PDA

View Full Version : Bloody NANNY state

Thomas coupling
12th Mar 2014, 10:47
Where will this all end:

Today on the morning news I heard that the government are thinking of compensating children whose mothers drank alcohol during pregnancy???

Then a nurse colleague tells me she has to fill the following forms in:

1. A form that confirms that if one is depressed by where they live (council houses) they can claim benefit to compensate for that.

2. An allowance if one has Excema (from the water supplier).

Almost as bad as the military officer who fell off the top of a human pyramid whilst drunk and sued the MoD for a million and won :mad:

Where/when will it end?

Left Coaster
12th Mar 2014, 11:08
Maybe if you knew a little (or anything) about Foetal Alcohol Syndrome you might understand...

Andy_S
12th Mar 2014, 13:16
I think the point being made is that why should WE (because it's our money the government will dish out) be compensating other peoples children for other peoples failures?

awblain
12th Mar 2014, 13:57
If anyone's liable, surely it's the drink company and supplier. Has there ever been a state sponsored recommended dose of alcohol during pregnancy? If it turns out the folic acid causes kids to look and act like low-achieving land dolphins, then the compensation might have a point.

500N
12th Mar 2014, 14:00
"it's the drink company and supplier."

On what basis ?

What about the lady taking responsibility for her decisions and actions ?

Although the above post by AWBlain is exactly what I would expect from him.

Rwy in Sight
12th Mar 2014, 14:45
A lot of pregnacies would not take place if ladies were not either drunk or were taking responsibilty (sp) instead.

I will get my coat.

Rwy in Sight

Wyler
12th Mar 2014, 14:46
Exactly - SHE takes responsibility - NOT the rest of us. :mad:

rgbrock1
12th Mar 2014, 14:58
500N wrote:

What about the lady taking responsibility for her decisions and actions ?

personal responsibility? What are you f***ing nuts? That's so last century man. No need for that anymore. When in doubt either blame someone else, sue their balls off or blame your parents for inflicting grievous, and irreparable, mental anguish upon you. Then sue them too.

IT'S ALL SOCIETY'S FAULT.

500N
12th Mar 2014, 15:03
RGB

I don't live in California mate ! :O

2 sheds
12th Mar 2014, 15:48
Maybe if you knew a little (or anything) about Foetal Alcohol Syndrome you might understand...
Or Maternal Extreme Stupidity Syndrome, as it might be better known.

2 s

SawMan
12th Mar 2014, 16:27
500N wrote:
IT'S ALL SOCIETY'S FAULT.

Absolutely correct, society screwed up everything in my life, therefore all of society owes me everything they have. Each of you in society can begin the healing process by sending me all your money- I'll instruct you on how to get the rest to me later :p

Seriously, while someone else can have a bad influence on you, after adulthood you have the option to follow any course you choose, and you alone are responsible for whatever that brings you. Alcohol is a very evil problem with me and I'd love to be made rich for all the years I lost when I was drinking, but I put the glass/bottle/goblet to my lips and turned it up all by myself, so if there is any fault because of that it is mine alone. I ask no compensation for that, I'm just happy that the problem has now been solved for me :cool:

(But I'll still take any money offered in compensation- who wouldn't?) :E

Thomas coupling
12th Mar 2014, 19:47
Then there are the two female army recruits who made a small fortune suing the MoD because the strides they were taking were too large causing pelvic damage????FFS.

Or that stupid bit*h who spilled hot coffee over herself in an American McD even though the lid was on and it said "HOT" and made another god damn fortune out of everyone else.

Or the cop who sued his constabulary for bullying, stating the lads at work kept jibing him about his attempt to stop an OAP in a range rover by pistol whipping the car - and got zillions of our money.

Foetal alcohol syndrome. Have you been drinking sunshine? Foetal Fourex syndrome more likely (FFS). Kiss my shorts!:ugh::ugh:

ExSp33db1rd
12th Mar 2014, 21:41

I do understand - self inflicted injury, does anyone MAKE the stupid b****h drink ?

Mr Chips
12th Mar 2014, 22:13
Or that stupid bit*h who spilled hot coffee over herself in an American McD even though the lid was on and it said "HOT" and made another god damn fortune out of everyone else.
Except there is way more to that story that you have clearly not bothered to read/research

Or the cop who sued his constabulary for bullying, stating the lads at work kept jibing him about his attempt to stop an OAP in a range rover by pistol whipping the car - and got zillions of our money.
Pistol whipped? Really? You sure?

awblain
12th Mar 2014, 22:17
The coffee was unreasonably hot, far too hot to drink, and the coffee wallah gave it to her without anywhere to put it. However, going to the Scottish Restaurant was contributory negligence on the part of the now wealthy scalded person.

The now wealthy PC Odd used a baton to break the car owning geezer's window.

