PDA

View Full Version : To the mods

Mr Optimistic
12th Mar 2014, 23:57
Don't despair & thank you.

Mr Optimistic
13th Mar 2014, 00:07
I know you are taking a lot of flak on R&N bu dont be disheartened !

BenThere
13th Mar 2014, 00:45
Mods have pretty thick skins.

Thanks, Mods, for all you've done for us to keep the site flowing. Pprune has been a real plus in my existence and it wouldn't be possible without you.

Even though I've had some resentments and occasional clashes with Mods from time to time, I always have appreciated the often thankless job our Mods do.

Tip o' the hat and all the best to all the Pprune Mods.

500N
13th Mar 2014, 00:48
Ben There

Well said.

It is a nightmare of a job, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

As much as we sometimes get frustrated with dissapearing posts and threads, it is a good forum compared to some I have been on.

And at least Wholigan gives us plenty of warning(s) (normally) before doing something so we really only have ourselves to blame if it all turns to crap.

Pinky the pilot
13th Mar 2014, 00:54
Concur with the above posters.:ok:

I suspect that the 'marathon' thread running on R&N has caused a few extra grey hairs and IMHO the mods have shown remarkable restraint.

Mr Optimistic
13th Mar 2014, 01:00
Have you seen the insults ?

500N
13th Mar 2014, 01:04
Which Insults and where ?

PPRuNe Towers
13th Mar 2014, 01:22
Very sadly just too much experience over the years with these threads.

It's art not a science and the art it to get as near as possible to equal insults from both sides. Aggrieved aviation people hacked off with the non fliers' witterings and the non aviation types wildly angry at their pet theory being binned.

We don't moderate - we edit to create mini themes covering a couple pages of posts. So yesterday morning you'll have seen ACARS dominating with a couple of sub themes.

Overall aim. Keep the signal to noise ratio as near to bearable as possible.

I do admit messing up the keyboard though when I read this question: could a cargo of lions and tigers have escaped and reached the flight deck?

Rob

pigboat
13th Mar 2014, 01:32
Concur with the above posters. I check into that marathon on R&N every so often, and if the word [email protected]#$k did not exist it would have to be invented to describe it. :eek:

papershuffler
13th Mar 2014, 01:34
Sterling work, although I'm not sure what's wrong with stating it was the USAF that gave the inhabitants of Aberystwyth a nasty shock the other day. The Yanks have even apologised for it...:\ :ok:

500N
13th Mar 2014, 01:37
I didn't realise the mods tried to keep a "theme" going over a few pages.

pigBoat
"and if the word [email protected]#$k did not exist it would have to be invented to describe it. :eek:"

Agree 100%.
This will go into the teaching books about how not to handle a situation.

superq7
13th Mar 2014, 01:39
papershuffler tell us more please.

papershuffler
13th Mar 2014, 02:10
Some F-15E jets were on exercise around Mid Wales, one of them managed a sonic boom above Aber. Gave the locals a bit of a fright, including some of the tills in a supermarket had to close due to 'ceiling tiles being shaken loose'.

The USAF have owned up and apologised to the town.

Well, I'm giggling even if no one else is. :D

(I posted to confirm it was USAF F-15Es in the Jet Blast thread and the posts never appeared. C'est la vie.)

Worrals in the wilds
13th Mar 2014, 02:18
What they all said.
:ok::ok::ok:
I do hope the lions and tigers post has been saved for posterity. :E:}

500N
13th Mar 2014, 02:23
Worrals

It was a good one, I reckon the best I have ever seen.

500N
13th Mar 2014, 02:23
Paper

I looked it up in the media. Certainly seemed to rattle a few things :O

The sound of freedom ? !

papershuffler
13th Mar 2014, 03:03
...followed by the sound of a town collectively sh*tting itself?

Then all erroneously tweeting RAF Valley to complain.:uhoh:

500N
13th Mar 2014, 03:18
paper

Wussses !!!

One sonic boom ?

TWT
13th Mar 2014, 04:15
Perhaps,at a suitable time in the future,some of the more memorable posts could be listed here (with names redacted),if they are archived.Somehow though,I think the mods may be too busy to archive them.Well done mods :ok:

Pinky the pilot
13th Mar 2014, 05:49
I do have admit messing up the keyboard though when I read this question: could a cargo of lions and tigers have escaped and reached the flight deck?

School holidays over there right now, Rob?:}

rgbrock1
13th Mar 2014, 14:17
Why all these accolades for the Mods who are just doing their very handsomely paid jobs? (We know the Mods earn 6-figure salaries with a hefty pension awaiting them upon retirement from the Wonderful World of PPRuNe)

:}:}:}

Lon More
13th Mar 2014, 19:39
Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie,
O, what a panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty
Wi bickering brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee,
Wi' murdering pattle.

rgbrock1
13th Mar 2014, 19:40
Lon More:

WTF was that, some sort of Satanic ritual chant or something? :}

the incivil beast
13th Mar 2014, 19:58
WTF was that, some sort of Satanic ritual chant or something ?
Apparently Robert Burn's fame still has to cross the big pond :rolleyes:

To a Mouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_a_Mouse)

KBPsen
13th Mar 2014, 22:19
kept accusing me of having a tin-foil hatAs I said earlier, there is no way to get involved in that thread and still look sensible.

