PDA

View Full Version : Norton vs. McAfee

Squawk7777
17th May 2002, 14:52
Hello!

I am (still) uncertain which of the two to buy: Norton's or McAfee's anti-virus and firewall software. Price doesn't really matter since they almost cost the same. Any ppruners out here who can recommend either program?

Thanks

7 7 7 7

What_does_this_button_do?
17th May 2002, 22:30
My vote is for Norton. If you trawl through this forum you will see lots of messages regarding "McAffee missed this".

B

Agent86
18th May 2002, 01:13
I have MacAfee on my desktop and laptop. So far so good with virus protection!

However. I bought MacAfee internet security thinking I needed a firewall for ADSL... what a load of .... First off you needed to download a patch after installation to get anything to run. I found this out after 3 install /uninstalls. The firewall component is flaky in that the logs show you are unprotected when the program switch/icon is set to protected. It doesn't work with ICS and the internet security is only good for the single computer and relies upon a login when the computer starts up. So if you want any other user to have restrcted access reboot!

So now I have a Netgear RP114 NAT router for sharing and only the anti virus component of MacAfee installed.

Must reports on this site seem to give a thumbs up to ZoneAlarm for a firewall.
My personal experience says to steer clear of suites as they are a hotch potch of programs and pick the best of exactly what you need.

MAx

gofer
18th May 2002, 05:51
My company's IS guru's have just voted with their feet and ordered a transfer from McAfee to Norton.

The latter has the better research DB for general Virus info certainly.

On the home PC, I went for a freebee - probably because I've never heard of a freebee from CA - but its good and it catches things as fast as the others - at least so far.

InoculateIT Personal Edition (http://www.cai.com/):cool:

There are some others also try here (http://www.zdnet.com) under Downloads (top right).