PDA

View Full Version : Debt between 165-200 thousand Euros?

WantingBetterTerms
10th Mar 2014, 18:39
Heard a few days back that some pilots are carrying massive debts on their backs after finishing flying training and buying a TR.

The numbers I have heard are between 165-205 thousand Euros

Can this be true or is it just another rumor?

If this is true then where does all that money go?

Zippy Monster
10th Mar 2014, 19:18
89 grand?!! :eek:

That's a nearly 50% increase in 8 years... it was £60k when I went through!

RHS
10th Mar 2014, 19:26
Add in a P2F lion air type 500 hour scheme and it's easy to see even the €200k figure isn't outlandish for the odd one!

karanou
10th Mar 2014, 19:27
89 grand ...... Hells teeth.

So, how do CTC manage to forge such close and tight links to partner airlines :O

Crashlanding
10th Mar 2014, 19:40
At the price of the course, i wouldnt be surprised if it was an unoffical kick back

polax52
10th Mar 2014, 19:45
Goes up with the price of London property because that is what the debt is secured on.

Zippy Monster
10th Mar 2014, 20:27
I take your point, but don't tar us all with the same brush. I will have my debt paid off within the year (6 years after starting repayments), and bought my own house last year.

(And am reasonably happy, and fairly sure my head is in the correct location as I type this.)

I'm neither for or against any training organisation. The course I took did what it said on the tin for me, and for that I'm happy.

However, seeing the way the industry has gone during the relatively short time I've been in it, I would not let my kids anywhere near a course costing upwards of £89k before you've even factored in living expenses, ending up saddled with all that debt just to get into an industry this volatile. At the end of the day, it's just a job.

ROSCO328
10th Mar 2014, 21:13
If my 5 year old even looks at an aeroplane he gets a swift bat round the lug!! Followed by the words " forget it pal ". :E

Bealzebub
11th Mar 2014, 00:01
Anyone who signed up for CTC (or any integrated course for that matter) post 2008, gets absolutely zero sympathy from me. They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say: let 'em crash
The ones who came to us post 2008 have done very well. No type rating costs (to them). Full time employment contracts. Good salaries. Good benefits (company pension contribution/ private health / Permanent health insurance / loss of licence / etc.) Good early command prospects at around 5 years post joining. Most driving new cars, many buying houses for the first time. Debt repayments structured into an affordable income/expenditure package (of those I have been shown.) Jet hours rising at 750-800 hours per annum. Licence/ medical renewals all paid by company. Career in a good company moving positively onwards and upwards.

As you rightly say, they deserve none of your sympathy, they knew what they were getting into.

TheBigD
11th Mar 2014, 00:15
If my 5 year old even looks at an aeroplane he gets a swift bat round the lug!! Followed by the words " forget it pal ".

I would do the same to my 4 year old; but after having read the latest post from Bealzebub, I think I will point him towards BB for direction and guidance...........

karanou
11th Mar 2014, 08:39
That post is like the PPRUNE equivalent of a "glossy marketing brochure" :suspect: :E

£89,000 :ugh:

Bealzebub
11th Mar 2014, 12:10
yet annoyingly true!

Mikehotel152
11th Mar 2014, 12:57
I hope nobody sees your post as an encouragement to enter the profession, Bealzabub! :p

There are exceptions to every rule! The vast majority will not see that scenario envelop them in its tender embrace.

Wannabes need to be told that potential ability and hard-work won't help getting into the best jobs. It's just luck.

However, potential ability and hard-work, combined with a lot of wonga will give a good chance of a 'job' of sorts...

Bealzebub
11th Mar 2014, 13:05
I would be very surprised if anybody did! The reality is probably reflected to some degree in the proportionate volume of posts describing individual experiences, and far and away the bulk of them are anything other than encouraging. Nevertheless, for a few there are bright spots and it provides a proportionate degree of balance to point them out.

You are quite right, the majority will not find this experience and I have made that point time and time again.

Cue the response of PPRuNe's resident idiot.
VVVVVVV

truckflyer
11th Mar 2014, 13:41
The generation of debt!
It would be fine if it was their own money they was playing with, however for the parent generation (who are mostly forking out with the guarantees for loans etc.), many of them are still stuck in time-warp where they believe the profession has a better standing than it really has.

