PDA

View Full Version : IN MEMORIAM

Trossie
15th Mar 2014, 19:35
Iulius caesar interfectus est hodie. MMLVIII annos.

Cacophonix
15th Mar 2014, 19:43
Ware the ides of March or "Infamy, they have all got it in for me"...

Infamy - YouTube

Caco

Donkey497
15th Mar 2014, 19:46
For some reason, I always think of it being the 17th......

Cacophonix
15th Mar 2014, 20:01
Idus Martiae definitely the Ides of March and the day that I was taught that JC got his...

Caco

Tankertrashnav
15th Mar 2014, 20:59
Donkey - never on the 17th. The Ides occurred near the midpoint of the month, on the 13th for most months, but on the 15th for March, May, July, and October.

Jenkins

Civile, si ergo
Fortibus es in ero
Nobile, deis trux
Votis inem - causan dux

;)

Donkey497
15th Mar 2014, 21:11
Yup, I know the roman habits regarding their calendar & not numbering specific days of the month & I know the Ides are the 15th for March (but bit every month), just that every year I keep thinking that its the 17th.......:(:(

Bene Ominbus. Latine loqui amet valde placet. ............ I think............... Ooh that dragged over a few long dormant grey cells

Cacophonix
15th Mar 2014, 21:45
Such pig Latin, jokes and japes are grist to the Latin teacher's mill and shorten dreary classes and declensions by many minutes as any fule kno! ;)

Caco

Ascend Charlie
15th Mar 2014, 21:46
The above Latin translates as :

"I told him, Julie, don't go! It's the Ides of March already! I told him, Julie, don't go!"
"I don't blame him for going..."

pigboat
15th Mar 2014, 22:36
rR_5h8CzRcI

Ascend Charlie check your PMs in about 10 minutes.

gingernut
15th Mar 2014, 22:46
non te nothi

Illegitimi non carborundum

Windy Militant
15th Mar 2014, 23:08
Actually I quite like the Ides of march! ;)
Vehicle - The Ides Of March - YouTube

gunbus
15th Mar 2014, 23:39
Et tu Brute

AKA Lonmorius Prickius dick hedius, since it was this lot wot startius itus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2K8_jgiNqUc

Keef
16th Mar 2014, 01:07
Beatus vir qui non abiit in consilio impiorum...

Pinky the pilot
16th Mar 2014, 01:24
As I get older I sometimes wish I had been able to study Latin at school. However at the boarding school I attended only those who were going to enter the seminary were able to do so.

So for the benefit of others such as myself, would posters please also include the English translations with their posts?:cool:

Or do I have to call on a couple of Centurions to lean on you!:E:D

Keef
16th Mar 2014, 01:32
Googleus translator amicus tuus est!

Pinky the pilot
16th Mar 2014, 07:39
That will probably be what I will have to do, Keef.:ok:

Unfortunately don't know of any Centurions around here.:E:D

thing
16th Mar 2014, 08:56
Ah the private life of the Gerund. Fascinating.

Ascend Charlie
16th Mar 2014, 08:59
For brevity, that Youchoob video left out a lot of the funny bits like "Friends! Romans! Countrymen! Lend me your ears!" "Yeah? What's in that bag?" "Ears!"
and the fee of 1000 drachmas a day "you're one short!". "Oh, you've got a good ear!" "I've got a sackful of good ears!"

Classic 50s radio comedy.

Cacophonix
16th Mar 2014, 09:02
Ah the private life of the Gerund

One reason I have always liked the name Amanda...

"She who is going to be loved"...

Caco

603DX
16th Mar 2014, 11:51
Premonition, or what?

"Let me have men about me that are fat,
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep o'nights,
Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look,
He thinks too much,
Such men are dangerous ... "

How perceptive Julius was in his musing, according to Shakespeare's version! Remembered from almost 6 decades ago (without googling, honest!) as I stood on stage as an extra in Roman soldier's uniform for the two-nights run of our school production of Julius Caesar. My own lines were simple to remember, "Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb" in the crowd scenes in the forum, followed by holding one end of the stretcher we used to carry Caesar's body off stage. I didn't bother applying for an Equity card after this role ... ;)

oxenos
16th Mar 2014, 13:58
Θεν καταλεβένω

thing
16th Mar 2014, 14:52
as I stood on stage as an extra in Roman soldier's uniform The teenagers at my school who were doing English Lit were regularly shunted off to Stratford to see the Bard's work. As one of them, and not being as appreciative as I probably should have been, I used to take great delight in pulling faces at the extras to try and break them. My pal Walsh use to join me in these endeavours, once feigning death by flopping over the balcony after I strangled him in a mock fight. We never managed to make any impression.

