PDA

View Full Version : OLD Kwajalein aircraft disappears radar mystery

albatross
9th Mar 2014, 19:43
While discussing recent events in Malaysia with friends.-
I recall reading a story in Flying Magazine written in the 70s or early 80s by Ernst K Gann of "Fate is the Hunter" fame.
In the story he relates, as I recall, that in the late 40s or early 50s a C-54 approaching Kwajalein Atoll suddenly disappeared from the radar screen.
Just as "panic stations" and "operation frantic" are being initiated the aircraft reappears on the radar screen 11 minutes later In exactly the same spot as it was when it disappeared. It completes a normal approach and landing and the crew reports ops where completely normal. The problem - all clocks on the aircraft and the watches of all aboard the aircraft are 11 minutes slow.
The mystery - where did the aircraft go for those 11 missing minutes.

Anyhow I have been trying to find a link to this story and can not find one after a pretty long search.

Anyone have a clue?
No - I do not think that the MH flight has gone missing because it has been sucked into a Time Vortex or whatever but I just recalled the story/myth and wanted to read it again.

Of course if you read the over 1000! posts on the Rumours thread this would be as valid an explanation as much of the other weird stuff being posted - if it were not such a tragedy some of it would at best be comical and in some cases hilarious.

evansb
9th Mar 2014, 20:21
The aircraft clearly transited the Twilight Zone.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/convair640040/the-twilight-zone_zps1fb2de93.jpg

albatross
9th Mar 2014, 20:31
In the article Gann reported it as a true event.
Flying did / does not publish fiction I think.