If I talk to fellow professionals, they truly believe the pilot profession is good with regards to financial rewards. I have had few parents asking me regarding advice for their children considering the profession.

After telling them the hard facts, guess what, not so many feel the same about it.
Misinformation, lack of information, and to be honest some peoples posts here are so softly passive aggressive, that they try to take a moral high-ground that they being fair in their advice, while it is just much talk about nothing in the end.

Now I might come about a bit negative about the profession, but in this threads, compared to wannabes forum, there is a clear trend of people seeing the situation very similar to me.

Unfortunately I do not believe the bottom have been reached, I just recently heard a story of 5 guys, 3 of them already had TR, but they spent in total 75.000 Euro's each, to refresh their TR, and get 500 hours on type. We are talking about serious money 375.000 Euros in total.
And in the end, they did not even get their hours and was a very substandard TR refresh.

If people are prepared to spend this kind of money, for nothing, you have to ask yourself what is the future of this profession!

TheBigD
11th Mar 2014, 14:12
That post is like the PPRuNe equivalent of a "glossy marketing brochure"

Bealzebub, you ever consider a career in sales after you retire from flying?

Northern Monkey
11th Mar 2014, 15:02
The ones who came to us post 2008 have done very well. No type rating costs (to them). Full time employment contracts. Good salaries. Good benefits (company pension contribution/ private health / Permanent health insurance / loss of licence / etc.) Good early command prospects at around 5 years post joining. Most driving new cars, many buying houses for the first time. Debt repayments structured into an affordable income/expenditure package (of those I have been shown.) Jet hours rising at 750-800 hours per annum. Licence/ medical renewals all paid by company. Career in a good company moving positively onwards and upwards.

As you rightly say, they deserve none of your sympathy, they knew what they were getting into.

Bealzebub

What an astonishing post.

Are you honestly suggesting that the majority of newly graduated cadets get permanent contracts immediately with no TR to pay for, health insurance for free, duty pay, flight pay, pension contributions? What is this mythical company of which you speak?

The ones I have spoken to get none of the above. And they pay for their uniform and their medical renewal too by the way. And if they are lucky they will get a permanent contract after a year, which still doesn't include flight pay/duty pay.

You must tell me where I have gone wrong. I graduated in 2007 and started working in the right hand seat of an airbus in Jan 2008. I still have £20,000 worth of debt which I repay at £1000 / month, as I have for the past 7 years, and I am no where CLOSE to buying my own house or a new flashy car. And those coming through now will get nothing resembling the deal I got.

The only way a newly graduated cadet is gonna be buying their own place in the first 5 years is if a) they win the lottery or b) mum and dad give them their inheritance early. To suggest they will do so off the back of their new job in aviation is disingenuous.

Northern Monkey
11th Mar 2014, 15:11
In that case, people would be very wise to ignore his musings entirely since the vast majority of cadets graduating that particular flying school will not go anywhere near Monarch, nor the terms and conditions he mentions.

Honestly, I despair. What is the point of parading out the wonderful terms and conditions at Monarch when we all know that they take a handful here, a handful there while the other airline takes hundreds every year.

NOT ORANGE
11th Mar 2014, 18:10
It's not all bad,the boss of CTC just got a new Aston Martin,Ryanair and Easyjet are laughing all the way to the bank.When you add 50 000 quid for student loans and no chance of getting on the housing ladder you have to ask why the baby boomers are such a bunch of t***s.Still you get a nice uniform.
The government allows this as they have ridiculous pension obligations to pay and trillions of debt to pay off and who likes pilots anyway?

TeaTowel
11th Mar 2014, 20:31
Its been 10 months since this article was posted and brushed away by Bealzebub and others so I'l post it again:

Pilot debt, a safety issue?

By Dr. Simon Bennett
Director Civil Safety and Security unit, University of Leicester.

Some quotes:

My 2010-2011 British Airline Pilots Association(BALPA) funded research confirmed indebtedness to be a problem for pilots. The following statement is typical: "I accrued training costs of £118000 (ab-initio and two conversion courses) current debt left after repaying for ten years is £62000. Monthly repayments to the bank are £1050. About five years to go."

