PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Oz LWOP

NoN1
4th Mar 2014, 17:59
First I hear Jets are parked, then the company is organising LWOP for crews? That's a sure sign of a major money haemorrhage somewhere. It's a great opportunity to experience another culture and set of SOP's etc for the crews. I'm sure the deployed crews would be great at improving the standard of radio calls wherever they went.

Surely the idle airframes and crews could be deployed somewhere within Oz or NZ even if the returns were sub-optimal? The losses would be less than having idle assets (liabilities would be a better term would it not?) I'd wager.

Second thoughts, I wouldn't wager, I've never understood the way Management think :hmm:

KRUSTY 34
4th Mar 2014, 20:15
Unfortunately these @rseh@les (management) are probably thinking one thing, Redundancy.

They have neither the capacity nor inclination to understand the value of experience!

Wally Mk2
4th Mar 2014, 22:13
In today's uncertain aviation climate it might be cheaper in every sense of the word to park planes up against the fence than put them to work where the costs to do that would be far higher than parking them especially knowing that money is going to be lost regardless. Besides maybe the insurance costs on parked airframes is cheaper than having them fly. The market is saturated seat wise by the looks of things so there's little incentive to put them to work especially whilst the aviation world is going bad down our way.
Airframes, pilots, engineers & all the sundry staff that keep an A/C in the sky are only tools in any Co's tool box, sometimes you just end up with too many tools for the job 'cause someone saw a bright new shinny tool some time ago when things where booming & bought it, now that tool lies idle in the bottom of the box gathering dust, no longer needed.

Wmk2

Ollie Onion
4th Mar 2014, 23:18
Wierd thing is they are still recruiting with cadet and direct entry FO's staring every month for at least the next three!

bazza stub
5th Mar 2014, 00:28
And the contract?

Offer LWOP to existing crew, employ newbies on a new un-improved contract and voila! Cheaper labour and no union bitching and moaning.

Call me a cynic.

A Comfy Chair
5th Mar 2014, 03:23
Send Jetstar people with A320 endorsements (which is a desirable commodity in the contract arena) overseas, make room in J* for Qantas pilots to avoid redundancy and opening up transmission of business discussions.

NoN1
5th Mar 2014, 03:30
Having been there and done that, if they have excess crew the 'troops' will not be getting any overtime and morale will be being damaged. There are a lot of intangibles to being overcrewed. When overtime is factored in to be a 'norm' which I've seen done to make an employment package seem attractive, it is never balanced by an 'if management f*** it up you will be compensated' clause.

Once again, I'm not a manager and can't comprehend what they do :rolleyes:

CAR42ZE
5th Mar 2014, 04:20
Are there a few aircraft parked up somewhere? JQ have traditionally had a couple of op spares this time of the year, but they always seem to have had more fence guards than I ever saw VA have. It may also be due to some short-term efficiencies those diabolical operational planners have devised that has resulted in aircraft doing more turnarounds, resulting in some airframes on a bit of an apparent break. Leasing costs can sometimes play into this - sometimes it makes more sense to flog a certain airframe and relax another...

The Volcan
5th Mar 2014, 04:22
I'm a first timer on Pprune , I think some redundancies are imminent..

nitpicker330
5th Mar 2014, 04:35
Every time I transit Narita there are an awful lot of JQ A320's sitting around on remote bays shutdown......:confused:

Tankengine
5th Mar 2014, 08:22
Toulouse has a Few!:eek:
Probably the only place you won't see them is Hong Kong!:E

Can you be on LWOP from QF and J* at the same time?:ouch:

Going Nowhere
5th Mar 2014, 08:40
As of last week at TLS.

c/n:
5685 F-WXAB (B-KJB ntu) Jetstar Hong Kong stored
5725 F-WXAC (B-KJC ntu) Jetstar Hong Kong stored
5738 F-WXAD (B-KJD ntu) Jetstar Hong Kong stored
5835 F-WHUK (B-KJE ntu) Jetstar Hong Kong stored
5850 F-WHUL (B-KJF ntu) Jetstar Hong Kong stored
5853 F-WHUM (B-KJG/VH-XHI ntu) Jetstar Airways stored
5894 F-WHUI (B-KJH/VH-XHK ntu) Jetstar Airways stored
5928 F-WWIE (VH-XHN ntu) Jetstar Airways stored
5971 F-WWBD (B-KJJ ntu) Jetstar Hong Kong stored

Plus what's at NRT. :ugh:

Iron Bar
5th Mar 2014, 09:21
"Can you be on LWOP from QF and J* at the same time?"

Sure can, Dong or Dirhams?

VR-HFX
5th Mar 2014, 11:21
Going Places

If you add the NRT flock of 5 that's enough to call it a squadron.

Over to the Squadron Leader....:D

Pappa Smurf
5th Mar 2014, 22:26
Seen similar in mining companies.Park them up and take off the books,therefore not costing anything.Actually on paper they are not costing anything,but in real life they are still costing,but less as they are not using fuel and no maintainence.

Then the next boss is mad on utilization,so then its flying everything even if only a few passengers on each.
Everything works out as figures on paper and how you want to play them.