PDA

View Full Version : International Women's day

crewmeal
8th Mar 2014, 06:59
No one has ever really said what this is all about. Does it mean no cooking, washing up or cleaning for a day and men have to do it in the name of equality? Is it something to do with Emily Pankhurst and women getting the vote? Please enlighten me :D

Worrals in the wilds
8th Mar 2014, 10:03
I thought you'd be too busy planning your International Men's Day celebrations (Nov 19) to care. :};)
IMD Home (http://www.internationalmensday.com)

And re the cleaning I helped out at two functions and did enough cleaning (before and after) to last me a month. :zzz: :}

Cacophonix
8th Mar 2014, 10:09
I often feel that Radio 4 should have a men's hour (aimed at grumpy middle aged old sods like myself). Topics to include aviation, cars, younger and impossibly nubile and inaccessible women etc.

All the kinds of things that one can broach here on JB but on radio without the risk of bad behaviour by me and the concomitant ban. ;)

Caco

probes
8th Mar 2014, 11:08
Why would any smart man not welcome an extra chance to give their (non-mother) SWIMBO flowers without being asked: "OK, what have you done now?" :E :p

http://www.interrose.co.uk/images/products/black_background/sspring.jpg

- after all, there's Remembrance Day, even though no-one doubts they deserve more than just one day of poppies to be remembered?

gunbus
8th Mar 2014, 11:09
CACO

What a wizard idea, I can hear it now "This is Radio JB the thinking mans station,
Jeremy Clarkson presents Mens hour. Bring it ON! :E:E

Pinky the pilot
8th Mar 2014, 11:21
Here in Aussie, the National TV broadcaster, the A(LP)BC showed a brief segment of one of the celebrations of the subject of this thread. It consisted of video footage of a march, the participants chanting the usual rant;
"Whadda we want?
EQUAL RIGHTS!
Whenna we wannit?
NOW!"

Worrals in the wilds
8th Mar 2014, 11:37
We had sparkling wine and a guest speaker, which was much more fun. :}

mattpilot
8th Mar 2014, 13:05
dont worry guys, our time will come

International Men's Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Men's_Day)

603DX
8th Mar 2014, 13:11
International Women’s Day is a time to reflect on progress made, to call for change and to celebrate acts of courage and determination by ordinary women who have played an extraordinary role in the history of their countries and communities.
This year’s theme, “Equality for women is progress for all” emphasizes how gender equality, empowerment of women, women’s full enjoyment of human rights and the eradication of poverty are essential to economic and social development. It also stresses the vital role of women as agents of development.

This quote from the United Nations sums up the aim of today's IWD. In view of the centuries of suppression of women by the self-appointed male hegemony of so many unenlightened countries, including our own, I don't begrudge the ladies the opportunity to celebrate the limited degree of genuine equality achieved to date worldwide.

I have always liked women, and find it astonishing that male arrogance, no doubt fuelled by an excess of testosterone, has held them back for so long from achieving educational and political equality. And continues to do so, in those countries still living in the Middle Ages - we know who they are.

racedo
8th Mar 2014, 13:21
We had sparkling wine and a guest speaker, which was much more fun. :}

Cannibal....

racedo
8th Mar 2014, 13:23
This quote from the United Nations sums up the aim of today's IWD. In view of the centuries of suppression of women by the self-appointed male hegemony of so many unenlightened countries, including our own, I don't begrudge the ladies the opportunity to celebrate the limited degree of genuine equality achieved to date worldwide.

I have always liked women, and find it astonishing that male arrogance, no doubt fuelled by an excess of testosterone, has held them back for so long from achieving educational and political equality. And continues to do so, in those countries still living in the Middle Ages - we know who they are.

Looks like 603's computer has been hacked by a hairy unwashed lesbian feminist.................can I get any more stereotypes in ?:E

603DX
8th Mar 2014, 13:54
Looks like 603's computer has been hacked by a hairy unwashed lesbian feminist.................can I get any more stereotypes in ?:E

I will be charitable, and assume that this was a heavy-handed attempt at humour. I appreciate that showing support for the rights of women is regarded as a joke by those with misogynistic tendencies. Laugh away ... :rolleyes:

Cacophonix
8th Mar 2014, 14:05
Laugh away ... :rolleyes:

For goodness sake, women are allowed to vote. What more do they want...?

