PDA

View Full Version : Garmin G5000

DTE
10th Mar 2014, 10:13
Hi All,

I was fortunate enough to fly the new Cessna Citation 680 Sovereign the other day. It is equipped with the impressive Garmin G5000. I thought I'd share a photo.

Cheers

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj92/Nostalgair/bfbdf45d-92aa-4627-910f-4240e0a41367.jpg

Trim Stab
10th Mar 2014, 11:33
Have Garmin figured out how to super-impose radar return over the MFD moving map?

silverknapper
10th Mar 2014, 12:01
Interesting.

Has it got a hold page now?

Chinchilla.612
19th Mar 2014, 16:02
Trim Stab,
Yes, you can display radar return, XM graphical weather and Garmin Connext weather data onto the map display. Only limitation is that you're only allowed to display it on the MFD and not the split PFD section.
Silverknapper,
Yep, fully functioning hold page.

His dudeness
19th Mar 2014, 17:51
But you canīt use a bigger wx rdr range than 80 nm....

flydive1
19th Mar 2014, 18:14
But you canīt use a bigger wx rdr range than 80 nm....

But you are slow anyway, plenty of advance warning;)

His dudeness
20th Mar 2014, 08:17
Yeah, rub it in....

Chinchilla.612
25th Mar 2014, 11:13
Fast/Slow, all comparative really though eh.
So far cruising along at M.80 has been great for us (coming from a CJ3 previously) and we've had no problems with the avionics.
Yes, there is still currently an 80nm restriction on using the weather radar, but you can use XM or Garmin weather data for further along the route........

flydive1
25th Mar 2014, 22:51
Fast/Slow, all comparative really though eh.

Just teasing my friend Dudeness

Chinchilla.612
26th Mar 2014, 06:51
No worries flydive1, no offence was taken.
But the old "Slowtation" tag doesn't fit for all the Citation models........

nomorecatering
26th Mar 2014, 11:28
So how does the G5000 compare to the Colins pro-Line21 in performance and ease of use?

Chinchilla.612
26th Mar 2014, 11:52
So far we've had very few operational problems with the G5000 software, although there are still some issues they are working on. There are some elements which have not yet been certified, such as the performance data, but we are told that this should be available later this year.

As for ease of use - it is a very intuitive system indeed. Although I loved flying with the Proline 21, I have found the G5000 to be no less capable and much more user friendly. If you can work an iPad (or similar) then the touch screen controls of the G5000 will be very familiar. Pretty much everything is linked too, so if you find information in one database, you can transfer it and use it elsewhere much more easily than with the Collins.

The ability to build a complete Vnav profile, including speeds for both climb and descent combined with the full profile autothrottles makes operations even easier! Even complex departures or arrivals with lots of step climb/descent points and speed changes seem to be handled well by it.

So far, the only things I miss about the ProLine 21 are the fix pages and the resolution of the Jepp Charts on the MFD. Everything else is at least equal in my opinion - loving it :ok:

nomorecatering
31st Mar 2014, 07:46
New Alpine Edition from Cessna offers avionics upgrades for Citation CJ2 (http://www.cessna.com/company-info/newsroom-and-events/new-alpine-edition-from-cessna-offers-avionics-upgrades-for-citation-cj2)

New CJ3 from Cessna offers latest avionics (http://www.cessna.com/company-info/newsroom-and-events/new-cj3-plus-from-cessna-offers-latest-avionics)

Garmin G3000 for the CJ2+ and CJ3. Will be interesting to see how much lighter the Garmin kit works out.

Pilot Positive
31st Mar 2014, 08:52
Nomorecatering,

The G3000 Intrinzic is already on the M2 which, i hear, will very soon make its debut in Europe. That will be an interesting development to watch...generally the feedback on the system has been good. :ok:

Its probably also time to change the odd single FMS Pro-Line 21 Collins config on the CJ2+ and CJ3 - methinks it will make these aircraft more ergonomic and multi-crew friendly with the G3000 (and possibly lighter?!) and will be the standard avionics fit on the CJ3+ when it arrives. :cool:

PP :)