PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep a diary?

Cacophonix
11th Mar 2014, 17:37
I have never kept a diary or a dairy (as I once misread an injunction to write an essay as a child and scored 0 marks for my efforts).

I have never have kept one simply because I am too lazy and also arrogantly thought my life too meagre to be of interest to myself or to anybody unlucky enough to come across my scribbling after I have meandered off into the big sleep.

The closest I have come to such a thing is to keep a flying log-book (as required by aviation law) and have been threatening to digitize the contents of this over the years but once again have simply been too bone idle to do this.

Now, Europe in the form of EASA have kind of my forced my hand in that I am applying to replace my UK National licence with some confounded European thing and have buckled down to typing up all the entries in my log into an electronic DB linked to scans of the original and despite the tediousness of this exercise I am gripped by nostalgia.

Herein are moments of great pleasure like my first solo. My first flight with my son, my last flight with my ex wife. Herein are names of instructors and pilots that were and probably still are better men than me. Sadly there are names of folks that are no longer here and suddenly I realise that logs and diaries are not about ourselves but about other people and I am suddenly very sorry that I haven't kept a diary.

Do you keep a diary or a dairy and if so what kind of yield was your farm producing in 1960?

Are diaries a sign of self regard or are they something like the old cine films of old that give us all a perspective in the anomalous and brief adventure they call life?

Caco

500N
11th Mar 2014, 17:47
No, never kept one.

I do however have a record by photos of the last 12 years or so of trips made. I recently sorted through all the photos and getting some of the digital one's printed out, makes interesting viewing looking back.

I just wish I had taken more photos in the past 35 years.

Capetonian
11th Mar 2014, 18:01
I keep a diary for future events and planning. I used to write travelogues whenever I travelled somewhere unusual or have an unusual experience, in fact, I still do.

Normal diaries though, bollocks to that, too dangerous for a start.

WOMAN'S DIARY:

Saw him in the evening and he was acting really strangely.
I'd been shopping in the afternoon with the girls and was a bit late meeting him, thought it might be that.
The bar was really crowded and loud, so I suggested we go somewhere quieter to talk.
He was still very subdued and distracted so I suggested we went somewhere nice to eat.
All through dinner he just didn't seem himself - he hardly laughed and didn't seem to be paying any attention to me or to what I was saying,
I just knew that something was wrong.
He dropped me back home and I wondered if he was going to come in,
He hesitated but followed.
I asked him what was wrong, but he just half shook his head and turned the television on.
After about ten minutes of silence I said that I was going upstairs to bed, I put my arms around him and told him that I loved him deeply,
He just gave a sigh and a sad sort of smile.
He didn't follow me up immediately but came up later and, to my surprise, we made love - but he still seemed distant and a bit cold.
I cried myself to sleep - I think he's planning to leave me - maybe he's found someone else.

MAN'S DIARY:

Springboks lost the rugby.
Gutted.
Got a pomp though.

500N
11th Mar 2014, 18:09
Cape

I used to keep a diary for future meetings etc but haven't done so for a year or two now.

Interestingly, the person I stay with at Xmas keeps a written diary of every day, what went on, what we did, who came to visit, what we shot, what meat we delivered to people etc.

localflighteast
11th Mar 2014, 18:36
I blog which I think is kind of the modern equivalent in some ways.
although it is online it is mostly for me. I started it when i started my flying lessons as I realised that this was going to be the most incredible thing I ever tried.

I started a journal when I first emigrated to Canada. I wish I'd kept it up, so much happened in such a short space of time that it all seems such a blur now. Moving countries was massively life changing and i have so little to show for it. I didn't want the same to happen with flying.

tony draper
11th Mar 2014, 19:35
Get a desk diary every Christmas,starts out ok,
Ist Jan. rain today
2nd Jan, not raining today
3rd Jan not raining this morning but it is now.
After that it just gets boring,
Feb 1st lecky bill paid
blank for the next four weeks then
Mar 3rd Telephone bill paid
ect ect
:uhoh:

Cacophonix
11th Mar 2014, 19:39
The weather and trivia! Mr Draper a quintessentially English diary then... ;)

Basically polite and very civilised.

