PDA

View Full Version : Dogs going to the UK (as opposed to the UK going to the dogs) for a change...

airship
16th Mar 2014, 14:37
In case anyone missed it, I give you "The Dogs Of War" (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-26576002), a heart-warming tail from the BBC News on this Sunday afternoon.

(WARNING: The content may have some aviation context, but is generally "work-friendly" and definitely "dog or cat-friendly"!)

PS. Now then, now then, more info here (http://www.nowzad.com/).

DX Wombat
16th Mar 2014, 15:13
I like the fact that Nowzad has an education programme for local people instead of just removing the dogs to other countries where they simply compound the problems of the strays there. Rescue of a dog from abroad is fine but it means another dog in the country to which the rescued one is taken is less fortunate. Education in situ, as Nowzad is undertaking, as well as neutering of strays goes a long way to solving the problem.

airship
16th Mar 2014, 15:37
DX wrote: Education in situ, as Nowzad is undertaking, as well as neutering of strays goes a long way to solving the problem. Unfortunetly, strays are a problem which afflict us (perhaps even more so in the 1st World) and will never be truly resolved hopefully (as that might mean taking very drastic measures...).

However, I do take some comfort from: But Miss Hastie said she had seen relatively few instances of deliberate cruelty to animals. (presumably talking about Afghanistan). That, together with the fact that there are so many strays surviving there, somehow convinces me that Afghans are probably no more cruel to dogs, cats and other animals than anyone else or anywhere else. I'm sure that the average Afghan either has (or knows someone who has) an AK47 or other arm, which could easily be used to shoot strays if they really wanted to or were so bothered, when they see them feeding in the rubbish (or even "leftovers" purposedly left outside)...?!

PS. Helping ex. servicemen with all the requisite formalities etc. in order to be reunited with their Afghani hounds and pudicats etc. warrants a special mention!

airship
19th Mar 2014, 19:44
Strange. Threads about dogs / cats usually get a few responses here in JB. Unusual that this one didn't. Uhmmm. :confused:

Whatever, came across this BBC news report (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-26651625) about Roxy: A solicitor has pleaded guilty to cruelty after she left her dog to starve to death in a house in Bristol.
Katy Gammon, 27, from Lawrence Weston, locked boxer dog Roxy in the kitchen of her house with no food or water and tied the door shut with rope.
The body of the dog was only discovered after neighbours called the police. The RSPCA said Roxy had died a slow and painful death over three to six days.
Gammon had left the five-year-old dog in the house for around ten weeks and when she returned she looked through the letterbox and could not go inside because the smell was so bad... :sad:

Yet to know that some here often use the general topic of "animal cruelty" so easily when it comes to denigrating others who profess another religion (which is not CofE) or similar etc., is perhaps even more sad...?!

Good luck to all our 4-legged friends. And may Roxy find "someone else" at that mythical "Rainbow Bridge"...?!

rgbrock1
19th Mar 2014, 19:54
Dogs of war, airship? And then you post that? What a disappointment. Here I thought you were going to provide a link to some mercenaries taking it to the bad guys, firing 'em up with some heavy-duty lead, a few claymore mines and several frag grenades just to be sure. And then I see that.

Not fair. :{

airship
19th Mar 2014, 20:21
rgbrock1, dogs (or generally 4-legged creatures) of "War And Peace (http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=8388331)". Unlike the author of that 1,225 long pages work by Leo Tolstoy, airship was merely looking forward to a few more replies. And who knows, perhaps it might get into 2 pages here...?! ;)