PDA

View Full Version : Budget

Shaggy Sheep Driver
19th Mar 2014, 15:44
Constructive and sensible stuff from the chancellor.

Millipede was appalling. Nothing sensible to say, just the usual 'Eton' jibes. And all this 'you're worse off under the Tories' stuff - what he fails to say is it hadn't been for Broon's years of ridiculous 'borrow and spend' we maybe wouldn't be!

Considering Labour left the economy a smoking ruin with the biggest debt since WW2 (deja vue there - Sunny Jim anyone? Except Broon's damage was far worse) and the coalition are well on the way to putting it right (deja vue there as well), you'd think Millipede would wind his neck in. Maybe he is trying to make Balls look good?

Capetonian
19th Mar 2014, 15:52
Air passenger duty reformed: All long haul flights will carry the same tax rate as current visits to the USThat's good. Also glad to see that savers and the provident are now rewarded instead of penalised, but interest rates are still far too low and favour the borrower.

Dak Man
19th Mar 2014, 16:25
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02856/190314-MATT-PORTAL_2856092a.png

That's not the economic sanctions against Russia, it's the Tory Budget.

sitigeltfel
19th Mar 2014, 16:35
And the freezing of the tax on whisky has nothing whatsoever to do with the upcoming referendum!

Capot
19th Mar 2014, 17:18
Labour's problem isn't only their massive one of Messrs Milliband and Balls, it's that army of whingeing female spokespersons who get deployed to be interviewed on telly on occasions like this, and come across as though they are moaning about their local supermarket.

I'm guessing that they are ex-researchers with a junior shadow job, talking off a Labour HQ script drafted by a nerdy apparatchik with communication challenges.

Couldn't someone teach them that answering "Yes" or "No", when one of those is blindingly, obviously the only sensible answer is not a hanging offence? Their ridiculous evasions merely make the watcher want to club them.

Of course that goes for ALL politicians who believe it's clever not to answer a question and waffle away about something else instead. OK, then, ALL politicians.

El Grifo
19th Mar 2014, 19:46
The speaker was having a hell of a job keeping Tories under control.

A disgusting example of what passes for constructive debate, beamed around the world for all to witness.

Disgraceful !!

El G.

Lon More
19th Mar 2014, 20:11
sounds like an unashamed attempt to buy votes. Also fuels the non-existant real recovery

Effluent Man
19th Mar 2014, 21:45
A budget that has more to do with Nige nibbling at Dave's nuts than Britain's economic situation.Good luck with that one Dave!

Sallyann1234
19th Mar 2014, 22:29
What does worry me is this change to the pension rules to allow someone on retiring to take out the whole of their pension fund and spend it as they wish.
I can see a whole new raft of scammers offering phoney investment schemes to relieve them of their savings.

tony draper
19th Mar 2014, 22:42
I can see some Crumblies taking advantage and going on a huge bender.:E

Shaggy Sheep Driver
19th Mar 2014, 22:57
The State has traditionally protected private pension funds from being used for a bender leading to the bendee then relying on the State for support. There's merit in that, except it is a bit 'nannying'.

I think anyone who has a private pension scheme is unlikely to pi55 it all up the wall or they wouldn't have been responsible enough to start the scheme in the first place (yes, there'll be exceptions).

So it prob 90 makes sense to give pension savers more freedom on what they do with their pot. At the moment they are largely captive prey for the slimeballs who sell annuities in a protected market.

tony draper
19th Mar 2014, 22:59
It didn't help that fat bastard Maxwell's chaps much.:(

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Mar 2014, 00:11
Of course that goes for ALL politicians who believe it's clever not to answer a question and waffle away about something else instead.
You can't win that one. If I'm asked a question in the council chamber and I stand up and say the one word "yes" (or "no") and then sit down again I get shouted at for not giving a full answer.

pr00ne
20th Mar 2014, 00:15
Capot,

"army of whingeing female spokespersons "

I call sexist BS.

Can't you come up with a decent rational argument without bringing your misogyny into it?

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Mar 2014, 00:18
The State has traditionally protected private pension funds from being used for a bender leading to the bendee then relying on the State for support. There's merit in that, except it is a bit 'nannying'.
Many of my lot believe in treating most people as grown-ups usually capable of making their own decisions and not needing a nanny to tell them how to live their lives - that's essentially Labour territory, that is.
I think anyone who has a private pension scheme is unlikely to pi55 it all up the wall or they wouldn't have been responsible enough to start the scheme in the first place (yes, there'll be exceptions).
There's that.

There's also that having put the basic state pension up to a decent level, so that on the whole pensioners are out of means tested benefits, aka yet another of Labour's poverty traps, this means that if they do pi55 it all up against the wall, so what? They still get the basic state pension, which is enough to live on, so they aren't costing the state any more.

(This is theory, mind, there will always be exceptions when dealing with human behaviour.)
So it prob 90 makes sense to give pension savers more freedom on what they do with their pot. At the moment they are largely captive prey for the slimeballs who sell annuities in a protected market.
In chopping loads from the value of annuity providers today, the stock market seems to take the view that, with the punters given a choice, annuities would not sell very well on their own merits at current prices.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
20th Mar 2014, 01:18
Take all your pension money and decide yourself what to do with it??

That's outrageous...it's..it's exactly what those Canadians do with their RRSPs..

..they're so wild and irresponsible we nicked their man to be Governor of the Bank of England.

..and it trashes the annuities market.. why is obviously why Canada Life is one of the best annuities providers.....er..er

Tankertrashnav
20th Mar 2014, 01:43
Also glad to see that savers and the provident are now rewarded instead of penalised, but interest rates are still far too low and favour the borrower

Hear hear. I'd be far more chuffed about the much improved ISA allowance if I could find one that offered a decent rate of interest.
Quite like the sound of the 4% "pensioner bond" though, and from the noises Carney is making we savers can perhaps look forward to a general rise in interest rates in the not too distant future.

sitigeltfel
20th Mar 2014, 08:57
Balls response was pathetic. He seems to have based his speech on Twitter rumours and when they turned out to be false, he had to tear it up and attempt to improvise. What a plonker!

acbus1
20th Mar 2014, 09:18
A budget 'For Makers, Doers And Savers'.

Jeez! How does anyone with a brain and the eyes to read the details manage to believe that?

Only the Private Sector makes things, then sees 50% of the profit going into the Public Sector, which doesn't make a single darn thing. 50% of GDP is sucked into the Public Sector and converted into gravy for its train.

The Private Sector is the 'doer'...being comprehensively 'done' by the Government.

Has Osborne tried saving recently? What's the ineterst rate on a savings account then George old chap? How many years has that been going on?

Wake up, people. A few pre-election scraps and you're happy. Pathetic.

Andy_S
20th Mar 2014, 09:33
Has Osborne tried saving recently? What's the ineterst rate on a savings account then George old chap?

It works both ways, though. My mortgage payments have been historically low for several years now, which puts extra money in my pocket.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
20th Mar 2014, 09:58
Low interest rates to hand money from savers to borrowers, and inflation (QE - printing money) will be Gov policy for a while yet because of the MASSIVE debt Broon left us.

Yesterday's budget at least let a bit of pressure off pensioners in the savings market, as it's they who depend on investment income to live.

Capot
21st Mar 2014, 14:15
Can't you come up with a decent rational argument without bringing your misogyny into itLook, sunshine, I'll keep misogyny and you keep yours; no need to argue about it.

BTW, it's not a hate crime to remark that all the whingeing spokespersons wheeled out by Labour on the Budget follow-up programme I saw were female, when that is what they were.