500N
12th Mar 2014, 23:05
AW
The now wealthy PC Odd used a baton to break the car owning geezer's window.

You mean the cop didn't whip out his 9mm and pump the car wheels full of holes and then add a few into the old geezer himself ????????
Gun crime is going down, are you going to ban batons now ?

I'm blaming society for all the crap I have endured and the Army for all the bastardisation I received !!!!

BenThere
12th Mar 2014, 23:32
I'm blaming society for all the crap I have endured and the Army for all the bastardisation I received !!!!

I think I know you better than that, 500N. You're just like me.

We don't want anything from anybody that we didn't earn or that doesn't rightfully belong to us. We don't ask for handouts. Our honor rests on making our own way in the world, providing for those who depend on us, and not taking from anyone else.

Further, we will defend what we have and those we love from being taken from us.

We're on the same page, aren't we?

500N
12th Mar 2014, 23:45
Ben There

We're on the same page, aren't we?

Yes, very much so :ok: I was joking, see note below.

A 6ft 4" Sgt standing 6 inches from your face telling you you fcuked up the drill movement never did me any harm. Now they speak nicely to you :p :O

Which is why I often tell soft ccoks to HTFU because half of them expect everything handed to them on a plate.

(Problem with the new "edit" feature is it doesn't easily give access to the smileys so I used !!!! instead but I don't think it gets the meaning across !
Have to go "advanced edit" next time).

parabellum
12th Mar 2014, 23:54

Don't think any fortune was made here, the original court had a jury, (the public), who decided the $7million damages, the case then went to appeal, now you only have judges who often see things differently to a jury. I believe the final pay out was nearer $70,000, much of which went on legal fees.

The media are only too happy to tell us about the original damages award that a USA jury came up with, particularly if it is a huge and out of proportion award, but the media then get bored and don't follow through the appeal stages in the same front page way, so a couple of years later you may see a small paragraph that tells you the final pay-out.

Left Coaster
13th Mar 2014, 05:22
Stupid Bit*h(s)??? Seems a little misogyny still lives out there with you "men"! Alcoholism now recognized as an illness, and you boys who blame the "bitch" have no idea do you? No credibility…go back to your caves...

alisoncc
13th Mar 2014, 06:48
Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Just filed a class action against Germany for the deprivation I suffered as a child when my Father returned from Germany post WWII with chronic bronchitis, emphysema, etc. He could only work six months of the year, that's all so times were tough. Hopefully there's no Statute of Limitations with regard to time.

And meeting with legal advisers tomorrow to discuss the hardships endured during air force service duing the Cold War. Probably sue Putin and his mates.

And there are strong indications I was autistic as a child, so filing an action against Nottingham Council Education Department for their failure to treat me accordingly. The fact that no one knew about Autism then is wholly irrelevant.

As for the Australian Govt, have they got some reckoning to pay for. Imagine them persuading me to emigrate here with their flashy posters in 1970, and then me finding it was nothing like what they said. Then I had to pay the buggers back so I could leave.

And that lots just for starters. Gonna be rich, gonna be rich. :p

Krystal n chips
13th Mar 2014, 06:55
" We're on the same page, aren't we?

Yes, very much so I was joking.

Very true I have to say, indeed, the term "This page intentionally left blank" springs to mind.....or, possibly, one of the most severe cases of collective writers block ever recorded.

bosnich71
13th Mar 2014, 08:47
Alisoncc .... your entry has got me thinking.
My Mother took me into these dark damp places when I was a child,I think they were called air raid shelters. Then there was being evacuated to Scotland,even now the mere smell of porridge brings flashbacks...and all because of those German chappies.
Despite this terrible start to my life I allowed myself to be led astray by RAF recruiting posters and found myself in Germany defending those responsible for my earlier trials and tribulations.Three frightful years of waiting for the Ivans to come over the fence ensued. I now can't watch Chelski play with out having a panic attack.

Left coaster ..... Cave ? If only, luxury.

500N
13th Mar 2014, 10:51
"Alcoholism now recognized as an illness, and you boys who blame the "bitch" have no idea do you? No credibility…go back to your caves..."

Illness, disease, call it what you like, it still doesn't remove the lady from taking responsibility for her actions. She is the one who picked up the alcohol and drank it. I didn't hear anyone saying it was poured down her throat.

Thomas coupling
13th Mar 2014, 11:36
Left Coaster - let's be honest here, most claims are women driven are they not:

Coffee spillage.
Falling off a human pyramid in the officers mess.
Marching under duress because their legs don't stretch far enough.
Claiming for excema.
All these people suing their companies for harrassment at work and not being paid as much as men.

The majority (not all, but 90%) are women. I suspect it's because most women think they are hard done by - by men!
They are simply not up to the cut and thrust that life offers. Simples.
Best they stay at home if you ask me.

