PDA

View Full Version : Close, of course.

Davaar
14th Mar 2014, 18:01
Perhaps a word of appreciation to PM senders and others who have kindly noticed one's absence and return. Thank you all.

This was not one of those "I think I may have ..." threads, but a "Golly! I've got ..."

The cancer operation was on 11 June 2013, followed by "the complications", "the indignities and discomforts", the discharges (x 4) and the readmissions (x 4) to Emergency, the discharge to the several months of daily nurse (great ladies!) visit at home. Good surgeon. Not so good brutal junior lady doctor. Enough.

Never one to seek a boring life, had a contest with a big insect when recovering the paper at the door, fell and broke left humerus. Several weeks of bonus pain. Eczema infection at hospital, at which all baffled. Then gout pains. There were some other minor actions. Still enough.

One is now more or less mobile, but has one of those "cripple" stickers for the car. What a wonderful invention! No trouble now in parking. One tires easily and sleeps a lot.

Weight this AM was 109 lbs. , but looking, as we are told, "frail" one receives great courtesy at the Mall from young ladies, elderly ladies, elderly gentlemen, youthful hoodies ("You're welcome, Sir!", as they open the door), and so on.

One gave but the one fixed firm instruction to the medical profession: "NO Chemo or Radiotherapy, and I mean NO.

They tell me the big C is gone, "....but we'll not know for a year or two, will we?". Chuckle! Chuckle!. That's enough space. Thanks again.

TBirdFrank
14th Mar 2014, 18:03
Welcome back young man - good to hear from you again! :ok:

Capetonian
14th Mar 2014, 18:07
Welcome back, sorry to hear of all you've been through, may life be kinder to you from now on.

tony draper
14th Mar 2014, 18:08
Glad to see you back Mr Davaar, we near had you written out of the script.:rolleyes:

jimtherev
14th Mar 2014, 18:08
Three cheers!

rgbrock1
14th Mar 2014, 18:21
Welcome back my friend to the show that never ends
We're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside.

Glad to see ya again, Davaar. :ok:

Rionart
14th Mar 2014, 18:37
For a return such as this I'll emerge out of 'Lurker' mode...
Welcome back Sir!...now lets see about putting some meat on those bones!

vulcanised
14th Mar 2014, 18:40
Indeed, welcome back Mr Davaar !

Some clues there as to why I (perhaps against common sense) stay clear of hospitals these days.

ricardian
14th Mar 2014, 18:46
Glad to see you survived your operations & infections Mr Davaar

Krystal n chips
14th Mar 2014, 19:10
" Weight this AM was 109 lbs "

You do realise Victoria Beckham will have fainted in envy when she learns this don't you !

So lets get this straight....you had a little sojourn in hospital, got waited on, had a bit of TLC into the bargain, came out, thought, "Hmmm ? could be onto a winner here....time for a reprise....just need a Baldric style cunning plan "...which you clearly came up with and, lo and behold, a winter hibernation plot was hatched!.

Of course, all good things come to an end, however, by now you have fine tuned your plans to the extent you feel confident enough to try them out on an unsuspecting public.....and, to judge from your comments, "works like a dream !".....

One will now include a :D and :ok:....for the benefit of the " intellectually suppressed" on here.....which, Mr Davaar, you are most certainly not.

Wholigan
14th Mar 2014, 19:17
Best bit of news I've heard in a long while. Welcome back Mr Davaar sir.

ChrisVJ
14th Mar 2014, 19:18
I am very pleased to see you back Davaar.

ChrisVJ

Lon More
14th Mar 2014, 19:30
Maybe not appropriate but, Lang may your lum reek

cavortingcheetah
14th Mar 2014, 19:35
Excellent news and congratulations to you and yours on the battles won and the scent of victory.

G-CPTN
14th Mar 2014, 19:45
'Tis heartening when 'lost lambs' return to the fold. :D

I wish you better health and the ability to enjoy it.

vee-tail-1
14th Mar 2014, 19:48
May I join in the welcome :ok:

flapsforty
14th Mar 2014, 19:55
"O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!", she chortles in Ghana.

airship
14th Mar 2014, 20:04
Best bit of news I've heard in a long while. Welcome back Mr Davaar sir. ditto from me!