Those who have had their post(s) removed are the lucky ones.

Lonewolf_50
13th Mar 2014, 22:19
While I got a bit annoyed at a number of my replies (with the intention of being helpful) disappearing, I appreciate what a bear of a job the Mods are faced with.

Mods are doing a fine job. Many thanks. :ok:

Are your raises and bonus packages based on a percentage of current pay scale at PPRuNe? :}:hmm:

EDIT
@KBPsen ... a fair point

Cacophonix
13th Mar 2014, 23:22
Ah hah! John Betjeman and his wonderful Joan Hunter Dunn...

Almost makes you believe that there is an ounce of Romance in the English... ;)

A Subaltern’s Love Song

poem by John Betjeman

Miss J. Hunter Dunn, Miss J. Hunter Dunn,
Furnish’d and burnish’d by Aldershot sun,
What strenuous singles we played after tea,
We in the tournament – you against me!
Love-thirty, love-forty, oh! weakness of joy,
The speed of a swallow, the grace of a boy,
With carefullest carelessness, gaily you won,
I am weak from your loveliness, Joan Hunter Dunn.
Miss Joan Hunter Dunn, Miss Joan Hunter Dunn,
How mad I am, sad I am, glad that you won,
The warm-handled racket is back in its press,
But my shock-headed victor, she loves me no less.
Her father’s euonymus shines as we walk,
And swing past the summer-house, buried in talk,
And cool the verandah that welcomes us in
To the six-o’clock news and a lime-juice and gin.
The scent of the conifers, sound of the bath,
The view from my bedroom of moss-dappled path,
As I struggle with double-end evening tie,
For we dance at the Golf Club, my victor and I.
On the floor of her bedroom lie blazer and shorts,
And the cream-coloured walls are be-trophied with sports,
And westering, questioning settles the sun,
On your low-leaded window, Miss Joan Hunter Dunn.
The Hillman is waiting, the light’s in the hall,
The pictures of Egypt are bright on the wall,
My sweet, I am standing beside the oak stair
And there on the landing’s the light on your hair.
By roads “not adopted”, by woodlanded ways,
She drove to the club in the late summer haze,
Into nine-o’clock Camberley, heavy with bells
And mushroomy, pine-woody, evergreen smells.
Miss Joan Hunter Dunn, Miss Joan Hunter Dunn,
I can hear from the car park the dance has begun,
Oh! Surrey twilight! importunate band!
Oh! strongly adorable tennis-girl’s hand!
Around us are Rovers and Austins afar,
Above us the intimate roof of the car,
And here on my right is the girl of my choice,
With the tilt of her nose and the chime of her voice.
And the scent of her wrap, and the words never said,
And the ominous, ominous dancing ahead.
We sat in the car park till twenty to one
And now I’m engaged to Miss Joan Hunter Dunn.

Do they still have Subalterns?

Caco

Edited to say I guess "they" do! Subalterns being the other ranks who are so infra dig that they eat sandwiches with their hands!

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=cr&ei=FYAhU7n3Kem_ygP83IKwDw#q=officers+eating+sandwiches+in+th eir+hands&tbm=nws

tony draper
14th Mar 2014, 00:05
Good stuff Mr Caco,I have a great fondness for Mr Betjeman's words both writ and spoke.
A kind of Englishman from another time and place that we will never see again, and will be the poorer for it.
A bit like a posh Fred Dibnah
:(

Cacophonix
14th Mar 2014, 00:13
like a posh Fred Dibnah

Mr Draper, that buggah still owes me £20 purloined from me after a couple of beers for a taxi home to his hotel after dinner and a conversation about Garrat engines (as opposed to the aircraft type with an e).

I learned later he had just been paid £2000.00 (in cash) for the after dinner speech. A thrifty and admirable man... ;)

We shall not see his like (or my £20) again.

Caco

Andy_S
14th Mar 2014, 15:04
A couple of years ago, during the BA Cabin Crew dispute, the mods created two separate PPRuNe threads – one in Cabin Crew, open only to those who worked in the industry, and another (in SLF?) available to anyone who cared to participate. The arrangement worked quite well. It’s probably too much to ask, given the sheer number of people who want to post on the MH370 thread, for something similar, but it’s a shame. There is some good stuff on MH370 written by people who very clearly know what they’re talking about, but it’s being drowned out by others whose clear belief that their own poorly informed speculation and endless rhetorical questioning somehow offers valuable insight is simply embarrassing.

