PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone at all use this?

funfly
8th Mar 2014, 14:45
Surely one of the most waste of tablet and mobile resources is the Siri app. It is obviously a very clever bit of programming and one assumes that it takes up a fair bit of processing space and memory.
The only time I have used it is when we have turned the language to Japanese and talked rubbish to it- the resulting conversation is a great way to have a laugh.
But does anyone actually use it on their iPad or iPhone?

If the answer is that virtually no-one uses it, isn't it then a total waste of space?

handysnaks
8th Mar 2014, 15:49
Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be.

You're not my wife are you? That appears to be her attitude to.......:{

Sallyann1234
8th Mar 2014, 19:15
If the answer is that virtually no-one uses it, isn't it then a total waste of space? It's not there to be used.
It's there to distinguish this year's iPhones and iPads from last year's iPhones and iPads, so that iMugs will throw away their old ones and buy them. Simples.

OFSO
8th Mar 2014, 20:03
I had a similar app on my Android device. Tried once or twice, worked OK, but used lotsa memory so lasted about 24 hours before being sent to the Big Uninstall.

OTOH, having an app that reads out loud my incoming SMS texts on my tablet is brilliant when driving or otherwise occupied. At home it couples to my hifi system via Bluetooth and the synthesised ladies voice sounds just like Private Helga Geehart.

Hyph
8th Mar 2014, 21:03
I find it very handy and use it most days for something.

I just ask Siri to set the alarm for whatever time I want or to remind me about something when I get to a particular place. I have also found Siri very useful for sending text messages when I'm in the car - all hands-free.

The rise of Siri is just beginning... Apple - CarPlay (http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/)

Mac the Knife
9th Mar 2014, 00:34
"Connectivity to smartphones and other mobile devices is a key strength of QNX Software Systemsí platform for car infotainment systems, and many automakers and tier one automotive suppliers use our platform to implement smartphone/head-unit integration in their vehicles. We have a long-standing partnership with Apple to ensure high-quality connectivity with their devices, and this partnership extends to support for Apple CarPlay (http://n4bb.com/apple-carplay-infotainment-runs-blackberrys-qnx/)."

So Siri will be reborn in CarPlay, powered by QNX

Kinda ironic

:hmm:

cattletruck
9th Mar 2014, 06:07
My friend always uses Siri to communicate to a Turkish musician when they are organising a gig because it provides both of them with lots of laughter. The recipient, who is here on a working visa, has become quite adept at deciphering the cryptic English message that results.

Windy Militant
9th Mar 2014, 11:42
The " Big bang theory" has had fun with this!

Siri On Barry's iPhone 4S - The Big Bang Theory - YouTube

Raj meets Siri The Big Bang Theory S5x14 - YouTube

On Pprune tube some videos are transcribed and the captions follow the audio faithfully, not much fun, however the autocaption is a real hoot. :D

Hydromet
14th Mar 2014, 11:10
My blind mate would be unable to use his iPhone without it.

Worrals in the wilds
14th Mar 2014, 11:35
No. IMO computers should be seen and not heard.
However, Hydromet makes a good point. I particularly hate talking lifts (elevators) but they must be a godsend if you can't see. Likewise beeping pedestrian crossings.

Mechta
14th Mar 2014, 11:49
Worrals, the benefits of talking lifts are subject to one vital requirement:

NMS2VnDveP8