PDA

View Full Version : Monsters In Your Head

rgbrock1
12th Mar 2014, 19:21
Okay, I figured I'd start with a thread about Monsters Under Your Bed and finish up with Monsters In Your Head. As in, scary books/reads.

I've always found Stephen King's 'It' to be one of the most frightening books, of that genre, I've read.

How about you?

con-pilot
12th Mar 2014, 19:25
I don't have any monsters in my head, the voices in my head just told me so. :E

500N
12th Mar 2014, 19:28
rgb

What are you smoking today ? :O

rgbrock1
12th Mar 2014, 19:33
500N:

Monster Weed! :}

500N
12th Mar 2014, 19:36
Got it, thanks !

We have something here (a weed) that consumes all, it is called Salvinia,
one small leaf in water grows into a small plant on the surface and multiplies until the whole surface is covered / consumed :O

mattpilot
12th Mar 2014, 19:39
You crazy?

[Free iTunes MP3 Download] Eminem - The Monster ft Rihanna - YouTube

tony draper
12th Mar 2014, 20:11
Only Lovecraft ever made me glance around the bedroom and check on the dark corners, Steven King's stories were ok he spun a good readable yarn but I never found em very frightening.
:)

OFSO
12th Mar 2014, 21:35
Don't forget that stain on the bedroom ceiling..you know where the water got in before you had the roof fixed - just a simple old stain, mind you, it does look like a face in profile, well, it does if you kind of scrunch your eyes up a bit. And then, as you look away from it, you catch movement out of the corner of your eye...just for a moment there it looked as if it were straight on, looking at you...naw, couldn't be, look back, it's in profile again. Still, it does look a little like a face seen side on....just one more look, turn the bedside light back on........take the hand from over your eyes...and look...and look...and look......

The SSK
13th Mar 2014, 10:45
When I was a kid, I had a recurrent nightmare. I was staring into a vast black space, and my eyes were scanning it, left to right, up and down, without knowing what I was looking for.

Then, at a given moment, my eyes would fix on a spot in the blackness, and I would ‘zoom in’ on something – but there never was something, just more blackness. That’s when I woke up sweating and trembling.

The worst thing was, when my mother would ask me to describe my dream, I wasn’t able to.

A A Gruntpuddock
13th Mar 2014, 13:16
Scariest thing for me was Quatermass.

Glad to read in another thread recently that I wasn't the only one to watch it from behind the settee!

Also found the pent-up violence in 'Christine' unsettling, even though I was much older.

Got into a few situations on bikes but they were usually over before I could realise I should have been frightened.

rgbrock1
13th Mar 2014, 13:38
OFSO wrote:

Don't forget that stain on the bedroom ceiling..you know where the water got in before you had the roof fixed - just a simple old stain, mind you, it does look like a face in profile, well, it does if you kind of scrunch your eyes up a bit. And then, as you look away from it, you catch movement out of the corner of your eye...just for a moment there it looked as if it were straight on, looking at you...naw, couldn't be, look back, it's in profile again. Still, it does look a little like a face seen side on....just one more look, turn the bedside light back on........take the hand from over your eyes...and look...and look...and look......

Good one that OFSO. Are you sure you're not Stephen King? :}:E

We MUST be told!

Hey OFSO, that stain on the ceiling? I too had something similar. However, when looking at it at a certain angle, I could've sworn it looked like:

http://paxarcana.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/satan.jpg

OFSO
13th Mar 2014, 14:45
Are you sure you're not Stephen King?

No, but I might be Childe Rolande.

Wresting this thread back from the knaves, rapscalions, cynics, japesters and rascals in an attempt to imbue it with a slight hint of the serious in which it was started, I did, once upon a time, as a child see something utterly inexplicable in my bedroom in the first light of day. It was a column of coloured light, blue, green and perhaps yellow, stretching from floor to ceiling, and as C S Lewis describes the gods in "Out of the Silent Planet", it appeared to be vertical in its own terms of reference which were not ours, i.e. it stood vertically but it was the room which appeared to be slightly off-skew. I mentioned this apparition to my father but he didn't take me seriously. So much so that I have never mentioned this to anyone since then, and especially not in writing, nor to a college of my peers such as PPRuNe has become. Interestingly, I wasn't frightened of whatever it was but looked at it with a sense of wonder. Trying to explain it rationally today, I cannot. It was like nothing I have seen depicted anywere - except as I have said in the books of C S Lewis - which I read about 30 years later.