Asked to comment on the quality of First Officers one Captain said: "They seem to be selected more on...their willingness to take on huge debt then on their suitability for...command. They routinely seem to be in such dire financial situation that stress is only a matter of time." Having taken on huge debt, mediocre remuneration makes it hard for pilots to make ends meet.

Debt is a stressor. It limits options and life chances and circumscribes choice and geographical mobility. This is why newly qualified pilots find themselves commuting long distances on a daily basis or living in poor-quality, overcrowded accommodation while on duty.

Pilots careerism and vocationalism is exploited by the airlines who know that most pilots will accept base moves. Only if regulators reference the realities of of pilots' lifestyles can they deliver intended safety margins.

Are politicians, regulators and airlines in denial? Yes they are. This can only end badly.

Buy the mag and read the full article. It is a word of warning to all you wannabes out there who think massive loans are the way to go.

Superpilot
11th Mar 2014, 20:49
Thanks for that TeaTowel. Eye opening. IIRC there was a similar letter to CHIRP a while back.

karanou
12th Mar 2014, 08:25
I do have some agreement with bealzebub if you consider the situation the cadets end up in at the operator he is employed by then - and this will go against the grain to most people - this type of training path to the career of Airline pilot can have the advantages as stated. I have friends who work for Monarch, and the feedback is of a generally happy bunch at a decent company that does hold empathy towards people.

And if the detail described in his astonishing post is accurate, and to my understanding it wouldnt surprise me, then the advantages are there for someone of the right stuff to make strides towards a very good career path in a very good company. However I still find the amounts of money obscene.

The problem comes when the cadet doesnt take the route (or doesnt know they are not actually on the route - or the route gets changed mid way) to a company who holds the levels of ideals towards people as this particular operator does.

The crux as stated is that this the very high percentage of those following this path will not end up in the situation as per BB's "astonishing post". It is obvious the ftos and certain operators are abusing their position. And that many inexperienced people are getting sucked in. It is absolute lunacy to connect this training path to be connected to a loco. The horror stories are there to be seen all over PPRUNE

Ironically the holy grail of the decent operators - operators who do have some empathy for the human being, are not exempt from the overall effect of the locos effect on the wider industry. And that is the problem for all to responsibly consider.

I understand there was a change in the screening process for at least one of the "large ftos" around the time the recession kicked in. I know at the time this was felt - in the cases of those who survived the rigours of commercial flight training - at line trainer level. This sort of gives an indication to the priority of the ftos.

favete linguis
12th Mar 2014, 08:33
Failing CTC you can always pay this clown:

Jonathan Curd The Airline Training Partnership Outstanding Debt
(http://www.curdowes.me.uk)
Another crook with morals lower than whale poop

Northern Monkey
12th Mar 2014, 11:00
I don't think any of us doubt that the terms and conditions on offer at Monarch are enviable for new starters, nor that the company is one of the few remaining who apparently value treating their new pilot's properly.

The problem is they take a tiny fraction of the overall number graduating from the big three integrated FTO's. Can anyone tell us how many cadets Monarch have recruited directly out of one of these schools in the last 3, 6, 12 months? Can they also tell us how many have graduated in total within those same time frames? If you're going to plan your aviation career based on the slim possibility of getting in to Monarch you might as well pencil in "A380 Training Captain after ten years" as well, for those are the odds you rely on.

Much more responsible would be to point out that the vast majority of cadets who graduate from an integrated flying school will end up working for one of the major low cost airlines initially, ie easyJet or Ryanair. It is those terms and conditions that people should be focused on and planning for and not the lottery win of Monarch.

Bealzebub
13th Mar 2014, 16:42
What an astonishing post.

Are you honestly suggesting that the majority of newly graduated cadets get permanent contracts immediately with no TR to pay for, health insurance for free, duty pay, flight pay, pension contributions? What is this mythical company of which you speak?
I am not sure why you perceive it as "astonishing" but nevertheless it is accurate. As to the last question, if you had read back a few posts I would appear to have answered when I said:

The reality is probably reflected to some degree in the proportionate volume of posts describing individual experiences, and far and away the bulk of them are anything other than encouraging. Nevertheless, for a few there are bright spots and it provides a proportionate degree of balance to point them out.

You are quite right, the majority will not find this experience and I have made that point time and time again.

