PDA

View Full Version : Monsters Under Your Bed

rgbrock1
12th Mar 2014, 14:58
In another thread i was kidding around and made mention of monsters under your bed. Which got me thinking. (For once.)

As a child, or youngster, what was the most frightened you've ever been when lying in your bed at night? Did you think something was under the bed? In the closet? Ghosts and goblins? Did you hear something or see something you thought frightening at the time.

As a yoof, I was often scared of unknown things under my bed. I always checked underneath before going to sleep but I was never sure if I checked thoroughly enough. And then, one night.......

http://images.quickblogcast.com/3/5/4/6/2/135298-126453/amonsterunderthebed.jpg

The SSK
12th Mar 2014, 15:05
Now that is scary - your picture just changed - or did I imagine it? :eek:

Just a cat under my bed these days, a 3-legged one at that. She gives the local mouse population nightmares though - the ones that are still alive when it comes to their bedtime

OFSO
12th Mar 2014, 15:08
What I find MOST disturbing about your post, rg., is the idea that the monsters-under-the-bed may be a fragment of the imagination. This is a very dangerous concept to start spreading around, and should be stopped.

OFSO when young child to mother at bedtime:

OFSO: Is it true that we go to dust when we die ?
Mother: yes
OFSO: And is it true that before we are born we are dust ?
Mother: well, sort of.
OFSO: Well, mum, there's someone coming or going under my bed.....

rgbrock1
12th Mar 2014, 15:13
The SSK:

Nope, same pictures as originally posted. :eek:

OFSO: So things were living and dying under your bed as a kid? Horrendous!

meadowrun
12th Mar 2014, 15:13
http://cdn29.elitedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/monster-spray-elite-daily.jpg

MagnusP
12th Mar 2014, 15:15
The wardrobe at the side of my bed had book-matched walnut doors, and the pattern in the wood made it look like a VERY BIG scary owl. :eek:

The SSK
12th Mar 2014, 15:20
Nope, same pictures as originally posted.

Is this how you spell gibbering wreck?

500N
12th Mar 2014, 15:22
RGB

Sorry, I am with SSK, you picture did change or it didn't load properly and
skewed it to make it look different (although I don't think so).

The first picture was a boy leaning over the edge of the bed at something scary on the floor :rolleyes:

OFSO
12th Mar 2014, 15:26
OFSO: So things were living and dying under your bed as a kid? Horrendous!

If you want me to be serious, I will. There was always a loud ticking in my bedroom as a child as I fell asleep. No, we didn't have death watch beetle, nor was there a clock in the room or anywhere near. It used to scare me to death.

Later in life I read "The Exorcist" and all became clear. Well, clear-er.

rgbrock1
12th Mar 2014, 15:31
I hear ya OFSO!

For years, due to both my sisters' inherent evilness (at the time), they had me convinced that my deceased grandfather was busy eating his way out of his grave (dirt, rocks, worms and all) and would eventually show up again either underneath my bed or in the closet. And he would not be too happy with me. (For what I had no idea. I didn't do anything wrong, for f*** sake.)
Parts of his head would be worm-eaten and his eyes would be oozing black stuff. And he'd be coming for me. :eek::eek::eek:

500N:

The picture did NOT change. The picture you see is the same one as the original one I posted. Perhaps you have monsters in your head!

tony draper
12th Mar 2014, 15:35
I started young I had a Webley Junior under me pillow,but now I am a man I have put away childish things,it's now a 1911 ACP. :rolleyes:

Octopussy2
12th Mar 2014, 15:45
I was always scared there was something behind the bedroom door (which had to be ajar because then I could see the light on the landing - I can't sleep in pitch darkness). Even when I'd taken my dressing gown down from its hook (which of course looked like someone was standing there),and pushed the door back as far as it would go, I was still convinced there could be a malevolent presence lurking behind it.

Many years later, I was absolutely charmed by Terry Pratchett's Bogeyman, who of course HAS to stand behind a door/wardrobe etc because otherwise HE is scared.

If those books had been around when I was a kid, I think they would have saved me a lot of angst - it's hard to be scared of something that you believe is actually scared of you (cobras, big spiders excepted, obviously...)