B.J.Thomas - Raindrops keep falling on my head (HQ) - YouTube

Caco

airship
11th Mar 2014, 19:40
Caco. I don't know anything about you, nor do I intend to insinuate anything objectionable. But IMHO, it's mainly women or possibly those men who share similar effiminate traits that have the perspicacity to keep diaries. The closest I've come to keeping a diary is an A0-sized (or is it bigger?) freebie wall-thingie showing all 365 days on 1 page. I'd simply note when one of the stray pudicats came to eat that evening or not (a complete and real man would simply make a huge cross on the date to mark another day's passage...)!

Of course nowadays, many of us who engage in on-line activities may be tempted to keep some sort of electronic diary. But there's no point in going to all that effort. I for one, am convinced that the NSA / GCHQ / Google / Microsoft / Farcebook et al are keeping our diaries for us?!

And the day will come, perhaps in 10,20,30 50, 100 years, when the statutes governing secrecy eventually reach their limits, and I or you (but most probably historians from the following generations if anyone) will be able to consult the "diary archives" from our days. The 10 terra-byte capacity ultra-DVDs will be posted "under cover of a plain brown envelope" and delivered to last-known physical address, or just last known email address on record under the newest guidelines in memory of the late and great demi-God Edward Snowden. The disc itself would have a nice label though, going along the lines of: "airship: this was your life, 1960 - 20XX". :sad:

Cacophonix
11th Mar 2014, 19:44
or possibly those men who share similar effiminate traits

I am sure Mr Pepys would have taken umbrage as such an insinuation but I won't Airship...;)

Caco

tony draper
11th Mar 2014, 19:51
Indeed,
Friday morning groped upstairs maid in the broom cupboard,friday afternoon so to court,groped lady mildred in the waiting room,friday night ate two dozen pigs trotters,groped Mrs Pepys under the table.
and so to bed.
Nowt effeminate about our Sam.:rolleyes:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
11th Mar 2014, 19:58
I have one of those little slimline pocket diaries where I jot down appointments and at the end of each day a precis of what I did that day go in there. It's interesting to pick one from, say, 10 years ago and just see what I was doing back then compared to today.

I used to write records (with photos etc) of things like particularly interesting flying experiences, motorcycle tours, holidays etc as I found that if I didn't I'd soon forget so much about them. That's been replaced now by my blog which I've kept for the last few years mainly to record experiences, outings, stuff I do etc. It's for me as a 'record', for family and friends, but is available to anyone who Googles it and it's amazing how many folk from the past have read it and got in touch.

11Fan
11th Mar 2014, 20:08
Funny you should mention this as I was rereading mine earlier this week. I started at a very early age, at birth actually.

Day 1: Still tired from the move.

Day 2: Everyone talks to me like I'm an idiot.

Nothing really significant after that.

airship
11th Mar 2014, 20:15
According to wikipedia, concerning Samuel Pepys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Pepys): The diary gives a detailed account of Pepys's personal life. He liked wine and plays, and the company of other people. He also spent time evaluating his fortune and his place in the world. He was always curious and often acted on that curiosity, as he acted upon almost all his impulses. Periodically he would resolve to devote more time to hard work instead of leisure. For example, in his entry for New Year's Eve, 1661, he writes: "I have newly taken a solemn oath about abstaining from plays and wine ...". The following months reveal his lapses to the reader: by 17 February, it is recorded, "Here I drank wine upon necessity, being ill for the want of it."

Thank ye Caco. I didn't realise just how much Mr. Pepys and I had in common. In the keeping of my own (and virtual on-line) JB diary, I often have recourse to consuming a few tumblers of Scotch. But deciding whether I felt ill for the want of Scotch (or even the want of JB), or that contributing to JB often demands the consumption of Scotch as a simple necessity (to preserve one's own sanity), is not anything I'd care to dwell on this evening. If you know what I mean... :ok:

PS. 11Fan, I know where you're coming from: it started with googoo, googoo, then in later life blah blah of course we take you seriously, you're an invaluable member of the team etc. Presumably when we're all afflicted with Alzheimers', it'll be back to something like googoo, googoo...?!