I agree – good job by the Moderators, but I wish they’d be even more ruthless.

SLFgeek
14th Mar 2014, 15:27
I so want to respond to this post ...
I wonder what was in the belly? Tonnes and tonnes of gold and diamonds?
with
The secret cargo was all the moderator removed posts from the last 10 years of pprune!
but I'm going to behave and lurk silently :*

Props to the mods for all the effort towards keeping that thread civil, informative and entertaining. :ok:

Jetdriver
14th Mar 2014, 18:25
I see your "lions & Tigers" and raise you the "human Organ harvesters."

The moderation on that thread is almost live on a 24 hour basis at the moment.

vulcanised
14th Mar 2014, 18:32
I haven't even bothered to look in that thread but I have been amused to note that whenever I've logged in during the last few days it is showing a last post never more than three minutes previously.

Mr Optimistic
14th Mar 2014, 19:15
They have an annoying habit of deleting my useless contributions before I have even time to stand back and admire my own handiwork. This is detrimental to my self-esteem. Can't they go out and get proper jobs ?

coldair
7th Apr 2014, 09:32
Just seen this post in the 777 topic;

A post i found on The Guardian

"So they are picking up signals one day to the next, but they are hundreds of kilometers apart. This pretty much confirms to me that a shark has indeed eaten something they are confusing for a black box, and is swimming around with it inside. Ocean currents cannot explain distances as big as that. The key now is to find that shark, find out why it's swimming about like that and see what contraption is carrying the signal. Do the authorities have a record of who has tagged sharks in the last few months? In the meantime, MH370 is parked in a hanger somewhere."

Almost as daft as the Lion & Tiger post ( whoever wrote that )

coldair :)

Quick edit,

Further posts, which will no doubt be soon deleted ;

At 4500 Meter it will be a very FLAT SHARK!
The shark could have stolen the ULB while the wreckage was still on its way to the bottom. Nobody has said the signal is coming from 4500m, that's just the sea depth -- big difference.

And, NO I didn't write those posts !

Worrals in the wilds
7th Apr 2014, 10:02
This pretty much confirms to me that a shark has indeed eaten something they are confusing for a black box, and is swimming around with it inside. Ocean currents cannot explain distances as big as that. The key now is to find that shark, find out why it's swimming about like that and see what contraption is carrying the signal.AWESOME! :eek::eek:
Maybe the shark ate the whole 777, having dived out of the ocean and snatched it out of the sky. :uhoh::} Sharknado II...

The worrying thing is that (assuming they're older than twelve) these people get to vote.

Andy_S
7th Apr 2014, 10:46
The worrying thing is that (assuming they're older than twelve) these people get to vote.

And breed. And (since The Grauniad is apparently their newspaper of choice) probably run the BBC.....

probes
7th Apr 2014, 10:49
Maybe the shark ate the whole 777, having dived out of the ocean and snatched it out of the sky. :uhoh::} Sharknado II...

and as the wings are sticking out laterally - presumably - it explains the speed of movement = swimming, as the aquatic gliding properties are enhanced. :E

tony draper
7th Apr 2014, 11:00
Had he craft soft landed in the water like that one on that river then flooded it could have glided underwater much further that in the air, water being denser,it could have hit bottom thousands of miles away from where it landed.
Bet nobody thought of that.
:rolleyes:

PPRuNe Towers
7th Apr 2014, 11:10
If any of you think that is only the admiral's whimsy above, the question was genuinely asked this morning.

What is the glide ratio of a sinking 777?

Left the shark swallows the pinger post up for 90 minutes to show what we get. Binned it when we reached 10 serious replies. :uhoh:

Rob

tony draper
7th Apr 2014, 11:18
buggah! out of the mouths of fools eh Mr Towers.:uhoh:

TheChitterneFlyer
7th Apr 2014, 11:20
Does anyone actually believe that their posts within the MH370 thread will be taken seriously, or, that anyone will take any notice, or, that it will affect the outcome of whatever the story might be?

I feel sure that the International Media Services source much of their 'tripe' from what has been posted on PPrune.

The world is full of delusional people.

TCF

Worrals in the wilds
7th Apr 2014, 11:25
Left the shark swallows the pinger post up for 90 minutes to show what we get. Binned it when we reached 10 serious replies. :uhoh:AAAARGH.
Maybe PPRuNe could sponsor all concerned for a field trip to investigate the theory. :E
I know a great spot... Scuba gear, chum and subsequent pro-shark PR provided at cost...:}
http://www.divingthegoldcoast.com.au/images/a2943_lg.jpg

500N
7th Apr 2014, 11:57
"What is the glide ratio of a sinking 777?"

Yes, I logged off after seeing that and then two pages of posts vanished
which wasn't surprising !!!

Wholigan
7th Apr 2014, 12:39
Sorry folks. Not letting you get a surreptitious thread on Malaysian aircraft garbage going under the guise of a "Mods" thread.

;)