Next they will be wanting to drive cars and fly aircraft ....!

Sister Suffragette - Walt Disney's Mary Poppins - YouTube

No good come will from any of these egalitarian notions, you mark my words! ;)

Caco

redsnail
8th Mar 2014, 14:16
603DX Thank you. :D

racedo
8th Mar 2014, 15:01
I will be charitable, and assume that this was a heavy-handed attempt at humour.

You realise you are on JB not the Women Collective.

603DX
8th Mar 2014, 15:08
Keep digging that hole, you can only go lower.

mattpilot
8th Mar 2014, 15:15
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/George-Costanza-Eating-Popcorn.gif

603DX
8th Mar 2014, 15:27
George Costanza's popcorn was probably prepared by Elaine Benes ... :yuk:

funfly
8th Mar 2014, 15:39
My impression is that the women who claim this day for themselves are the same as the women who claim that it's men's day every day for the rest of the year.:=

redsnail
8th Mar 2014, 16:15
what if we are claiming it for all the women who were capable but denied solely on their gender in the past?

What if we're claiming it for all the women in the world who do not have a voice, solely because of their gender?

mattpilot
8th Mar 2014, 16:51
Women's Day Jokes (http://www.lukaroski.com/jokes/womensday.asp) :E

Krystal n chips
8th Mar 2014, 18:17
Racedo...

Sobering reading......although I suspect the content will prove taxing when your brains are, seemingly, located between your legs.

International Women's Day: not for the faint-hearted | Editorial | Comment is free | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/07/international-womens-day-not-for-the-faint-hearted)

And please, do not make the mistake ( this applies to others of a similar ilk of which there are a few ( too many ) on here ) and try and say that the criteria only applies to certain nations and populaces / religious beliefs.

No doubt your "inspired wit" will be dismissive of all and any of the issues raised.

Tankertrashnav
8th Mar 2014, 18:32
Seems an appropriate day to propose a toast:

"To our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet" ;)

Inner_Ninja
8th Mar 2014, 19:05
C'mon March 14!!!!!!!

:E

racedo
8th Mar 2014, 19:48
Of 24 posts before this one I got mass indignation in about 25%.................. sometimes it really is like shooting fish in a barrel.:E

Cacophonix
9th Mar 2014, 03:12
My mother was as tough as they get. She flew aircraft, smoked Lucky Strike cigarettes, taught me about black holes and then ******* died. I miss her.

My better half has a sense of humour. Her and her angle grinder. I wouldn't **** with her. Men and women deserve each other...

Girls, chill out...

Caco

Inner_Ninja
9th Mar 2014, 12:26
Men and women deserve each other

This is the reason some folk get all bent out of shape with the gay community. They've worked out how to get around it!

Piper.Classique
9th Mar 2014, 20:05
Well, now that you have all had your silly jokes and serious moments, I will tell you what I did for the day of human rights for women, which also happens to be my birthday. I went with two friends to la Baule in the Cub. As a Cub has but two seats, we also took a car, one friend getting Cub time each way. As it happens to be my Cub, which I firmly believe it is my human right to own, I got Cub time both ways. We had a champagne and oysters picnic on the beach, sauna and Jacuzzi at the hotel, more seafood for supper.

Sunday being the official fly-in, we went to the airfield and bimbled around watching aeroplanes until was time to eat, then more bimbling until the flight home. Both ways with perfect weather, and warm enough for Tshirts.

That sounds about right for a girls weekend away to me. Husband was at home looking after the cats and dogs. Good chap, that. I think he's a keeper. Especially as he owns half of the Cub. :-)

ExSp33db1rd
9th Mar 2014, 22:01
Question for UK residents .... does Southern Rail still have "Ladies Only" carriages, if so - why ?

redsnail
9th Mar 2014, 22:45
Not as far as I know.

Inner_Ninja
9th Mar 2014, 22:46
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/images/396x222/emily_florence.jpg

Of course we're ladies........