PDA

View Full Version : Questions about air show display

Peter47
9th Mar 2014, 11:44
I was thinking about ways of enhancing the 'air show' flight display when flying back from HKG last Friday (being able to customise by language, select parameters etc) - mostly ways of passing a long flight but I have a couple of questions from a non pilot someone out there may be able to answer.

Could you put the output from the weather radar on the display (and are there reasons why you might not want to)?

I noticed that the expected arrival time kept changing, generally going back by a minute of so every hour but I have seen changes of up to ten minutes. Interestingly these were also on the detailed record on Flightstats. Presumably the ETA is updated by the FMS every time that groundspeed changes from the flight plan owing to wind or altitude, the flight has to go around turbulence or the hold, the landing runway changes or doubtless many other factors I can't think of, and the plane transmits the revised arrival time. Is this correct? Obviously there is no way of accounting for arrival delays, but how accurate is the air show prediction once a plane has left the ground?