In that case, people would be very wise to ignore his musings entirely since the vast majority of cadets graduating that particular flying school will not go anywhere near Monarch, nor the terms and conditions he mentions.
Honestly, I despair. What is the point of parading out the wonderful terms and conditions at Monarch when we all know that they take a handful here, a handful there while the other airline takes hundreds every year. The answer is simple. Because these terms and conditions do exist despite the vociferous denials of many. They exist for cadets who become full time permanent employees and they exist for experienced pilots who are recruited to full time employment positions. They have existed for close on half a century. In the case of cadets this has been the case for over 15 years, and continues to be so. Ex-cadets make up nearly a nearly a third of the entire complement. In a company with a five decade history and significant renewal and expansion plans, these terms and conditions are relevant. I am sorry the numbers on offer do not meet with your personal approval and that such "musings" should be ignored. However, it is interesting that the T&C's for cadets at the big Orange airline have seemingly improved significantly over the last year. Ex-cadets from there who are now in the "experienced" category, have also joined us recently. suggesting something of a ripple effect.

Indeed you then go on to point out:

I don't think any of us doubt that the terms and conditions on offer at Monarch are enviable for new starters, nor that the company is one of the few remaining who apparently value treating their new pilot's properly.

The problem is they take a tiny fraction of the overall number graduating from the big three integrated FTO's. Can anyone tell us how many cadets Monarch have recruited directly out of one of these schools in the last 3, 6, 12 months? Can they also tell us how many have graduated in total within those same time frames? If you're going to plan your aviation career based on the slim possibility of getting in to Monarch you might as well pencil in "A380 Training Captain after ten years" as well, for those are the odds you rely on.

Much more responsible would be to point out that the vast majority of cadets who graduate from an integrated flying school will end up working for one of the major low cost airlines initially, ie easyJet or Ryanair. It is those terms and conditions that people should be focused on and planning for and not the lottery win of Monarch.

What you seem oblivious to, is the fact in that in the depths of a recessionary market (certainly over the last 5 years,) the major lo-co's were pretty much the only game in town for most people in the "cadet" marketplace. This was a dominance that those companies were not slow to realize. So if you want to highlight poor T&C's and doom & gloom generally, then look closer to home for an explanation.

As companies slowly emerge from recession, one or two airlines dominance is diminished, and as you are starting see for yourself, the T&C's are also starting to improve in at least one of those same dominant operators as well.

Giving a picture is about the whole picture, and not just the bits that suit you. There are any number of exponents of doom & gloom on these forums and many of them are mired in it. That doesn't exclude presenting the brighter spots, and nor should it.

Three Lions
14th Mar 2014, 07:58
There has never been as much recruitment onto the jet fleets of the UK and Eire as there has over the last few years.

There has never been a higher proportion of that recruitment favouring the cadet with no airline experience from just a few FTOs than during the same time.

There are more than enough decent pilots out there, with varying amounts of experience with good training records and a solid operational background that have passed through the high standard training team of any number of Airlines in the UK or even further afield.

Whichever way it is argued out, then logically the current recruitment set up in the UK doesnt stack up.

I have to say Bealzebub for your undoubted experience and articulation you are, as time moves on appearing to be promoting the routes favoured by one particular large FTO that is central to the current set up in the UK. Rightly or wrongly that is how you are coming across on this board.

I can accept you are trying to balance out the sea of negativity - caused in the main by frustration of those not necessarily clinging to the slippery rocks in the midst of the raging torrent of the stream of flight recruitment but quite possibly those slowly drowning in the stagnant pond of the current set up.

The current set up can only further degrade t's and c's for all. They are not going to drastically improve once the recession is behind us.

Northern Monkey
14th Mar 2014, 09:52
However, it is interesting that the T&C's for cadets at the big Orange airline have seemingly improved significantly over the last year.

You better tell the guys I know who have started within that time frame then who are largely reliant on mum & dad to bankroll either the rent or the debt, which together total more than their take home pay.

Giving a picture is about the whole picture, and not just the bits that suit you.

I would suggest that you could avoid much of the criticism that finds you if you were to follow your own advice in this respect. If you are going to talk about cadets buying new houses, cars, having free private health cover, free type ratings etc then why not in the same sentence mention the tiny fraction of graduates your comments refer to?

truckflyer
14th Mar 2014, 11:33
There is no doubt that Monarch is probably one of the better jobs in the industry. Unfortunately the number of positions available there is fairly limited, so very few of the bunch pilots being trained or looking for better improved jobs will get the chance of a job with Monarch.