500N
12th Mar 2014, 15:50
Octo

It was the bogeyman for me as well, plus Ghosts.

Didn't like the door totally closed either, preferred a shaft of light.

rgbrock1
12th Mar 2014, 15:51
Octopussy2:

Are you saying you are scared of spiders? (Sort of like our friend Tony D. here)

So if one of the below was running after you at 10mph do you think you might be Even More Scared?! :eek::}

http://xo.typepad.com/blog/camelspidersmall.JPG

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=sNzjD24Qsq-ObM&tbnid=aIJ9pZ-302pY-M:&ved=0CAYQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fxo.typepad.com%2Fblog%2F2004%2F04%2Fcamel_s piders.html&ei=Y3QgU_WqJMbLkAfH1YD4Ag&bvm=bv.62788935,d.eW0&psig=AFQjCNE1SyWEVFDdbEalEEu6Lz56jyMlgg&ust=1394722261085796

SpringHeeledJack
12th Mar 2014, 17:03
One's father was kept in order come bedtime by his older brother with the threat of the (outside) toilet coming up the stairs to get him, garnished with mysterious knocking noises to simulate the hopping of said toilet up the stairs.

When about 9 or 10 I was very scared of devils and ghosts come bedtime and could've sworn that one time the end of one's bed lifted up in the air by a few inches :uhoh: Was always happy when the dawn came….

SHJ

Octopussy2
12th Mar 2014, 17:08
You will incur the wrath of Draper for that one, RG

Be afraid...

dazdaz1
12th Mar 2014, 17:18
I'm scared in bed thinking the aliens might probe me. At times I've felt this sensation, end of story, my g/f was a bit kinky.

The SSK
12th Mar 2014, 17:30
I can't visit this thread without going to the original post to see if the oicture's changed again ...

rgbrock1
12th Mar 2014, 17:57
The SSK:

The picture was NOT changed. If I had changed it then my post would have shown as being edited, no? :ok:

West Coast
12th Mar 2014, 18:08
I preemptively pump about a dozen rounds from the .45 into the bed before I retire for the evening.

papershuffler
12th Mar 2014, 18:13
I have sleep paralysis quite often. That usually leaves me feeling shaken for a while afterwards, especially if the 'Old Hag' sensations occur as part of it (someone sitting on you, or feeling you).:sad:

maxred
12th Mar 2014, 18:19
rgbrock1, WTF is that spider thing:mad:

Oh, and the opening picture changed again, there is a small boy hanging over the bed:eek:

RJM
12th Mar 2014, 18:27
I've looked at that picture several times :rolleyes: and there have been only goblins...

My grandfather gave me a WWI bayonet which I used to keep under my pillow - after checking under the bed. I still have the bayonet, but no longer keep it under the pillow.

The old gent, who was in the Aust Light Horse, told me that they carried a spare bandolier of .303 clips on one side of the horse's neck and on the other side, to balance the weight of the ammo, three or four spare horseshoes. I've always been grateful for that information and have never forgotten it.

tony draper
12th Mar 2014, 18:28
When we were ragged trousered urchins about the streets and back lanes of Gateshead we would be subject to dares or Duffies as they were known hereabouts, ie dangerous exploits to undertake to prove your fearlessness and fitness to rule the gang.
The worst of these was the St Chads crypt creep,down a rotting flight of ancient steps that only Lovecraft could have described,push open the iron barred oaken door and alone with only the stub of a candle to lighten the stygian blackness walk the entire length of the underground crypt to the equally ancient oaken door at the other end, walk mind you no running.
Those few of us that did this feared very little for the rest of our lives,ere except spiders of course.
:uhoh:

rgbrock1
12th Mar 2014, 18:41
maxred:

WTF is that spider-looking thing? It's called a Camel spider. And it exists, so to speak, in the Sandbox aka, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. It's also an aberration of sorts because it's capable of speeds greater than a man running. Which it uses to hunt your ass down right before it takes a chomp out of you. A rather nasty and painful chomp at that. PS: look at the picture again. The boy is gone. The goblins climbing up on his bed did away with him.

rgbrock1
12th Mar 2014, 18:44
WC wrote:

I preemptively pump about a dozen rounds from the .45 into the bed before I retire for the evening.My kinda guy! I tried that. Once. But the Mrs., after asking "WTF did you go and do that?", didn't find it too amusing. Old hag.

er340790
12th Mar 2014, 18:44
Some nights out at the cabin, it can get a bit unnerving when the wolves are all howling... and in the morning you find bear-crap 10' from the door.

