PDA

View Full Version : US Navy SEALs recover Libyan Oil Tanker

rgbrock1
17th Mar 2014, 14:22
The US Navy SEALs have taken control of a Libyan oil tanker which had been pirated by a splinter militia group from Libya. A Pentagon spokesman said that the operation was carried out Sunday night on orders from President Obama in international waters southeast of Cyprus at the request of the Libyan and Cypriot governments. There were no casualties. The USS Roosevelt provided an embarkation point for the SEALs as well as helicopter support and served as a command and control and support platform.

Well done gentlemen.

The only easy day was yesterday.

MagnusP
17th Mar 2014, 14:27
Oddly enough, it was previously North Korean flagged. As you say, rgb, well done, gentlemen.

SASless
17th Mar 2014, 14:35
Always the "Oil"!:E

superq7
17th Mar 2014, 14:36
'Morning Glory' has other meanings as well RG !

rgbrock1
17th Mar 2014, 14:40
SASless:

Nope, not always the oil. See, "Captain Philips".

Toadstool
17th Mar 2014, 14:53
Good to see the Commander In Chief is not afraid of making decisions.

Ronald Reagan
17th Mar 2014, 14:55
Typical US meddling yet again. Cannot seem to help themselves from getting involved in internal Libyan issues. Firstly supporting Al Qaeda and other such groups against Gaddafi and now this.

MagnusP
17th Mar 2014, 14:55
A pub in Morningside here in Edinburgh was renamed the Morningside Glory (in similarly proportioned fonts). The genteel ladies of that suburb were up in arms. :p

rgbrock1
17th Mar 2014, 15:04
Ronald Reagan wrote:

Typical US meddling yet again. Cannot seem to help themselves from getting involved in internal Libyan issues

Talking out your ass? The SEALs were dispatched at the request of the Libyan government as well as that of Cyprus.

tony draper
17th Mar 2014, 15:09
Tanker full of crude,worth a few bob that is, put a prize crew aboard her:)

Lonewolf_50
17th Mar 2014, 15:24
A pub in Morningside here in Edinburgh was renamed the Morningside Glory (in similarly proportioned fonts). The genteel ladies of that suburb were up in arms. :p
On this side of the pond, the slang term is "Morning Wood" but that may be mostly a southern thing.

Looks like the SEALs did what they do. Nice job, gentlemen! :ok:

ORAC
17th Mar 2014, 15:32
08lyFntrieA

Gordy
17th Mar 2014, 15:56
Job well done----I just left Cyprus on Saturday. The place sure has changed since the 80's.

500N
17th Mar 2014, 16:42
RGB

Another good one :ok:

Dak Man
17th Mar 2014, 16:46
I trained with a student pilot from Malawi and his name was Glory - it led to no end of fun in the AM. I never quite figured out if he understood what was going on.

meadowrun
17th Mar 2014, 16:51
Must of been like a training exercise for them. Just a doddle. I note NK promptly de-flagged it. No oil for YOU, Kimmie. Got to love the freighter business, owned by who knows through a dozen offshore holding companies, crewed by mostly whoever is cheapest and flagged by anyone who wants the $s of convenience.

500N
17th Mar 2014, 16:57
NK has a habit of lasing ships to foreign armed forces.

They lost one here in Aus when they were trying to supply Drugs and the Australia SF / SAS boarded it and took control in extremely rough seas.

The Australian Gov't eventually sank it by bombing it at sea using the RAAF :ok:

Lon More
17th Mar 2014, 16:58
Is that Gainsey on the sleeve there Lonewolf?

Caboclo
17th Mar 2014, 18:11
I'm with Reagan on this one. I'm tired of getting involved in everyone else's messes. Our military intervention was illegal, and now Obama is trying to prop up the government he established. Nothing against the Seals, but really, how hard is it to capture a tanker from 3 guards? If the Libyans can't even do that by themselves, they're not worth supporting. Our involvement there will be about as profitable as it was in Egypt, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc etc etc.

rgbrock1
17th Mar 2014, 18:14
Cabolco:

So when the Libyan "government", as well as the Cypriot government, asked for assistance in recovering their oil tanker we should have told them to stuff it? What about the next time a ship, oil tanker or not, is taken over by pirates and we're asked for assistance? Stuff it again?

500N
17th Mar 2014, 18:27
Cab

"but really, how hard is it to capture a tanker from 3 guards?"

Firstly, it's might not be "just three guards". Assume worst case.

Secondly, boarding a ship under way is not the easiest of things to do without the right assets or if not practised. Yes, I know the Somalians do it with skiffs and grappling hooks but not the best or easiest way.

And thirdly, the US couldn't have said no otherwise the Libyans would have had to ask "the originals" and got the UK Gov't to get the British Armed forces out for a demo :O

That really would get up RGB's nose :p and wouldn't be cricket, would it
since the Brits showed them all those years ago how to do it ;)

tony draper
17th Mar 2014, 19:17
Might be different had the crew been a crowd of hairy arsed Scouse Firemen Donkeymen and ABs.
:E

charliegolf
17th Mar 2014, 21:51
When are the funerals?

CG