PS. Also nice to see the chortler in Ghana grace us all by her over-rare presence...?! :uhoh:;)

goudie
14th Mar 2014, 20:05
What everyone else has said, with a touch of gratitude that you're still with us Davaar.

Limeygal
14th Mar 2014, 20:05
Glad you are feeling tip top again. Welcome back

500N
14th Mar 2014, 20:15
Great to hear and great to see you posting again :ok:

Hopefully for a long time to come.

This piece of good news had put a smile on my face this morning.

Davaar
14th Mar 2014, 21:06
[Tis heartening when lost lambs return to the fold]

Thank you. My sentiments too:

[There were ninety and nine that safely lay
In the shelter of the fold
But one was out on the hills away,
Far off from the gates of gold.
Away on the mountains wild and bare,
Away from the tender Shepherd's care.
Away from the tender Shepherd's care]

etc.

[But none of the ransomed ever knew
How deep were the waters crossed;
Nor how dark was the night the Lord passed through
Ere he found his sheep that was lost.
Out in the desert he heard its cry
Sick and helpless and ready to die
Sick and helpless and ready to die.]

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Mar 2014, 21:11
Good to see you back, Mr Davaar.:ok:

May one suggest a large spoon of malt extract with meals, and enormous steaks between spoons of malt.

That'll fettle yer...

Lon More
14th Mar 2014, 21:13
The malt of course to be of the single variety.

tony draper
14th Mar 2014, 21:18
As urchins we got a large spoonful of malt every night, horrid stuff, and a spoonful of cod liver oil every morning,equally horrid but thankfully from a smaller spoon.
:(

GrumpyOldFart
14th Mar 2014, 21:24
Welcome back, squire. Thought for a while you'd been abducted by aliens, or da leeberals, or summat.

fell and broke left humerus

That's not funny.

Keef
14th Mar 2014, 23:36
He's back! Great to see you in print again, respected sir! One will pester the boss a little less for the time being.

ChrisVJ
15th Mar 2014, 03:33
"As urchins we got a large spoonful of malt every night, horrid stuff, and a spoonful of cod liver oil every morning,equally horrid but thankfully from a smaller spoon."

We got malt too. I loved that stuff. I was trying to find it to use in making bread (The 'Hovis' taste) but no one has it, even health shops.

CoodaShooda
15th Mar 2014, 05:19
Never has there been a more welcome thread started on JB, Davaar. :D:D

Welcome back indeed. Hopefully your recuperative state will see you ensconced at a keyboard, in front of a screen, with many contributions to come.

Perhaps, it is time to contribute your recollections to the WW2 Pilot's Brevet thread on the Military forum. It has moved well beyond the confines of its title and is a virtual crew room for those of a certain era (and a source of wonder for those of us who have come along later.)

Loose rivets
15th Mar 2014, 06:12
Wonderful news! Not a day . . . well, a week went by without a thought.

I trust the humerus is not too closely connected to the writing bones. There's been a dearth, you know.

beaufort1
15th Mar 2014, 09:00
Good to see you back Davaar. :ok:

Tricky Woo
15th Mar 2014, 13:17
Have a shot or two on me, Mr Davaar.

TW

603DX
15th Mar 2014, 13:41
I believe that at the start of your further bout of trials and tribulations last year, I wished you "favourable winds", Mr Davaar. Isn't it simply marvellous when you get what you wish for? Congratulations! :)

Solid Rust Twotter
15th Mar 2014, 15:50
We got malt too. I loved that stuff. I was trying to find it to use in making bread (The 'Hovis' taste) but no one has it, even health shops.

Get to your local home brew supplier. They keep tins of the stuff for the kit beer brewers.

BenThere
15th Mar 2014, 16:13
Truly and sincerely warmed my heart to see your moniker on page 1 again. You are a respected elder statesman here, perhaps the best we have.

Your struggles to stay alive, to face the challenges of age and affliction head on, with the grace to address it all forthrightly, is cause for deep admiration in my view.

