PDA

View Full Version : Question about windows

myckey
9th Mar 2014, 14:50
Hello,

I know passenger windows are very resistent, but I has some questions. How they are made of? How the inner pane is made of? What would happen if the inner pane fall on the middle pane because someone hits with power -accidentally- the inner pane?

Thank you!

de facto
9th Mar 2014, 16:11
No comprendo:E

myckey
9th Mar 2014, 16:13
Inner panel is dust cover, middle panel is the window pane before outer pane.

The question is, what would happen if the inner pane falls on the middle pane because someone hits with power -accidentally- the inner pane? The middle panel will be damaged or the inner panel is soft to do anything to the middle panel (AFAIK middle panel is made of modified acrylic).

lomapaseo
9th Mar 2014, 17:11
Are you trying to describe a passenger beating on his window with his fists or head ??

I can't recall any report of a successful dislodging of an outer window in flight from passenger actions.

Capt_Tech
13th Mar 2014, 08:13
These windows are perspex,has an outer and an inner pane air gap between plug type with a rubber seal around outer edge they are supported by 12 clips when the aircraft is pressurised they plug the hole.the outer pane is about 5to 7mm thick the inner is a little thinner with a tiny hole on bottom edge to equalise during pressurisation cycle.
The reveal around the window is attached to the side panel with the blind that perspex pane is about 2mm thick this may be missing for flight and has nothing to do with the window just there for decorative reasons,these panes often get scratched by passengers.

Volume
13th Mar 2014, 08:23
They are made from streched acrylic, there are (typically) two structural and one protective pane. Structural design is "waiting fail safe", meaning the outer pane takes 100% of the pressurisation. The middle pane has a vent hole, so it does not carry loads, unless the outer pane has failed. In that case there is a minor oir leak through the vent hole. The inner pane is purely protective and decorative. Streched acrylic is qute a robust material, hard to destroy by a passenger without special "tools". Especially as you first have to destroy the decorative pane, then the unloaded middle pane (so pressure will not "assist" you), and then you can do real damage.
I am quite sure it never happened (except in the Goldfinger movie)

lynn789
13th Mar 2014, 23:01
747 windows can be hit into cabin from outside quite easily, saw film or a 747 being wrecked
was all most interesting

lomapaseo
13th Mar 2014, 23:59
747 windows can be hit into cabin from outside quite easily, saw film or a 747 being wrecked
was all most interesting

while pressurized :confused:

defizr
14th Mar 2014, 00:12
747 windows can be hit into cabin from outside quite easily, saw film or a 747 being wrecked was all most interesting

When was the last time you saw a bloke on the outside of a 747 at 35000 feet trying to knock the window in?

Bushfiva
14th Mar 2014, 02:57
I imagine he'd be knocking quite urgently, though.

Volume
14th Mar 2014, 13:24
But only for around 30 seconds or so...

747 windows can be hit into cabin from outside quite easilyBecause it is held in position by pressurisation (plug type) and 4 tiny metal clips. Should be not to hard to bend those clips and to push in the window from the outside. This may even be intentional to allow fire trucks to "pierce" the fuselage with the water cannon ?

Tinwacker
15th Mar 2014, 07:17
Because it is held in position by pressurisation (plug type) and 4 tiny metal clips. Should be not to hard to bend those clips and to push in the window from the outside. This may even be intentional to allow fire trucks to "pierce" the fuselage with the water cannon ?

Really....
James Bond films YES!!

Tinwacker
15th Mar 2014, 07:33
See Capt Tech and Volume for a reasonable description to your question.

I will just add that the most inner panel is purely sacrificial to protect the inner pane from diamond rings etc.
The small hole in the inner pane was a modification to prevent the inner pane distorting and touching the outer pane during cabin pressurisation.

de facto
15th Mar 2014, 08:38
I just hope that if an idiot or worse comes to start beating up on the window,he does it in onboard a US aircraft,gets restrained if mentally ill or beaten up by locals.
Indeed the middle window can support all pressurization .

oceancrosser
15th Mar 2014, 13:29
Hello,

I know passenger windows are very resistent, but I has some questions. How they are made of? How the inner pane is made of? What would happen if the inner pane fall on the middle pane because someone hits with power -accidentally- the inner pane?

Thank you!

You posted a thread on a.net about cabin windows which ran from March 3-10 and you closed it with the words: Everything resolved.

Yet you come here and start a new one basically with the same original question? Why? It was a ridicoulously long thread on a.net.
This is supposed (or was...) to be a "professional pilots" rumour network.
Please go back to a.net. :ugh: