PDA

View Full Version : Is freight great??!

Biz
17th May 2002, 18:29
Just wondering gents & ladies,

I have always been inspired to fly the freighters rather than pax. Always seemed a bit more inspiring and probably brought about by a little streak of adventure in me! You may disagree about the "inspiring" bit if you like!

Anyhow, what I am interested in knowing are where are the UK, or European based, freight operators? The majority of what I have read is FAA orientated, and less JAA.

Additionally, what are the genaral requirements of these operators when recruiting, re: hours/type ratings?

Finally, how do you cope with the lack of hosties??? :rolleyes:

Would be grateful for your assistance!

sapco2
21st May 2002, 10:06
Re your final question:

Ask a pilot flying passengers how he copes WITH the hosties!

Cargo flying is more enjoyable from my point of view but it is not everyone's cup of tea. If you are low on hours I suggest you try passenger flying first. You will find out about hosties first hand; you will also accumulate flying hours at a much faster rate.

My advice would be - only turn to freighting once you have got the other stuff out of your system, thats what I did and I've had a lot of fun doing both.

boxjockey99
25th May 2002, 02:59
There are quite a few freight operators in the UK and around europe, try looking at the following:

Channel Express - Bournemouth (freight and now PAX)
Emerald Airways - Liverpool
BAC Express - Horley nr. Gatwick
Titan - Stansted (Pax and Freight)
Heavylift - Stansted (frieght and now PAX)
Streamline - Exeter
Air Atlantique - Coventry

All UK freight operators require the same qualifications as PAX operators and there is no difference in the type ratings etc. The only differences is that the deadlines are more critical, the flying is all at night and the aircraft are generally not quite as shiny as their PAX carrying brethren. It's not as glamourous being a freight dog but you don't have to worry about PAX comfort and you don't have air witches to contend with.

Hope that helps
Boxjockey:D