I just love your support of foetal alcohol syndrome. Mmmm love the idea that the mother is not to blame for being addicted to alcohol intake whilst drunk...Mmmmm. Poor love. She can't cope. Not surprising really with her hormones all over the place. :E

Oooh, look what's just flown in:

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/535789-women-sues-over-seagull-swoop.html

rgbrock1
13th Mar 2014, 18:56
Lone Ranger wrote:

What?, like the plastic dick company is liable if you ram half a dozen of em up yer silly arse and end up in hospital?

But what if it's not plastic dicks but gerbils? Who's to blame then? (Can't sue the Gerbil factory really!)

500N
13th Mar 2014, 20:07
I do wonder who Awblain thinks is liable for him being ......himself .....and how much compensation he expects (should be lot, shirley):8

Very good Lone Ranger :D

AW Blain asked on the MH370 thread how to get in the cockpit if the pilots were incapacitated :rolleyes:

rgbrock1
13th Mar 2014, 20:13
500N wrote:

AW Blain asked on the MH370 thread how to get in the cockpit if the pilots were incapacitated

He asked that? What a stupid question that is. Answer is kind of obvious isn't it? You huff and you puff and you blow the door down. Entrance granted. :ok:

OneOffDave
13th Mar 2014, 20:15
The compensation goes to the child who has been permanently disabled by the actions of the mother. In all the cases that I've seen that would qualify, the child is in care as the mother is unfit. The reason the compensation is paid for out of the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme is that in most cases the mother has got bugger all in the way of assets.

The allowance relating to excema is due to the massively increased amounts of clothes washing that some people with the condition have to do due to having to slather large amounts of greasy creams on their skin every day. It's not a claim against the water company for developing the condition.

500N
13th Mar 2014, 20:19
Yes AW Blain asked it.

I thought his post had been deleted but it hasn't. he is that bright he thinks he has found a flaw in the system !!!

AW Blain
ploughman,

How would the cabin crew get into the flight deck to bring the oxygen if the occupants were unconscious as their oxygen was out. Is there no backup oxygen carried in the cockpit in case a crew mask fails?

Surely the whole point of new locked doors is that you're not able to break in, and so someone would have to admit the cabin crew with their bottle.

A flaw in this back up plan?

alisoncc
13th Mar 2014, 21:07
let's be honest here, most claims are women driven are they not:No. Most claims are driven by money-grubbing male lawyers who choose to haunt hospital waiting rooms looking for an easy mark.

Typical scenario: Woman presents at Emergency badly scalded by hot coffee. Opportunistic lawyer suggests she should sue the coffee supplier, with potential significant damages. Women thinks "why not". Now all of a sudden the women gets to be the baddy and receives nothing. Lawyer is awarded exorbitant costs, laughs all the way to the bank.

Mr Chips
13th Mar 2014, 21:32
Just to save my blood pressure, and thus me having to sue you all, can you please either:
Stop referencing the coffee incident
or
Actually bother to research it

I thank you

Thomas coupling
13th Mar 2014, 22:23
Try this sunshine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants

Smell the coffee

SARF
14th Mar 2014, 08:36
Surely the car manufacturer Toyota should be coughing up as well. And of course she should sue 'bigsugar' for her addiction...
As for those cotton sweatpants, they are bound to have come from walmart etc blah ?.

As for nanny state i saw a school group on the beach yesterday all in hi vis jackets.. Ludicrous.

Octopussy2
14th Mar 2014, 09:52
In 15 years of ppruning, this is the first time I've seen someone's posts on another, totally unrelated, thread held up for ridicule.

awblain you clearly have some people around here running scared :D Keep up the good work.

(Although, as a woman AND a lawyer, I'm surprised I even dare contribute to this thread).

Krystal n chips
14th Mar 2014, 10:05
" (Although, as a woman AND a lawyer, I'm surprised I even dare contribute to this thread)."

You've probably been granted a dispensation.....now, had you been French of course....:D

bosnich71
14th Mar 2014, 10:55
Octopussy .. chill out,it's all a bit tongue in cheek so don't take any of it seriously.

500N
14th Mar 2014, 11:23
Octopussy .. chill out,it's all a bit tongue in cheek so don't tske any of it seriously.
+1

Exactly.

Octopussy2
14th Mar 2014, 12:16
Don't worry, chaps, I know.

