PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Bizjet to Airline?

SteepApproach
17th Mar 2014, 17:31
Hi collegue,
I've been flying Bizjets for 12 years and I'm really fed up about unscheduled life and unscheduled everything!
I'm looking for something in airline but also with my not so bad experience (6000 tth worldwide) looks like impossible!
too expert to be a "cadet", few experience for dec....
Anyone did it?
Please share your experience

vinayak
17th Mar 2014, 17:36
What airplane? How much PIC?

SteepApproach
17th Mar 2014, 17:40
Falcon 900...4500 pic

MaffiFaloos
18th Mar 2014, 06:19
SA,

I've just completed 25 yrs in the Airlines on heavy metal and would strongly suggest you wake up and smell the roses. Airlines used to be good but these days its just max duty min rest, limited days off and lots of long haul night flights. In marked contrast I'm now flying a Gulfstream, VIP flying is a breath of fresh air. VVV few night flights, vvv low hours and varied destinations. In short it has revitalised my enjoyment of flying beyond all recognition. I now look forward to going to work, especially with the benefit of a few days off and a good nights sleep or three. Best of luck whichever way you go......

Woody12
18th Mar 2014, 07:52
@steepapproach

About a year ago when i was still flying private jets i also was seriously fed up with that. I also wanted to shift to the airline and got an offer of a lcc. When i saw the numbers and the amount of work, i rejected the offer and i was somehow astonished and ashamed that people were accepting these T&C's!!! :ugh: In the end i decided to quit flying and doing something else.

Perhaps contracting/freelance work is an option for you combined with another job. Or an office job in aviation.

Good luck. :ok:

Klimax
19th Mar 2014, 09:15
Left two established flag carrier airlines, after combined 10Y, some years back, and been doing Large Cabin Private Biz Jets for some years now. The training in airlines and the fixed roster was good, but that's it. I'd never, ever, go back to boring "hamster wheel" airline flying again.

SteepApproach
19th Mar 2014, 09:52
There's biz and biz....I fly 600 hrs per year, 23/24 days per month on duty with a telephone call at 7/7.30 pm that tells u the "tomorrow schedule"....No LIFE...I'm corporate wich is a little bit diffferen from private or charter...
For sure a bunch of benefits in the contract but really low low quality of life...
I don't understand the technical reasons for what, coming from bizjet, i feel like we are discriminated..

Klimax
19th Mar 2014, 10:45
No doubt, that there is a large span of operators within the Biz Jet sector - as is there in the Airline industry. Airline flying is what airline flying is - that boils down to ones personal liking, but the slave contracts and ****ty pay is as bad within the airline part of the industry - though you'd probably have a know roster that's better than your current situation..

I don't quite see why any airline would not find a biz jet pilot with 6000tt interesting as from an pure time and background wise point. Which airlines would dislike this?

CaptainProp
19th Mar 2014, 15:05
All of them would "dislike" that kind of experience because in Europe they want cadets that are cheap or someone with a typerating they can use.

CP

supermoix
19th Mar 2014, 15:26
Been in both places, currently flying corporate. My opinion on going back to airlines in two words:

NO WAY

wondering
19th Mar 2014, 19:09
@SteepApproach,

dunno how many crew members you have right now. But, how about adding one more? Even in corporate things are not set in stone if you are that busy. Imho the cost is negligible compared to the total costs of operating a large jet. From my experience, corporate flying does not have the financial pressure like AOC flying. Have you tried talking about your situation with your employer? That might improve everybody´s quality of life considerably. A sensible employer should recognize the value of a content employee. At least, if he intends to keep him long term.

LearjetGA
19th Mar 2014, 20:17
Not sure if the question should be re-phrased...

If you look at the evolution of business aviation and airlines, they are growing apart and I think that it is more and more difficult to make the jump after accumulating a couple of years of experience.

I have the deepest respect for the airline guys because I am not sure I would like to do their constant a to b back to a. Even if the carrier has a good network, after a year you know all the frequencies… Those guys deserve hats off…

Our job is on the other side of the rainbow, we still have in common the license and the runways apart from that? We are autonomous, they are not. We shall come up with new solutions, making decisions, airlines are SOPed to the slightest detail…

Different job in my opinion. A dentist and a surgeon are both doctors …. same patients though!

lifeafteraviation
21st Mar 2014, 10:16
The grass is always greener....

My advice would be if you're young enough to make a career at a major carrier and want to go that route only apply to high quality major carriers that have no more than about a year of "introductory" pay.

Don't waste your time with a regional airline or you will regret it the rest of your life. There's no career advantage to going to a regional with your experience.

The other option is to push for a nice corporate job that pays well and offers a cushy schedule. The charter ops are only good for collecting type ratings. If they wanted you to stick around they would treat you better....just like the regionals only not as bad.

Klimax
21st Mar 2014, 10:20
Lifeafteraviation just provided a great advice! However for the very young, up'n'down hopping in a turboprop at the regionals, or its like, is not a bad experience, but yes, get out of that segment asap!

josephfeatherweight
21st Mar 2014, 12:48
The grass is always greener....
Never truer words spoken.
I've been fortunate enough to "skip" the airline thing. My mates in the airlines are working more often (not necessarily harder, I'll admit) and getting paid bugger all. It's not what it used to be in the airlines, which is a shame... With your experience, something good in biz jet land will be on the horizon soon enough. I believe the market is strong.

stilton
24th Mar 2014, 08:57
Depends on the airline, depends on the biz jet operator.

There is not a one size fits all answer for this question.

future G-V driver
28th Mar 2014, 09:29
I am lucky enough to fly Head of State. From my experience an ideal VIP job must have the following.

1. Good Owner who understands the operation and limitations

2. Nice a/c ie Global, G550/650 or 7X or VIP Boeing/Airbus

3. Good T&C

4. Mixed/varied flying, 400 hours pa max, quality hotels in which to rest, even on a long day stop, so you can relax, gym, pool etc. Do not sit in some Pilots lounge !!

It's rare to find all 4, but 3 out of 4 is achievable.

I spent 20 years flying scheduled L/Haul, my new VIP career is a breath of fresh air. GLA

mutt
28th Mar 2014, 12:29
4 outta 4 is achievable :)

dirk85
28th Mar 2014, 15:40
Can I add to the list a good base, or at least a good roster (15/15 or 1 month/1 month).

Willing to sacrifice one of the other points for this, if at all possible.

Klimax
29th Mar 2014, 03:04
It's a personal preference, but for me, what Dirk85 said, half/half on/off, and a gateway system are very important factors in choosing the "right" employer.

Wetdream
8th Apr 2014, 00:57
I did it the other way, airline to corporate.

I wouldnt go back to an airline now although I have a roster, or at least a set work pattern although work is worldwide and I dont get home during my 'on' time i know when im working and when im not

That said, the airline I worked for wasnt the best so maybe my view of airlines is a bit biased.

TheColonel
9th Apr 2014, 00:35
I went from airline to corporate back to airline. Really depends what you seek and there are plus and minus on both ends. Airline is better for stability and biz jet has much better flying.