PDA

View Full Version : A318 Engine Question

chiodos86
18th Mar 2014, 14:37
Hi all

I'm writing an assignment about the performance of the Airbus A318 and I can't work out why an operator would have a preference over either the Pratt & Whitney or CFM engine? Both engines seem to offer similar performance levels.

Wikipedia (yeah, I know :rolleyes: ) implies that the CFM engine was used until 2007 and then the P&W was introduced as a replacement. Is this the case or were both offered as a choice throughout it's history?

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Tinwacker
18th Mar 2014, 15:36
Not sticking to just the A318...
this family started of with both CFMI and IAE engines and as you mentioned the P&W engine came along later as a replacement.

Company choice, this can be because of a better financial deal with one of the engine companies, availability of engine and spares, previous knowledge of the type fitted to other aircraft so reducing training, perhaps better SFC than the other model even with same performance figures, common engine type within a company fleet so reducing spares holdings and the list can go on and on.

TW

chiodos86
18th Mar 2014, 17:51
Thanks Tinwacker, that's given me some useful factors to consider.

I guess the SFC would be a really important factor when choosing, I'll have a look into that.

Cheers :ok: