PDA

View Full Version : Skydiver and plane collide

mickjoebill
10th Mar 2014, 01:47
Skydiver and small plane collide midair in Florida - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-10/skydiver-and-small-plane-collide-midair-in-florida/5309650)

Lucky chaps, both of them..

onetrack
10th Mar 2014, 03:40
That performance looks like something of out of Billy and Joe-Bobs "Yee-Haa!" Cowboy Show. How did a parachutist end up in an area where aircraft were operating? He didn't check any wind strength and direction before he jumped?? :ugh:

specialbrew
10th Mar 2014, 07:19
....... How did a plane end up in an area where Skydiving was operating? didn't the 87 year old pilot check the runway before he landed. or see the bright red parachute??

Parachutes and aircraft usually mix as they normally operate from the same location.

Frightening pics nonetheless..

con-pilot
10th Mar 2014, 16:29
How did a parachutist end up in an area where aircraft were operating?

Many, many years ago I almost hit a skydiver when I was landing at a small airport. I was flying a Kingair and there was a broken cloud deck at about a 1,000 feet. I broke out of the clouds and there was a skydiver right in front of me. I got a real good look at him, but he didn't see me until I passed him, as he was facing away from me.

I had a long talk with the jump master after I landed*. He was not a happy man when I got through.

* No NOTAM had been issued and it was illegal to jump through a broken cloud deck, at least back then it was.

Capot
10th Mar 2014, 17:28
didn't the 87 year old pilot check the runway before he landed. or see the bright red parachuteThe report in today's London Times said that he was taking off......

If so, I guess it's possible the parachute came from behind as he started to roll...if the skydiver wasn't expecting him to start rolling........hmmm, maybe.

Mixing parachuting and aircraft movements, apart from jump aircraft, is always going to end in tears. Especially with helicopters acting as mincing machines.

chevvron
10th Mar 2014, 19:39
Nearly happened to me when I was landing at Thruxton. Short final and the parachutust drifted off the landing spot towards the left hand edge of the runway; as I touched down, I applied the brakes; the left one operated but the right one didn't so I swerved towards him but still managed to miss him.

ShyTorque
10th Mar 2014, 23:23
Some years ago a young lady parachutist on her first descent was tragically killed as she went through the main rotors of a helicopter hovering, iirc, at Thruxton.

The two should never be operated from the same location. :ugh:

LASJayhawk
11th Mar 2014, 03:20
You guys should come check out KBVU ( boulder city, Nv )

Maybe 20 tour helicopters and a sky dive operation.

KKoran
11th Mar 2014, 03:40
....... How did a plane end up in an area where Skydiving was operating? didn't the 87 year old pilot check the runway before he landed. or see the bright red parachute??

Parachutes and aircraft usually mix as they normally operate from the same location.

Frightening pics nonetheless..
The incident happened at the threshold of a (turf) runway--not an unusual for airplanes to fly at low altitude.

The pilot probably checked the runway while on final...it was clear until just before the collision. Descending from the left, the parachute might not have been readily visible, or at least not in the normal scan of a pilot on short final.

It's best if they don't both operate to the same location (the runway).

cattletruck
11th Mar 2014, 06:11
My first thoughts were for that beautiful tail dragger Cessna.

Pity the poor plane, but I'm glad both people did not suffer any major injuries.