I eventually invested in a Mossberg 500.

Best night's sleep ever. Honest! :ok:

rgbrock1
12th Mar 2014, 18:48
er:

I've found encircling ones natural abode i.e., cabin, with a ring of Claymore mine helps in keeping said bears and wolves at bay. :}:E:ok:

OFSO
12th Mar 2014, 18:52
'Thing about the heading picture is that the goblin on the floor is being dragged back under the bed by something even more frightening. I mean, look at his face ! And the one climbing the post is trying to escape. Scary, or what ?

rgbrock1
12th Mar 2014, 18:55
OFSO:

Frightening indeed! Monsters under your bed being chased out by other monsters under your bed. How much more f***ed up can it get than that? :eek::eek:

(And if you look at the creepy thing rappelling up the bed post, to the right, he almost seems to be saying to the one being pulled back under: "Screw you, you're on your own now. I'm outta here.")

Cyber Bob
12th Mar 2014, 19:09
Wardrobe Monsters

Peter Kay John Smiths Advert - Monster - DipsticksTV - YouTube

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Mar 2014, 20:48
Maxred

The beastie is also known as a solifuge or a Red Roman in southern Africa. The pic posted by RGB shows a photoshopped specimen as they rarely grow more than five or six inches long. Still have pretty powerful jaws though, although not venomous. They're attracted to movement so if you stand still they'll generally run right past you, although they can be a bit frightening as they run with the two front legs raised up in what might be mistaken for an attack attitude.

It was always a good laugh watching the catastrophe tourists melting down when confronted with one. They'd take off yodeling like a banshee and the solifuge would run after the movement. Hilarious outdoors, but if you saw one doing that indoors with nowhere to go, it became pant wettingly funny. The person would run in circles with the solifuge right behind them and closing the gap rapidly, as they're pretty fast. Hard to help someone when you're incapacitated by laughter.

Capetonian
12th Mar 2014, 21:07
In Southern Africa a lot of the native people believe in the Tokoloshe, a mythical devilish creature. In order to prevent it from getting into their beds, they sleep with their mattress up on bricks.

Um... lifting...
12th Mar 2014, 21:24
Monsters in these parts enjoy working with tools, so I have monsters in me shed.

vulcanised
12th Mar 2014, 21:48
Doesn't the pink tutu hanging on the bedpost scare off the monsters?

Or do they try it on?

owen meaney
12th Mar 2014, 23:57
Perhaps you could get the monsters under the bed to meet the voices in your head.

500N
13th Mar 2014, 00:08
Vulcan

"Doesn't the pink tutu hanging on the bedpost scare off the monsters?"

:D:D:D

Think how low the Rangers drooped for RGB to become one !
God, almost as bad as the Marines :O

pigboat
13th Mar 2014, 00:11
When I was a boy my old man would get rid of all the monsters by sawing the legs off the bed.

SawMan
13th Mar 2014, 01:19
When I was a wee tyke, I kept the monsters under the bed at bay by farting- nothing could get near me then :p That didn't set too well with the bigger brother I had to share the room with :ouch: Seemed back then that he was the real monster more often than not!

Nervous SLF
13th Mar 2014, 05:34
When I was a kid I watched "Quatermass and the pit" on TV. For a while I was sure that one of those creatures was under my
bed or going to come out of the wardrobe. I still remember being scared stupid when that bloke screamed "It came through the wall !!!" :)

Wingswinger
13th Mar 2014, 06:27
Agree about "Quatermass"!

