PDA

View Full Version : Unable to connect wirelessly

filthyrichandcatflap
13th Mar 2014, 10:30
Morning all,

I've recently purchased a HP Pavilion 10 Notebook with Windows 8 - I can connect it to a wired network but not wirelessly. All other PC's in the house are able to connect to my router wirelessly but not the new one - has anybody had a similar experience with the above notebook or have a solution ? (Apart from the wired one of course). The network key Im tapping in is correct but .....
rgds

OFSO
13th Mar 2014, 12:06
Disconnect every other device connected to the same router and try again with the new laptop. I have four devices connected (two by ethernet, two by wifi) to my router and experienced trouble connecting a Kindle until I'd disconnected other devices. I might say "go in the garden and try it" as the Kindle seems happier connecting on the terrace from inside the house. "Smog" from the DECT phones or the wireless weather station, maybe.

Mike-Bracknell
13th Mar 2014, 12:13
1) see whether you can update the firmware in the router or access point
2) see whether you can change the channel on the router or access point (as certain wifi channels are disabled in certain countries)

henry_crun
13th Mar 2014, 12:30
HP Pavilion x2 running Windows 8: wifi not working - HP Support Forum - 3308851 (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home-Networking/HP-Pavilion-x2-running-Windows-8-wifi-not-working/td-p/3308851)

Known problem - see link.

filthyrichandcatflap
13th Mar 2014, 12:53
Guys- many thanks for your replies so far - i'll give your suggestions a try tonight (hopefully) and report back.

rgds

CD:ok:

OFSO
13th Mar 2014, 13:56
see whether you can change the channel on the router

That's also a good suggestion. In my case I had many drop-outs of connection while the router was on automatic (as in "automatically find a free channel".) I did a scan, found I could see about 15 wifi routers from my house, picked a black-hole between them, and selected a channel there and set it fixed, manually. No more loss of lock.

supertin
17th Mar 2014, 06:15
In my case I had many drop-outs of connection while the router was on automatic (as in "automatically find a free channel".)

The idea with auto is it does exactly what you did - scan, find a gap, use it. Unfortunately few do it well.

filthyrichandcatflap
17th Mar 2014, 11:30
Many thanks for the replies - the solution was to download the latest drivers for the network adaptor - poor show by HP shipping it with old drivers me thinks .....:=