It's a bit like winning the lottery, clearly a bit better odds than the lottery, but it's one of those jobs unless you have the right connections / friends or gone trough an integrated school that works with them, you probably have little or no chance.

Nothing wrong with this, this is like all walks of life, it's not so much what you know, more important who you know!

The Orange outfit also have a pretty good career progression, as long as you can get over the initial hurdle with the hard years in the start, after the TC's that are to come are not bad.

But these companies also have a strong union presence, which has worked hard to preserve these TC's.

Unfortunately I would say for the majority, at least in the start, very few will have the chance to get a good start in their career as they would with Monarch.

I would see Monarch as the ultimate company to work for in the UK, however I am not very positive to ever get the chance!

Torque Tonight
14th Mar 2014, 13:38
I had a young lad jumpseating a few nights ago positioning to do his initial line training. I asked where he was going to be staying, expecting one of the airport hotels, and he announced that he had his car in a layby on a lane near the airport and would be sleeping on the back seat for the next month or so. He seemed quite proud to tell us, as if we would be dazzled by his ingenuity. Poor little waif clearly could even afford a razor.

Out of all flight school graduates, this guy and his like, are near the top end of the success spectrum. You won't get a lot of fATPLs here on pprune bragging about how they're stacking shelves in the supermarket or collecting their dole every fortnight.

R T Jones
14th Mar 2014, 13:50
Whatever else can be said about easyJet, if they make you fly out of an airport that isn't your base, they will provide hotel accommodation and transport to it.

I agree that now the new entrant contract has been agreed there is career progression at easyJet. Yes, the first year of pay per hour is a bit rubbish, I did it for almost 3 years! £38k whilst you won't live like a king, should be able to pay your flying debts and get by. The FO scale at 75% is not fantastic I agree, but the 100% is £44k basic with another 5k or so sector pay. Don't forget your also getting 7% pension, eligible for the buy and save as you earn and free performance shares. Once at the SFO scale, its a £57k basic that is going up 3% this October, another £5k sector pay and a 5/3/5/4 roster. That comes up about 4 years after joining.
When I went through CTC the bond was £60k and foundation course £7k. It was an unsecured loan from HSBC. My type rating course was one of the first that required us to provide part of the money, circa £8k toward it. I'll admit, my parents and grandparents helped with the TR money. My loan peaked at £75k and now 4 years after joining easyJet it is down to £37k, with roughly another 3 years before I am debt free.
No, easyJet is not perfect and there are things that do need improving. However for the people that do manage to get in, through the flight schools or applying themselves. There are far worse places to be.

Three Lions
14th Mar 2014, 20:33
That is all well and good, but there is very little comparison between an operator of the standard of Monarch and the ezy ryr of this world. On pay, conditions, staff value , et al.

If we are not careful we will all be dragged down to the "loco level" - and that is the problem for the wider industry. Not just the cadet saddled with a "CTC sized loan" taking 3 years to pay off, on an "enhanced" Loco salary.

Good grief.

go around flaps15
14th Mar 2014, 22:00
I went modular because I couldn't afford CTC or OAA at that particular time. 5 months after I completed my training I joined Ryanair and stayed there for 4 years.

The loan for my training including type rating stood at just under 70k when I started on the line. In the 4 years I was there I bought a car which is now my own, got a mortgage, and paid a substantial amount off my loan which is now standing at just over 25k.

I've now left Ryanair and moved on to a much nicer operator and to be honest apart from the odd glitch here and there, the plan I set out to do when I embarked on taking up this career has worked out.

Was it worth it? Yes. I find the job immensely rewarding, I'm very proud to be doing it, and I have a very healthy work/life balance.

It can work out but you need to have a plan when you set out to do this.

But in these challenging times the most important thing you need is Lady Luck on your side.

The path on my journey has been littered with bodies.

Go in with your eyes open.

Mikehotel152
15th Mar 2014, 12:58
It can work out but you need to have a plan when you set out to do this.

But in these challenging times the most important thing you need is Lady Luck on your side.