When I was a nipper we lived in Sri Lanka (Ceylon in those days) for a couple of years. Before getting out of bed in the morning we had to check under the bed for scorpions. The drill was: Open mosquito net, lean over side of bed to look under, lift shoes turn them over and bang them on the floor. If no scorpions, get out of bed, put on shoes and toddle off for breakfast.

There sometimes was a scorpion or two, especially in the monsoon. They were big and black. It took me years to get out of the habit of checking under the bed after we returned to Blighty.

OFSO
13th Mar 2014, 10:49
Also agree about Quatermass. I watched it again recently (the complete TV series is on YouTube). It was as frightening as I remembered it to be. Nigel Kneale was a genius.

Comment: WHY should monsters UNDER the bed be frightening to an adult ? I'm sure we can all recall some monsters IN the bed which we didn't know were there until day dawned the next morning. Frankly if they'd been under the bed (and stayed there) I'd have been a lot happier.

rgbrock1
13th Mar 2014, 13:46
OFSO:

Those monsters IN the bed you were referring to? You DO know how they got there, right?

It's better known as the Budweiser Goggle Syndrome. They look mighty fine after about a 12-pack of Budweiser with the bottle turned reverse as you ponder the young beauty through the looking glass. (So to speak.)

However, once the goggles have cleared a bit it also becomes clear that the beauty in the bed has become a beast in the bed. A big, fat, hairy, farting beast with her mouth open exhaling volumes of stink breath.

"Uh, ma'am? It's time to go. And I have no idea who you are or how you got here. Now, please. Just get the f**k out."

:ok:

Oh, and as far as any pink tutu hanging from the bed post is concerned: nope, doesn't work. What does work better, however, is to hang one's dirty and smelly (shit-encrusted) under-drawers from the bed post at night. Not only do the monsters tend to shy away upon encountering said shitty underwear, so do many other non-monster type. (Hey, it's a lot more valid than "Dear, not tonight as I have a headache.")

603DX
13th Mar 2014, 19:07
For parents of youngsters genuinely fearful of under-bed monsters, reading this book together with the little ones could maybe help to reassure them. Kind of turns the usual storyline on its head ... ;)

The Monster Bed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monster_Bed)

tony draper
13th Mar 2014, 19:28
One of the best Ghost Stories ever dramatized on TV was the original 'Whistle and I'll come to you',the recent remake was distinctly lacking in spookiness when compared.
No rubber monsters or CGI the implied horror the briefest of glimpses of some lurking insanity is much more frightening.:uhoh:
It can also be watched on youtube.

rgbrock1
13th Mar 2014, 19:30
Never heard of it Tony D. Is the youtube video of the original or the cgi-inspired one?

Just found the original on youtube, Tony D. With some added, but supposedly effective, music score. I'll watch later as it seems interesting. Thanks!

tony draper
13th Mar 2014, 19:33
It's on youtube in full, Mr Rock,this version says it has added music track I dunno what difference that makes,starts slow but bare with it.:uhoh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M38u1Ox2vxY

Sir George Cayley
13th Mar 2014, 21:31
I used to lay in bed looking at the ceiling. I could see small red lights in pairs looking down at me. They looked like eyes and they scared me witless. My only reaction was to curl up under the bed clothes and hide terrified until I fell asleep. This went on for years.

Ticking as I went to sleep. I used to hear a ticking sound but also see a row of bicycle chains (before I knew what they were) being set down one link at at time for each tick. They were a steel colour and the background was a wine red corduroy which ran at 90 deg to the diagonal direction of the chain links.

I was as fascinated as I was scared and, despite 50+ years, still recall the image in my mind.

SGC

OFSO
13th Mar 2014, 21:40
Ticking as I went to sleep

Ticking or rhythmic tapping has been used in many scifi/horror films and books. It seems to be a means of communication.

Blues&twos
13th Mar 2014, 23:14
Agree with Mr. Draper....the Victorians were masters of the truly frightening horror stories. The subtle, implied scary stuff, which messes with your head can't be touched by the rather crass CGI today.

There was a non-specific monster living in the cupboard under the stairs when I was growing up. He was called Boogaloo, according to my dad. When they moved house, rather uncharitably in my view my parents didn't mention Boogaloo to the new owners.