We try to deny it, especially when we're young, but life is fatal. We're all going to end at some point, but we just don't know when. Those, like you, who take up the axe and do battle with the reaper, are people I treasure, as I do you.

So gratifying to see your return to JB. Godspeed!

MadsDad
15th Mar 2014, 16:19
Please, welcome back Davaar. Neither of us know the other but then again I didn't know Asimov but still loved his writing. Anyway I gibber, but

We got malt too. I loved that stuff.

I remember being fed malt, in the form of Virol. I loved the stuff, used to steal extra spoonfulls.

And, after a quick goggle, apparently you can still buy the stuff. Must recommend it to 'tLad for use of the grandson.

handsfree
15th Mar 2014, 16:39
Davaar I know you not and will never meet you but I can honestly say I have missed your presence.
A very big welcome back and long may it continue.

GrumpyOldFart
15th Mar 2014, 17:19
Ben:

You are a respected elder statesman here, perhaps the best we have.

Yeah, well, maybe now that Slasher's gone...

:E

BenThere
15th Mar 2014, 17:31
Slasher had his place, and carved out a unique profile most of us appreciated. But Davaar is, and always was on a higher plane. I'm sure Slasher would agree.

david1300
16th Mar 2014, 00:40
And my very hearty "welcome back" is added to this number :ok: I specially like your post on the previous page :)

parabellum
16th Mar 2014, 01:40
Welcome back Davaar! Glad to hear you won the battle, long may it remain so.

Keplar's Malt, used to have a huge jar of the stuff, one desert spoonful a day, supposed to help build up and restore strength after a debilitating illness. I actually liked it!

Smeagol
16th Mar 2014, 11:08
Ditto to all the previous comments.

I may be mostly a 'lurker' but I have missed your erudite postings and comments.

Great to have you back!

Worrals in the wilds
16th Mar 2014, 11:39
Glad you're back and well. :ok:

pulse1
16th Mar 2014, 12:33
There was me thinking that Pprune has become a shadow of its former self and, there it was, the name Davaar lurking under an obscure heading on JB. Not only that, a welcome back from other names who have kept me entertained and informed over the years.

All is right with the world again. Great to see you back Davaar.

arcniz
16th Mar 2014, 14:06
One hundred nine pounds! Your average sentence used to be in the 120's....

Good to have you back!

Dushan
16th Mar 2014, 14:58
Wonderful news; glad to have you back, sir. Mrs. D was asking about you, the other day. She does have some hidden powers.

Foxy Loxy
16th Mar 2014, 16:31
Nice to have you back Mr Davaar :)
I always enjoy your contributions.

finfly1
16th Mar 2014, 20:24
SO VERY GLAD to be able to quit the nerve wracking weekly perusals of relevant obit sites. Words fail me; take the very best care of yourself!

4mastacker
16th Mar 2014, 20:54
Welcome back sir. To say "one thing after another" would be a bit of an understatement.

Groundgripper
16th Mar 2014, 22:36
Excellent news - a good day just got even better.

One of the most notable stars in the PPRuNe firmament, having waned, just waxed bright again when many thought not to see it further.

Long may it so remain.

Some would think smilies inappropriate - I beg to differ.

:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

GG

brickhistory
16th Mar 2014, 22:58
Mr. Davaar,

I come to pprune to learn and to enjoy the wit sometimes displayed.

I can get both qualities with your contributions here.

I am glad you held the line and pray that it remains so for a long while.

Since we aren't likely to meet in this world, I hope I may buy a round in the heavenly bar at a much later date.

Best regards.

BlueDiamond
17th Mar 2014, 01:48
Never has there been a more welcome thread started on JB, Davaar.
I concur. SO good to see our wordsmith back; we have missed your presence hereabouts. May your health continue to improve and your posts to increase. :ok:

angels
17th Mar 2014, 12:07
Marvellous. There were a lot of people batting for you. I'm genuinely moved by the love on this thread.

Welcome back with all my heart. :ok:

Oh, and go on a diet of fish and chips fried in beef dripping. :}