PDA

View Full Version : So right on...!

Cacophonix
16th Mar 2014, 07:57
So smug, so patronising and so wrong...!

Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex - Comment - Voices - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/genderspecific-books-demean-all-our-children-so-the-independent-on-sunday-will-no-longer-review-anything-marketed-to-exclude-either-sex-9194694.html)

There I was sitting looking out of my study window, admiring the cloudless sky, Atlanta Rhythm Section gently massaging my ear drums, PPRuNe nestling in a window on my laptop with a cup of tea to hand when I suddenly started to waste my eyesight on the piece of ordure linked to above and suddenly realised why some supposedly liberal or left wing view points can be so damned fascist and so antithetical to the very freedoms they purport to serve.

While I agree that nobody should be pigeon holed and that one's sex does not tie one into any particular life choice or set of abilities or interests (jeez you can even change your sex if you want these weird days) the sheer self indulgent stupidity of refusing to review a piece of literature because it dares not to have a token male or female in it or dares to allow for the fact that men and women are different makes me think of book burnings and other forms of literary fascism...

Maybe I should point out to the woman that penned that article (and policy) that an exegesis of the experiences of a male prostitute's experiences in the New York bath houses of the 70s might be, perforce, pretty gender specific and might be good literature but according to her dull formula would not be acceptable because it is, gender specific...

Oh you might opine, the theme I identified above is an adult one and therefore doesn't apply to children and avoids the formulaic proscription on review in her rag and I would then point out that children read everything from Aeschylus, through Tin Tin, What Katy Did, Wuthering Heights to The Story of O and don't need to be patronised by right on sensible adults with an angle on sexual politics and another angle to grind. Don't demean children with this schlock like thinking, they will see right though you.

Have I missed the point, have I lost the plot...?

Caco

Hydromet
16th Mar 2014, 08:14
Have I missed the point, have I lost the plot...?Nup!
and another few characters.

thing
16th Mar 2014, 08:43
You missed the plot by wasting money on said rag in the first place. Last bought a newspaper in 1988.

Ogre
16th Mar 2014, 09:00
A good few years ago the local library had a clear out and sold off all the old books. At the time we had young kids, so we picked up a few kiddies books that they could learn to read with.

One book looked simple enough, mummy was at home doing things around the house when her kiddies came hime from school. But when you looked into it, mummy was doing all the odd jobs around the house (putting up shelves, changing light bulbs, fixing the car), and all the pictures hung on the walls had some serious sexist overtones. No sign of a male parent whatsoever.

That one didn't get read to the kiddies

Cacophonix
16th Mar 2014, 09:07
One book looked simple enough, mummy was at home doing things around the house when her kiddies came hime from school. But when you looked into it, mummy was doing all the odd jobs around the house (putting up shelves, changing light bulbs, fixing the car), and all the pictures hung on the walls had some serious sexist overtones. No sign of a male parent whatsoever.

Your point is well made. I suspect the zealot who penned the article linked to would probably find your point unacceptable though because it shows how empowered the woman was and that is all that is important in her policy after all.

Sexual politics played out through children ... ugh!

Caco

Cacophonix
16th Mar 2014, 11:53
Cacophonix's better half is far better at building and wood work than he is.

A couple of years ago we had a builder come in to build a driveway to her plan and specification.

The builder sent in a strapping lad with an angle grinder to cut down the front wrought iron fence that was going to be moved elsewhere. The young chap was dithering around much to her irritation (to quote her "why is he titting around like that?") and eventually filled with indignation she took the appliance from him and showed him how to do the job properly.

I have subsequently bought her an angle grinder for her birthday...

Caco

Tankertrashnav
16th Mar 2014, 12:35
Childrens' books

John's in the garden, playing goodies and baddies
Jane's in her bedroom playing mummies and daddies
Mum's in the kitchen, washing and wiping
Dad's in his study, stereotyping.

Capetonian
16th Mar 2014, 16:40
Presumably shops selling women's lingerie will soon be banned by the PC brigade, along with 'menswear' in shop names and department stores.

lomapaseo
16th Mar 2014, 17:02

Quite normal in our house. If she thinks it needs doing then she does it. Not to be asking me as she knows I will just say to live with it

Lon More
16th Mar 2014, 17:59
Caco's girlfriend?

Angle grinder in Burlesque show

llondel
16th Mar 2014, 18:03
I once bought my wife a pillar drill for her birthday, and a grinding wheel on another occasion.

Piper.Classique
16th Mar 2014, 20:41
My husband once bought me a chain saw for Christmas

ChrisVJ
17th Mar 2014, 04:57
Gees, I don't know about a pillar drill but if I bought Mrs VJ a chain saw I'd have to spend a week looking for my lower half and it wouldn't be a tidy cut either.

sitigeltfel
17th Mar 2014, 05:57
I once bought my wife a pillar drill for her birthday, and a grinding wheel on another occasion.

Women like a good grinding!

Buster Hyman
17th Mar 2014, 07:10
My Daughter was raised on the usual suspects of literature. The giants like Dr. Seuss & P.L.Travers... Having been indoctrinated by all those sexist books, how has she turned out?

Well, she is able to point out any perceived bias in the media or 'Hollywood' culture. She gets irked by the lack of female role models, and all other things that are unequal. My point being that she learned & discerned all these things on her own. She wasn't raised a Bolshie or anything stupid like that, but her intelligence has shone through to the point that she is capable of forming an opinion & I am proud of her.

She didn't need any Left wing New speak to tell her what she should think or what is right. She doesn't follow us blindly in our political opinions. She is a young adult making sense of the world in her own way, and her own time, and no one, not us or a glorified rag should tell her how to think & how to act!...(within reason...:E)

Cacophonix
17th Mar 2014, 07:18
Buster

Well put!

A friend noted the following salient points yesterday and I am sure he won't mind me quoting him verbatim...

Why is that these 'liberal' wimmin and 'men' are absolutely convinced
that

1) sexuality is innate (gay gene, etc) and natural and should never be
repressed by society

but

2) gender roles are entirely socially constructed and that's a good thing,
so good that it should be enforced by society

Shurely shome contradiction ed?

Funny thing is I like to think my views are more liberal than not, but nonsense and shoddy policies like the Independent's just boil my piss.

Caco

MagnusP
17th Mar 2014, 08:59
Presumably shops selling women's lingerie will soon be banned by the PC brigade

Cape, bloody right! We should ALL have the right to wear lingerie. Ooops. :O