Keef
16th Mar 2014, 20:43
Did you mean
Δεν καταλαβαίνω
?

ChrisVJ
17th Mar 2014, 05:44
H Crun

Didn't go to Teddies did you? Or was that grace used at schools across the country?

ChrisVJ

oxenos
17th Mar 2014, 13:43
" Did you mean
Δεν καταλαβαίνω
?"
Yes, spell checker does not work in greek.
Συγγνώμη

Cacophonix
17th Mar 2014, 13:45
You can spot the classically educated Oxbridge folks on this thread for sure... ;)

So was it weeni, weedy weeky or with the V sound guys?

Caco

Limeygal
17th Mar 2014, 14:11
weeni, weedy weeky

Ah, I see you are a "1066 and All That" fan

Cacophonix
17th Mar 2014, 14:25
Ah, I see you are a "1066 and All That" fan

I am but apparently in the manner of life imitating art, there was a genuine debate between the dons at Oxford and Cambridge with one or other of the universities plumping for the W pronunciation vis a vis the V (if you will)... :ok:

I am not sure what the Dons in New York think save to worry that they think I show them no respect...

Caco

603DX
17th Mar 2014, 14:28
In the absence of any recordings on wax cylinders, vinyl discs, magnetic tapes or iPods from the period of the Latin-speaking Roman Empire, no-one knows how they pronounced their vees or wees.

MagnusP
17th Mar 2014, 14:32
wax cylinders, vinyl discs,

Sorry, 603, the Romans used vax cylinders and winyl discs.

Happy to help.

603DX
17th Mar 2014, 14:49
Hoc est ridiculam ego risum leviter ;)

Cacophonix
17th Mar 2014, 15:03
In the absence of any recordings on wax cylinders, vinyl discs, magnetic
tapes or iPods from the period of the Latin-speaking Roman Empire, no-one
knows how they pronounced their vees or wees.

Apparently they study Roman graffiti on the assumption that the graffiti artists are illiterate and more likely to spell phonetically...

Caco

Flash2001
17th Mar 2014, 16:24
Kilroy hic erat!

Trossie
18th Mar 2014, 10:27
Henry, I know this is sidetracking somewhat from the fate of poor Julius, but how is Miss Bannister these days?

Solid Rust Twotter
18th Mar 2014, 19:39
Ms Bannister remains a slave to that sinful Caucasian knee dancing...:suspect:

Tankertrashnav
19th Mar 2014, 09:36
Δεν καταλαβαίνω

At my grammar school you had the option of taking Greek or German from the 3rd form onwards (French and Latin were compulsory). Always regretted opting for German in spite of some gentle pushing from the head who didnt want it to die out in his school (it did).

Re "weeny, weedy and weaky" - as a Catholic who had been immersed in "hard V" Latin since an early age, I got very confused when I started to learn Latin at a school which taught the other pronunciation.

Keef
20th Mar 2014, 00:48
My school was very similar. When the choice came I was lucky and did German, which I then used over 30-odd years of work. Greek came much later, when studying New Testament.

I recall from my A-Level Latin master (a fine chap!) that the way Latin is pronounced can be derived from the way poetry scans and works. There is also some philological analysis, but that wasn't my area and I'm not into the details of it. IIRC the modern Italian pronunciation of Latin (for example "veechee" for vici and "chayleece" for caelis) are post-sound-shift.

Hydromet
20th Mar 2014, 01:31
One of my favourite scenes in 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' is where the British Officer is talking to the Greek peasants in classical Greek.

Effluent Man
20th Mar 2014, 07:13
Brings to mind the wonderful Patrick Leigh-Fermor (Google him if you don't know his story) who kidnapped a Nazi General and then discussed Greek classics with him.His stories of hiking across late 1930's Europe are some of the best I have ever read. (A Time of Gifts and Between the Woods and the Water)

Tankertrashnav
20th Mar 2014, 09:33
One of my favourite scenes in 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' is where the British Officer is talking to the Greek peasants in classical Greek.

Similarly in Officers and Gentlemen by Evelyn Waugh, Guy Crouchback wants to go to confession but cant find an English speaking Catholic priest where he is in Egypt, so confesses in Latin.

Trossie
20th Mar 2014, 18:58
(But verbs conjugate, no matter how irregular. Nouns decline?)

Tell her that old Bloodnock has the Poonah sherry ready. That should get her knees knocking to the thoughts of those sinful modern rhythms!

(And he has some Catullus poems to read to her too, the filthy swine!)