PDA

View Full Version : Zone Alarm

boofhead
17th May 2002, 14:00
If I leave the computer for a while I cannot get onto the internet unless I set Zone Alarm (free version) to medium security. I assume that this leaves me open to outside access.

Anyone else have this problem?

If Zone Alarm is not going to work for me, is there another downloadable firewall I can use?

Bob Brown
17th May 2002, 15:13
Have you checked the 'Lock' settings? I leave my machine on-line 24x7 and dont have a problem with Zone Alarm.

FL310
17th May 2002, 17:19
Again just very little info to guess what your problem is....if you run XP, make sure to have the built-in firewall switched off...

boofhead
17th May 2002, 19:17
Yes it is XP, and I was not aware of a built-in firewall. I did a search for it, but could not find such an animal. How do I turn it off (or on)?

shaqbutt
19th May 2002, 11:49
Go Network connections, right-click on your particular dial-up, select properties, then the advanced tab which should give the firewall dialogue.

And good luck

boofhead
19th May 2002, 16:37
With a little searching I had found it, thanks. I am presently using the XP firewall and have set Zone Alarm to Minimum, which is working well for me so far as the programs are operating without hangups, but now I wonder if the XP firewall is good enough? Surely it cannot be that simple?

FL310
19th May 2002, 16:48
I can only strongly recommend, that if you use ZoneAlarm, you switch off the XP firewall. There are plenty of reports that they do not get along well. It is not ZoneAlarm which creates the trouble...also other firewalls have problems with the XP built-in version.
And it is obvious for many out there after tests, that even a self-built firewall protects better than the XP one...

Chocks Wahay
20th May 2002, 17:23
Plus you can configure Zone Alarm to tell you when XP is trying to phone home & send data to Microsoft :-) You'll be surprised .....