LegallyBlonde
14th Mar 2014, 12:17
What bosnich said -

+2:cool:

vee-tail-1
14th Mar 2014, 15:04
Someone take an oxygen bottle to AW Blain ... among the 'interesting' posts on R & N his is outstanding! :cool:

MagnusP
14th Mar 2014, 15:18
Give AWB oxygen, or just apply the canister with extreme prejudice? :p

rgbrock1
14th Mar 2014, 15:31
But I always thought the use of oxygen presupposed someone having a beating heart and functioning brain? :}

500N
14th Mar 2014, 19:08
Someone take an oxygen bottle to AW Blain ... among the 'interesting' posts on R & N his is outstanding! :cool:

The other reason for quoting it hear was to ensure it didn't disappear into the void by being deleted like some of the other superb posts, especially the "lions and elephants entering the cockpit" :rolleyes:

:O

rgbrock1
14th Mar 2014, 19:29
500N wrote:

the "lions and elephants entering the cockpit"

Just lions and elephants? That's rather racist. What about the tigers?
Oh, and the bears? Oh my. :}

500N
14th Mar 2014, 19:30
Oh, my apologies :rolleyes:

I was laughing so hard when I read it I forgot !

Mr Chips
14th Mar 2014, 20:09
Thomas Coupling well done for finding Wikipedia Sunshine

The key to that whole issue was the fact that McDonalds knew there was an issue with serving coffee at that temperature:

Other documents obtained from McDonald's showed that from 1982 to 1992 the company had received more than 700 reports of people burned by McDonald's coffee to varying degrees of severity, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000

awblain
14th Mar 2014, 23:33
I guess it is very flattering having stalkers,
even if they do seem to be armed and dangerous.

500N
14th Mar 2014, 23:39
Stalk you ????? Don't put tabs on yourself.

No one stalks you, we don't need to, just follow the crash and burns from your posts as the trail is many and wide :O,
starting in the rotary forum.

It's daily humour for everyone :p

awblain
14th Mar 2014, 23:46
It's fun to see all your little hamster wheels spinning each other up.

Although getting some context and reality into your straw bedding is a lost cause.

LegallyBlonde
15th Mar 2014, 01:44
For everyone's entertainment - this has to trump Liebeck v McDonalds.
The full article is enlightening ;)

High Court rules out compensation for public servant injured during work trip sex - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-30/sex-compensation-high-court/5057348)

A public servant who was injured while having sex in a motel room during a work trip is not eligible for compensation, the High Court has ruled.
The Federal Government employee, who cannot be named, was injured in 2007 when a light fitting was dislodged and fell on her as she was having sex with a man.
The incident took place in a motel room in a country town in New South Wales, where the woman, aged in her 30s, and another employee had travelled for work.
Her employer had booked her into the motel room.
The woman said the light hit her in the face, injuring her nose, mouth and a tooth and also causing a psychiatric adjustment disorder.
Federal Employment Minister Senator Eric Abetz hailed the High Court ruling in the "infamous sex case" as a victory for common sense.
"This decision protects the currency of work place safety which was in serious danger of being trivialised by this claim," Senator Abetz said.
"This decision also means that the definition of 'work-related injury' is more clearly defined.
"It's important in Australian workplaces that we have a form of 'mutual obligation' where employees and employers both work together and are prepared to accept personal responsibility.
In a statement, the man involved in the act said: "I do not know if we bumped the light or it just fell off."
"I think she was on her back when it happened but I was not paying attention because we were rolling around," he said.

bosnich71
15th Mar 2014, 04:01
I think everyone ... well nearly everyone ... is being a bit hard on Awblain. I've been re-reading his posts on this thread and I reckon he's only as silly as the rest of us.
Hopefully this post will not lead to me having the mickey taken.

bosnich71
15th Mar 2014, 04:15
Awblain ,mate, you are not alone.....

on today's Friday jokes thread referring to the MH 370 thread.

Question ...
"Is it possible to disable the passenger oxygen system from the flight deck and then de-pressurize the plane"?

Next post ...
"No,but it's on my Santa list".

P.s. I've just had a horrible thought....... it wasn't you,Awblain, asking the question was it?

bosnich71
15th Mar 2014, 08:17
The latest from La.La land.
A 53 year old female PCSO who injured her knee ... soft tissue damage .. while investigating a burglary has sued for damages.
The court has awarded damages of 4,000 pounds to the PCSO and 57,589 pounds in legal fees to her lawyers.
A couple of points.
1. She is getting on a bit and is no longer fit for purpose,i.e.catching baddies, and should retire and look after her Grandchildren.
2. All Lawyers should be hung from the nearest lamp post.

I note that one of the more infamous " ambulance chasing" legal companies in Australia .... Slater and Gordon,who by the way are under investigation by Australian police ref. a major fraud that they were involved with ..... has recently opened a branch in Britain. Obviously the S******s who own that particular company have realised that U.K. is place to be if they want to make even more dosh from spurious insurance claims that all of us who have insurance ultimately have to pay for.

P.s. Hanging all Lawyers from the nearest lamp post may be a bit radical so let's just keep Octopussy in case any of us need legal advice in the future