Cacophonix
11th Mar 2014, 20:21
If you know what I mean... :ok:

I do indeed Airship, I do indeed... ;)

Caco

thing
11th Mar 2014, 20:37
Couldn't function without my desk diary being a busy sort of bloke. I don't know how people keep appointments and such like in their head.

As for keeping diaries of past events, when I went to the Falklands I bought a notebook and wrote down day to day stuff. Threw it in the bedside drawer when I came back and found it again last year. It was fascinating reading back through it because I'd forgotten most of what I got up to, but reading about it brought the memories flooding back instantly; thus reinforcing my belief that we actually never forget anything.

When I did my PPL I also kept a flight by flight note of what I'd done and how I felt I was getting on. It's interesting to note that the hardest bit about flying to me apparently was the R/T.

Russell Gulch
11th Mar 2014, 23:56
Kept a written diary (travelogue - ish) back in my yoof when I hitched across the USA, Canada & Africa. I even kept all the old receipts 'n'all , selotaped in but now the adhesive is perished letting them fall out.

It's still interesting reviewing those good ol' days. I wish I'd kept it up, but I got into edumication, wimmin and flyin', so I just didn't bother. :sad:

Russ

SARF
12th Mar 2014, 00:03
The only people who keep diarys are the Campbell's and blairs and Cameron's of the world for their multi million pound memoirs. .. Piers morgan will have one.. They should all be shot.. Total tossers.. Most normal people worry bout tomorrow whilst vaguely recalling last year

West Coast
12th Mar 2014, 00:16
No, but I wish I had. I changed directions many times in my life, to and from military, careers, etc. I wish I had a journal of the thought processes I went through to arrive at certain decisions, 15-25 years ago is just too long ago to recall without some prompting from notes.

oldpax
12th Mar 2014, 01:54
First was 1952,in it are the death of King George vi and Stalin!There is a gap from when left the RAF in 1968 after recording my daughters birth.Then a large gap until about 1980 when divorced loomed and recording events was necessary.After that much more overseas work and then it was vital to keep dates in/out UK etc for tax mans benefit.Now I am a bit lazy about it but put the occasional entry in ,latest was "broke my wrist while boating"!!!
Effeminate ?Come here and say that to my face!!!

ex_matelot
12th Mar 2014, 02:38
Effeminate ?Come here and say that to my face!!!

Buy my ticket and I bloody well will ;)

V2-OMG!
12th Mar 2014, 04:31
One of history's most beloved diary writers.....
The Diary of Anne Frank (1959) Trailer - YouTube

11Fan
12th Mar 2014, 04:34
Get the hook.

snopes.com: She's in the Attic! (http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/attic.asp)

John Hill
12th Mar 2014, 04:44
We always kept a dairy diary. The usual things, who was seen coupling with Fergus and whether she was eager or not. Then the dates of offspring arriving, the day the herd tester was due, when the turnips were sown. All sorts of useful stuff!

arcniz
12th Mar 2014, 05:32
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Serpiente_alquimica.jpg

Being one's own diarist is a sort of mental self-pleasuring that inexorably induces a Heisenbergian noematic recursion of memory and thought - which results in an idealized written record that neither reflects what actually happened nor what one really understood of it at the moment of occurrence.

Noema (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noema)

Worrals in the wilds
12th Mar 2014, 06:22
Get the hook.I'm annoyed now. A friend of mine claimed she'd seen that happen in a Sydney production, and I believed her :*.

I've never kept a diary apart from the 'dentist on tuesday' variety.

Cacophonix
12th Mar 2014, 11:18
Arrogance

You are right but my point was that false modesty might be an egregious form of arrogance as well. :-)

Caco

Groundgripper
12th Mar 2014, 11:43
ever increasingly suffering from memory loss, I keep thinking that I should keep a diary so that I can remember what I did and when.

Trouble is, I keep forgetting to do it.:sad:

GG

Cacophonix
12th Mar 2014, 11:49
Lone Ranger

Then perhaps I am an arrogant man whose keeping of a diary might have rendered me even more arrogant! ;)

Trouble is, I keep forgetting to do it.:sad:

;)

Caco

cattletruck
12th Mar 2014, 12:24
Do you keep a diary?

Yes, it's also called a fridge.