PDA

View Full Version : IFE maps and unplanned events

HamishMcBush
13th Mar 2014, 21:19
So if your plane is suddenly made to deviate from its planned course due to an "unexpected event", can the aircrew disable the in-flight screens that show SLF's the route taken by the plane, or would it remain visible for all passengers to see where they were heading?

Donkey497
13th Mar 2014, 23:02
What would be the point?
You would need to be either a dead heading pilot or a really frequent flier spending all your time every flight following the route to be able to tell the difference. Most flights only follow a general routing only picking different options for different legs of the flight depending on weather and other events & in any case, precious few flights follow true great circle routes from point to point.
So, if you are a frequent flier you'll already know the general routes, but not the specific overfly points & probably won't care.

In know form my own flights I have done a fair amount of regular long haul UK to North America & UL to Far East & I don't think that I have ever followed the same exact route twice - there's always been something to put a deviation in the route like heavy thunderstorms over Middle east to SE Asia during monsoon season, different transatlantic tracks due to the location & depth of N Atlantic depressions. I can't say that I have been perturbed in any way & paid anything more than passing attention to any change of route.

spannersatcx
14th Mar 2014, 20:52
the cabin crew can turn the IFE off. :eek:

HamishMcBush
14th Mar 2014, 21:15
I know that the entire IFE can be turned off, but can the map function alone be disabled? I like to know where I am flying and I'm sure I am not alone on that point, so if a low profile was wanted in regard of an unplanned deviation, could the map be disabled and possibly be repalced by a "temporarily not available" note (or similar) so as not to arouse suspicion ?

dubbleyew eight
15th Mar 2014, 12:09
why would you need to disable anything?

I once asked a hostie for a red wine. "since we are deviating to tullamarine can I get a red wine before you shut the shop?"
why do you think we are deviating?
I point at obvious course deviation on map track.
ok then.
comes back with the wine and says "you're right. you picked it even before we were told"
nice red btw. thanks qantas.

Aus380
22nd Mar 2014, 02:19
I guess it depends on the IFE system but in new ones you can restrict individual IFE channels to the entire cabin or even individual seats, including the flight path. Our Panasonic system allows channels to be blocked at individual seats, and when there are unaccompanied minors travelling, we are supposed to restrict access of any program above a G rating to that seat.

Sometimes it is a worthwhile feature. Example, LAX to MEL with a lengthy delay to takeoff. Initial planned flight time would have crew just scraping in within their duty limitation. Lots of diverting around weather in the first 5 or 6 hours of the flight and stronger than forecast headwinds meant 7 hours before landing in Melbourne decision to divert to SYD was made and flight plan adjusted. Announcements not made as it was middle of the night and everyone was asleep but as they started to wake and check the flight path to see how long to go, surprise, the little dotted line to destination points to Sydney. Next 2 hours spent explaining individually why we were going to Sydney, no I'm not sure about your connection, etc, etc.