PDA

View Full Version : Web Site Stressed?

repariit
13th Mar 2014, 02:51
This web site is obviously hitting some limits due to the very high level of interest in the MH370 thread. When things calm down, I request that we get some guidance from the site managers as to what this means for the continuing use by registered users vs. guests.

Also, please provide those of us who are registered users guidance as to what to expect when there is such a spike in interest, and such a huge load of guests here. It is good to see success of the forum, but we need to know more about why we are cut out of the process during such peaks. The mods have no doubt reached exhaustion, and many registered users whose well intended posts have been deleted are feeling some degree of frustration. This is the first time that I have encountered the "go to some other thread" message in the years that I have been here. I feel that we should be told more about what causes such messages from the site operators.

YPPH_Dave
13th Mar 2014, 03:33
we need to know more about why we are cut out of the process during such peaks

Not sure what your comment above means?

In regards to the load on the server(s), I would assume that prior precedents wouldn't have prepared for this.

With nearly 7K users online at the moment, over 3M hits on the MH370 thread, the Database and the Front End are taking a bit of a hit.

The Mods are the thankless, unseen VOLUNTEERS that are trying to keep things on topic, weed out the crazy and stop MULTIPLE posts of the same info.

To be fair, I think the site has coped extremely well all considered.

If I was the forum admin, I would be putting a donation link somewhere on the site to allow those of us that think it's well worth it, put some cash towards the upkeep of the site and maybe allow some scalability (either with load balancing) or upgrades.

John in YVR
13th Mar 2014, 05:23
Can a guest post? Don't think so; so I doubt that guests are much of a stressor.

But I will admit that one thread getting nearly four million views (so far) is quite impressive. But glancing through the pages I see multiple name repeats so that probably means that about 100,000 different viewers logged on to read that thread.

(P.S. I see my post count is down to single digits. Wonder when it was reset.)

LongTimeInCX
13th Mar 2014, 06:36
Is there any merit on the site controllers also considering something along the lines of a short embargo period, that upon registering, one is unable to post for example until say 7 days have elapsed?
Whilst it may deny readers looking at the occasional informative gem from a newly registered and knowledgeable user, it would undoubtably stop a number of new posters from posting many of the posts which the mods subsequently delete, but which none the less often clog up the thread.

EDMJ
13th Mar 2014, 07:23
A very common misconception among Internet forum users is that one's use of a forum, e.g. by merely being registered for free as a user, implies some sort of rights and/or priviliges.

It doesn't.

Mikehotel152
13th Mar 2014, 07:59
If there are capacity issues, may I suggest the infrastructure is targeted and improved?

Any form of censorship will annoy current users. Prohibitions on new user posts will scare away new and potentially informative opinions.

Rustum
13th Mar 2014, 08:36
Hi

I am SLF and joined in 2009 during the search for AF447. I value the insights I gained from the professionals on those threads.

I am also irritated and frustrated by the amount of non-professional posts on the MH370 thread, the repetition of points by people who obviously don't read/skim/search the thread before posting, and the jokers' or absurdists' hypotheses. My hat off to the mods for trying to contain the madness.

Among other things, perhaps Admin can place a limit on number of posts by new members (if the software can do that) - say, one post per day. Or have a moratorium on new membership. Guests can still read the threads.

Professionals who want to join may feel aggrieved during such a moratorium, but maybe there's a way they can contact the mods and have their input posted. Not ideal, I know, but some sort of filter as disincentive for casually opinionated to get onto the boards.

(I know my recommendations contradict my own membership, but this is madness.)

DaveReidUK
13th Mar 2014, 08:46
Some might argue that, with a popular thread now approaching 3,000 posts, now might be a good time to think about getting the thread paging to work properly. :ugh:

Capn Bloggs
13th Mar 2014, 10:53
Deletions, perhaps? :}

Any form of censorship will annoy current users. Prohibitions on new user posts will scare away new and potentially informative opinions.
On the contrary, I'm sure that any half-decent post from someone that writes like they know about aeroplanes/aviation in a professional sense would not have their posts sensored. The riff raff, on the other hand...

500N
13th Mar 2014, 10:57
Dave

I think the problem is they are deleting so many posts at the same time that new one's are being added, the database is finding it hard to catch up.

Plus the bigger the thread the bigger the issue as a huge thread existed in Jet Blast that was having page numbering problems and as soon as a new thread was started, they went away.

Also, the Deputy senior mod gave a good explanation in a thread in JB on why they deleted certain posts at certain times in MH370. Worth reading.

Basil
13th Mar 2014, 11:28
Professional Pilots, that's what the website was started for. Of course the present owners can do as they please with it.
Re the missing aircraft thread: this professional pilot hasn't contributed to that because, like most others, he hasn't the faintest idea what happened.

BOAC
13th Mar 2014, 11:48
Also, the Deputy senior mod gave a good explanation in a thread in JB on why they deleted certain posts at certain times in MH370. Worth reading. - and concerning that thread movement appears to be driven by someone's idea of a 'good theme', no doubt boosting ad revenue for those who benefit.

The editing is, as usual, bizarre - I have seen perfectly reasonable, intelligent and useful posts disappear (presumably not fitting the 'script') while the tonnage of repeated questions, incorrect or well out of date info, stupid questions etc etc appears to be 'ok'.

Saab Dastard
13th Mar 2014, 12:19
This web site is obviously hitting some limits due to the very high level of interest in the MH370 thread. When things calm down, I request that we get some guidance from the site managers as to what this means for the continuing use by registered users vs. guests.

Also, please provide those of us who are registered users guidance as to what to expect when there is such a spike in interest, and such a huge load of guests here. It is good to see success of the forum, but we need to know more about why we are cut out of the process during such peaks. The mods have no doubt reached exhaustion, and many registered users whose well intended posts have been deleted are feeling some degree of frustration. This is the first time that I have encountered the "go to some other thread" message in the years that I have been here. I feel that we should be told more about what causes such messages from the site operators.

The simple fact of the matter is that there is no problem with the site, it is not over-stressed. There is only one reason why you have been denied access to the thread, and that is because you have been permanently banned from it by a moderator.

I do not know (and would not say even if I knew) who banned you nor why, but I would surmise that it had something to do with the quality of your contributions.

You may, of course, continue to read the thread by logging out and viewing the thread as a guest.

I trust that this provides you with the information that you requested.

Have a nice day.

SD

Saab Dastard
15th Mar 2014, 00:14
John in YVR

Nothing has reset your post count. The 8 posts you made in JB do not count towards your total. That means that of the 17 posts you have made in the last 15 years, just 9 are counted and, as at this time, 9 is the number under your name.

SD