PDA

View Full Version : Sqn Ldr Mike Dane RIP

Oldsarbouy
10th Mar 2014, 20:19
Already posted on Military aircrew but Mike spent a great deal of his career on rotary and was very well known.
"It is with deep regret that I have to report the passing yesterday of Mike Dane. He had a very long association with Search and Rescue beginning as a Sgt Air Signaller Winchman at Manston in 1961 and it was early in his first year there when Mike had a narrow escape after his Whirlwind ditched off Ramsgate. This qualified him to join the Goldfish Club where he was the Newsletter Editor and PRO.He will be sorely missed by the 22 Squadron Association where he had been the Treasurer for many years and a glass or three will be raised to him at the reunion in May. Condolences to the family".

Cornish Jack
10th Mar 2014, 22:17
Another good guy gone. Lots of time with Mick at Valley and elsewhere. Condolences to Julie and family. The tale of his 'Goldfish Club' qualification was highly amusing as was his account of teaching an initial batch of non-UK SAR crews at Valley. He returned from a demo 'struggling survivor' sortie severely 'bloodied but unbowed'!! Said stude was awarded 0 for competence and 100 for effort! Fare thee well Mick, they were good times.

Cabe LeCutter
11th Mar 2014, 00:34
RIP Mick,
What a lovely guy, he was crewman leader when I was on the Rearcrew Selection Course at SARTU in 81 and good friends since. Somehow he thought that I might make a winchop :cool: Mick was the voice of reason and experience when running the RCC in Cyprus, a place that he kept going back to. I will have a brandy sour for him tonight.
Sadly missed.:(
Cabe