PDA

View Full Version : qantas needs advertising to regain aussie passengers

lynn789
6th Mar 2014, 12:49
at the age of 75 Ive been flying overseas by Qantas for many years
Qantas went thru a long period of horrible cabin service with many staff seeming to want the free worldwide travel that went with the job only. rudeness and ignoring passengers for long periods was commom, so was leaving them trapped in seats by uncollected meal trays.
it got so bad that many loyal aussie passengers could be seen wordwide, desperately trying to get their ticket assigned to any other foreign airline.
these passengers were permanently lost to Qantas, loyalty can only excuse so much
criticsm lead to the management 'charm school' program to teach cabin staff good manners and it did work and work well
all of the old nastiness and petulance is gone and the cabin staff really do try
however, an advertising campaign is needed to draw back these aussie passengers who deserted Qantas, with appeals to their nationality, and the guarantee that "charm school'' was a success

Epsomdog
6th Mar 2014, 13:39
I had the misfortune to find myself booked on a longhaul flight LHR SIN MEL about 20 years ago. It cost a lot of money and was one of the worst travel experiences I have suffered. I vowed after that to never fly QF again!

I have family in Melbourne so travel frequently down under. Would I pay £1500 just to find out if Qantas have upped their game!

Simply put.... NO!

They'd need to be seriously cheap, to make me even think about it.

fa2fi
6th Mar 2014, 14:39
They're paying the price now. There will always be those who will fly them "just because they're Australian" but the not so nostalgic or patriotic flock to the MEB3 to Europe with one stop connections, good prices and service.

Or you have the LCCs who can take you to Asia or domestic for less money than QF. It's a shame but it's became a little irrelevant. My partner and the mother in law flew QF a couple of years back. Service mediocre on 3 out of 4 flights. The mother in law repeated the same trip the year later, paying a few hundred pounds more to fly with EK.

RodH
7th Mar 2014, 19:43
I have travelled extensively over the years in both First Class and Business Class with quite a few different Airlines including Qantas.
Qantas comes nowhere near the service level of the majority of them and Singapore Airlines are so far in front of them that they may not as well even try and compete with them.
Qantas' service was appalling on most flights . It seemed to me that the reason was they thought that they were the Queen of the Skies and as such one could like it or lump it. For years Qantas was given preferential treatment by the Government of the day and now that they have good competition and cannot compete they are crying poor to the Government. Sure the Qantas Sales Act needs changing but for that CEO to ask for a
$3 Billion unsecured loan is just ludicrous in the extreme. He was playing games with the Government hoping to get unconditional support but they saw through his pathetic attempt and told him to go away and grow up and learn to fight with the big boys , mind you the Sales Act needs changing to level things up in that regard.
They now have to learn to compete fairly and properly ( with a change of the Sales Act in force ) and they have a huge way to go to get passengers who have left them to return.
I for one would never set foot on them again !!!
Once bitten twice shy and once anyone has flown with Singapore will never change.
FWIW I don't and have not worked for any of these Airlines. I just know good service when I see it and Qantas does not have any in my opinion.
:=:=

FairlieFlyer
15th Mar 2014, 05:16
And stop calling passengers 'mate' :mad:. I'm not your mate, I'm a paying passenger. I don't get called 'mate' in McDonalds let alone any bars. restaurants or other places I shop , so unsure why being on a plane makes this seem 'matey'.

baselb
15th Mar 2014, 08:51
Ah, get over yourself. I might as well complain a about people calling me "sir", because I'm not a knight of the realm. It's just a meaningless form of address.

S.o.S.
15th Mar 2014, 14:17
baselb The first four words of your post were not needed. The most important rule in PPRuNe is: Play the ball - not the player. You've been registered here since 2008 so you do know that.

I'll leave the post intact to remind others that, whatever nonsense is going on in the headline topic in Rumours & News, in this cabin, we'll stay calm.

nivsy
15th Mar 2014, 18:20
Qantas need more than advertising to put things right - they need total re-structuring and someone in place capable or recognising customer requirements. I am based in Europe and everytime I have decided to fly QF before I fly, there is a schedule change. The most recent is that they decided that it was acceptable to place us on Jetstar Asia between Singapore and Perth in economy when we had booked Business Class on Qantas. A320 instead of A330.

They are now withdrawing from the SIN-PER so another nail in coffin of international services linking Perth. Naturally all flights have been cancelled by me and altenatives sourced....although I am surprised that they never offered routing via Dubai!!! (Sarcastic)

Last time I will ever consider using QF and never their side kick Jetstar service.

Hotel Tango
15th Mar 2014, 18:33
I have to say that the one and only time I flew QF, a couple of years ago on a FRA-SIN-BNE-SYD v.v., in Business, I had no complaints for the price I paid. Sure the likes of SQ and CX are much better, but their Business fares are a lot more expensive too.

PAXboy
16th Mar 2014, 03:58
As to mode of address, it's all down to simple things like:

Social background
Mood on the day
Biz or holiday
Full fare / LCC

So there are plenty of times for a greeting to be heard in a way different to which it was intended. My father (deceased) would not have been impressed to be called anything else but 'Sir' on a flight, whereas I'm used to many forms of address and the overall service is mroe important. I have worked in service industries all my life so I am used to both sides of this debate.

meadowrun
17th Mar 2014, 05:02
Reading this thread it would seem Qantas needs to improve customer service and get it firmly established as the norm, then do some advertising - not before.

(Haven't flown QF since 1970 in a B707. Only slight downer was an all-male Y/C flight attendant contingent. The aircraft was in good nick and flown very well.)

baselb
19th Mar 2014, 14:41
baselb The first four words of your post were not needed. The most important rule in PPRuNe is: Play the ball - not the player. You've been registered here since 2008 so you do know that.It was inteded lightheartedly, but you're right. I can see it looked snarky. For that I apologise.

Sorry.

S.o.S.
20th Mar 2014, 21:10
Thanks, no problem. It happens to us all at some stage.

finestkind
1st Apr 2014, 03:35
If you do not know any better how can you complain. The pre 80’s are gone. Why would Q lift its game if the game is still working?

Simply, most pre 25 y.o have not or have only flown once. They have nothing to gauge what the standard of service should be like, having grown up in an instant gratification society (feedbag on a t Macca’s loud noisy and obnoxious.)with decreasing manners common sense, and acceptance of responsibility. Hence when the food is “frizzbied” across to them without a by your leave and the frizzbier disappears they find nothing objectionable about this.

Oh my I’m starting to sound like my grandfather.

I guess that we will have to accept that the way it was it won’t be again.