give us a link to where it is in Google.

The buildings are likely to help in answering your question.

con-pilot
19th Mar 2014, 22:15
The shuttlecocks looking things are for throwing hammers, Olympic type hammers. The wind up ring and the scoring area.

The rest, don't know. Track?

The buildings

A school?

500N
19th Mar 2014, 22:16
Shot put.

Hammers and discuss require nets.

tony draper
19th Mar 2014, 22:16
Running track? you could be right of course dont they normaly have have bends on em so they meet up again at some point,you have to excuse me as I have never run anywhere in my life,seen other do it of course but never felt the need.
:rolleyes:
Buggah!hoping for summat exciting,turns out it's bloody sport,
Ah well.
:(

con-pilot
19th Mar 2014, 22:18
Shot put.

Yup, you're right, got confused. :ok:

500N
19th Mar 2014, 22:19
And I am a dumb bastard having already put it in my post above :O

I think I better go to the "I know I'm getting old" thread !!!

500N
19th Mar 2014, 22:21
Running track? you could be right of course dont they normaly have have bends on em so they meet up again at some point,

Not at prep schools, you know, the one's where they do potato sack and three legged races ;)

(That is if schools do any of those things any more :p)

Dak Man
19th Mar 2014, 22:22
I wonder if one could put a B777 down there and get it stopped before the rugby posts.

tony draper
19th Mar 2014, 22:22
Don't feel bad I could not think of the name of that sport where they bool round stones along the ice had to ring next door ont intercom.
This how it ends.:(

Sailor Vee
19th Mar 2014, 22:23
The grid is a ladder for the snake in the car park!

500N
19th Mar 2014, 22:27
Dak
I wonder if one could put a B777 down there and get it stopped before the rugby posts.

After reading some of the theories on the MH370 thread in R&N, that is one of the saner suggestions :O

I'd add that even a non pilot could do it and it would still be a sane suggestions :p

Some real whackos out there, that is for sure !

airship
19th Mar 2014, 22:41
The aerial photo was part of a hitherto "top-secret" experiment conducted at an as yet unidentified NSA / GCHQ etc. intelligence-gathering site somewhere in the northern-Hemisphere. The original purpose was to encourage visiting aliens to contribute towards a jingle, which could be used by various governments in national TV campaigns to alleviate their own citizens' concerns over spying scandals and restore confidence in their place in society etc.

PS. What looks like 2 x "shot-putting" grids, are actually there to remind the aliens that their compositions and jingles must be in "stereo"...?! :ok:

awblain
19th Mar 2014, 22:44
It's definitely a summer-term sports field marked out with paint, with some random goalposts dotted about. The cross markings on the track are so they can run races with different lengths for different ages.

Lon More
20th Mar 2014, 20:34
Hurdles maybe?

lomapaseo
20th Mar 2014, 22:12
it's printer check function for the white ink

Lon More
20th Mar 2014, 22:30
It's a reticule to check the bombsight for drift en-route to Farage's house.

awblain
20th Mar 2014, 22:59
Can't you just bring Farange down with a badly-placed banner?

G-CPTN
20th Mar 2014, 23:00
The markings are in the grounds of Oakfield Infant (http://www.oakfieldinfants.co.uk/)s and Junior School (http://oakfieldjunior.org/) Chowdene Bank, Gateshead a couple of miles and a short walk away for you, FSL - wander up there and demand to be told!

On second thoughts don't bother - these days you'd probably get locked up for showing interest in children . . . :=

The location (in a school) does suggest that the markings are associated with physical activity of some sort, probably something athletic, though I doubt that youngsters these days would participate in dangerous activities such as shot, discus or hammer throwing and certainly not javelin hurling.

As has been mentioned there are several football nets (the sort used for five-a-side).

Checkboard
20th Mar 2014, 23:34
What IS the name of that bloody cheese sliding on ice thingy? :mad::uhoh:

vulcanised
20th Mar 2014, 23:37
Whey to go?

Sorry, touch of the Blueys there.

G-CPTN
20th Mar 2014, 23:44
What IS the name of that bloody cheese sliding on ice thingy?
Curling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curling) . . .

awblain
20th Mar 2014, 23:54
That's hard cheese.

tony draper
21st Mar 2014, 01:12
One oft forgets the names of things these days which requires one to utilize the word 'thingy' much more often than one was wont to do in the past, as in 'There! that thingy there'! generally deploying a pointing finger at the same time and a slightly elevated voice level as well, hence the exclamation marks.
:(

500N
21st Mar 2014, 02:26
Tony

Or when you can't find it and say it's not there, the Mrs, GF say "that was a man look" :O and promptly shows you where it is !

Hydromet
21st Mar 2014, 05:20
Or when you can't find it and say it's not there, the Mrs, GF say "that was a man look" and promptly shows you where it is !I hear that far too often at home, and was at the hospital waiting for an eye op yesterday and the nurse said the same thing to the anaesthetist!

MagnusP
21st Mar 2014, 12:00
Why does everyone want to discuss hammers and shots, yet no-one's mentioned the discus? :p