Absolutely true.

silverknapper
15th Mar 2014, 14:13
GoAround

That's a nice position to be in.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. At some point in the last 8 years the line has very much changed from a healthy debate on modular vs integrated to a presumption that to get a job it's integrated or bust. I find this incredible. I trained under the modular system, came out with more hours and half the debt of a good friend who went to Oxford. And I got a job way before him. Despite the marketing crap they come out with there are a lot of ex Oxford students who haven't achieved what the marketing material promised. through absolutely no fault of their own.

I wish prospective CUSTOMERS (in capital letters as people seem to forget they are the customer, despite the joke that is selection at these places) could meet the people we all come across every day who would tell a very different side to CTC/OAA.

go around flaps15
15th Mar 2014, 14:57
I couldn't agree more. But at the moment CTC and OAA have the low hour market sewn up in the uk.

On what basis do I make that statement? Well the two main players in the UK market are Ryanair and Ezy.

Ezy take the majority of their low hour cadets from both the CTC Wings hold pool and also the CTC (AQC). The exception to that rule is an MPL course from OAA which happened two years ago I believe.

Now to the other big player -Ryanair. In my 4 years I worked at some very big training bases where I did a lot of safety pilot work with new joiners. The majority of new joiners I worked with were integrated OAA. Yes there was a few modular but most came from OAA.

So if we have now established that modular guys won't get a look in at Ezy unless they get onto the AQC scheme with CTC after their training,and only a minority of modular guys compared with OAA integrated will get a look in at Ryanair, what are we left with in terms of jet operators?

Monarch take low hour guys from both the CTC Wings and CTC AQC Pools and have a tagged MPL Scheme which runs with? Yes you guessed it CTC.

Thomson did take a few from CTC a couple of years ago but they now only take rated guys many of which are ex Ryanair and I believe any low hours cadets will be taken internally from people already in the company that are not in flying positions.

BA is all FPP which is integrated and mainly CTC.

Aer Lingus did a scheme with FTE and have previously taken a few from CTC. All pretty much integrated.

Norwegian run one course a year for low houred guys and that's an MPL tagged scheme.

Outside of that you have Wizz, Jet2,Flybe, who do on occasion recruit low hours guys from different training backgrounds. I can't remember when TCX last took anyone.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Don't get me wrong I'm all for the modular route as that's what I did myself.

However the market I entered into 7 years ago is a very different beast to the one that exists today.

I will say it again. Go in with your eyes open. Don't "hope everything's going to be alright when you finish"

Wireless
15th Mar 2014, 21:42
From Mr Lions..
There has never been a higher proportion of that recruitment favouring the cadet with no airline experience from just a few FTOs than during the same time.

There are more than enough decent pilots out there, with varying amounts of experience with good training records and a solid operational background that have passed through the high standard training team of any number of Airlines in the UK or even further afield.

Whichever way it is argued out, then logically the current recruitment set up in the UK doesnt stack up.

I have to say Bealzebub for your undoubted experience and articulation you are, as time moves on appearing to be promoting the routes favoured by one particular large FTO that is central to the current set up in the UK. Rightly or wrongly that is how you are coming across on this board.

I can accept you are trying to balance out the sea of negativity - caused in the main by frustration of those not necessarily clinging to the slippery rocks in the midst of the raging torrent of the stream of flight recruitment but quite possibly those slowly drowning in the stagnant pond of the current set up.

The current set up can only further degrade t's and c's for all. They are not going to drastically improve once the recession is behind us.

Seconded. strongly agreed.

Just getting down to brass tacks. We've known about it for ages of course. But how on earth can this....

Press Release ? FAA Boosts Aviation Safety with New Pilot Qualification Standards (http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=14838)

be so different to what's developing here??? Two western aviation regions. Bit of a yawning difference of 2 powerful regulators isn't there?

Alycidon
16th Mar 2014, 07:49
go easy on Bealzebub, he might have had his memory laundered

fepilot
16th Mar 2014, 16:54
Is it legal for companies to recruit directly from only one school given that all schools should meet the strict training standards and all students must pass the same external exams?
Cant imagine not being allowed to apply to some companies in other fields eg. law, dentistry, engineering et al just because I went to the wrong school...

For the youngsters who intend to pay large sums of money-getting a real job even if its part time may allow you to understand the value of money. Very difficult to live with such a huge amount of debt.

Mikehotel152
16th Mar 2014, 17:25
It happens all the time in other fields, usually University related.

Try getting a job at a City of London Law firm without having gone to Oxbridge. Not easy.

Wanna be in the Cabinet? Best you go to Eton...

FullTanks
16th Mar 2014, 18:55
I recently posted the following on a Wannabes' thread, but I think it has some relevance to the preceding comments here. As regards the choice of flight school, despite cadet experiences at all three major suppliers, they remain the schools of choice for all major UK operators when selecting graduates. They are seeking to employ those who have been trained by an organisation which they have probably audited themselves for suitability. The quality of the training is reflected in the quality of their graduates.
As regards the comment that City law firms will only recruit Oxbridge graduates, the range of universities may be a little wider than that - Russell Group plus Durham perhaps - but the point is well made and is a just comparison. It is also valid for accountancy, banking, management consultancy and many others, where the employer is seeking a known product from a known seat of learning.
The following omits to mention Monarch, but may be read to include that well regarded and long standing UK airline by inference.

Reality Check Required
Whilst I appreciate that many self sponsored pilots who achieved fATPL/IR qualification have, in the past, managed to secure flying positions with major UK airlines, both of the legacy and low cost type, the recruiting position is now far more problematical.
The very limited places available on each year's BA FPP program ensure that they can recruit both the most suitable, those most likely to complete the demanding course and, importantly, those whom they consider will have little difficulty during their ensuing careers in passing recurrent checks and conversion courses.
The majority of those who have been selected by BA are not enthusiastic teenagers (as I once was), but those with established and well remunerated careers. They still have the enthusiasm but were prepared to forego commercial flying until BA launched their scheme in 2011. The integrated / tagged courses with the three major training providers gave similar employment prospects to their successful candidates.
As I have tried to impress upon those thinking of embarking on a SELF SPONSORED integrated or modular course - you are by definition SELF SELECTED. Sadly the schools may consider you trainable - that does not make you employable. The unemployable (by major airlines) are distorting the market and having to face the reality of no flying job and a massive loan repayment. If you are considered to be the 'Right Stuff' by a major airline, you will be tagged for a course or offered a place on a version of BA's FPP. If you embark on professional licence training in the current climate without such assurances you will have only yourself to blame if you fail to find employment upon qualifying / graduating.
If you are prepared to accept the reality, you can still have a wonderfully successful career in an entirely different and rewarding field and still enjoy the benefits of a PPL, possibly owning your own or a share in an aircraft. There can be few, if any, other occupations in which so many have qualified who thereafter find themselves among the long term unemployed.
Good luck, but please be realistic. This is a time to let your head rule your heart.

monviso
16th Mar 2014, 20:09
Can this be true or is it just another rumor?

If this is true then where does all that money go?

It is true and becoming worse and worse. This situation is experienced among graduates too. Today, going to a College is a wonderful way to create a huge debt which will not assure you any job unless you studied in an important University.

This case scenario is especially true in U.S.A. and North America.

MaxBlow
17th Mar 2014, 18:20
Not having read all the previous posts I'd like to give you an example on how bad it is these days.

Our newly hired F/Os carry the usual sum of their MPL/ATPL training of everything between 100k and 125K €.

Than they'll pay to be interviewed by the airline (the airline has an agreement with that particular flight school).

If they pass they than have to pay 15k € for the rating and are being offered a contract for one year (note that the airline is expanding at fast pace). After a year the contract will be renewed - or not - as a fairly high number of new recruits are willing to pay as well.
Company benefits (profit on training instead of paying for), flightschool makes money, sim center makes money e.g...

At the same time management wonders why only a small number of these guys stay on once their contract runs out and contractual obligations no longer exits. They simply run from modern slavery for greener pastures.

I heard from another company that is actually asking for 2k € from cabin crew to be hired for one year:ooh:

Creating more depth makes people to 'have to work' and accept offers that nobody normally would accept.

My personal policy is 'not to pay' and thus I turned down screenings and contracts although I liked the idea of working there.

A bit off topic, but recently an agency asked me to pay 12k USD for a contract and seriously wrote that it is 'only' 12k.
Another agency offered a screening but asked me to pay for the simulator time:D

If we all would stop offering to pay than, only than could it change again. But it's probably already way to late to change this system again.