PDA

View Full Version : The Eastchurch Kitten

Sir George Cayley
4th Mar 2014, 08:05
No, not some cute moggy from Sheppey but a fascinating replica fighter.

First World War fighter plane goes on display (From York Press) (http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11044359.First_World_War_fighter_plane_goes_on_display/)

OK the rhetoric is a bit much but an interesting concept.

SGC

ps I notice the Museum is doing a good job looking after my glider:ok:

joy ride
4th Mar 2014, 11:59
Interesting. Would the original would have been able to reach sufficient altitude? Anyone know what engine is in the replica?

I went to Sheppey a couple of years ago and noticed a sign at Eastchurch about the first flight there.

Allan Lupton
4th Mar 2014, 12:52
The original seems to have had an ABC Gnat engine of 35 h.p. so the rice pudding coefficient must have been negligable.
The replica also seems to have a flat twin and somewhere I've seen it said to be a 500 cc Citroen 2CV engine.
500 cc is not in the normal list of 2CV sizes but if it's the 602 cc it would be 29 h.p. so even less power and, safety considerations being what they are now, I expect the replica will be heavier than the original.

VX275
4th Mar 2014, 17:32
Seeing how far the pilot sticks out of the cockpit I can't help thinking its not quite 1:1. Did someone get inches and millimetres mixed up? :rolleyes:

Allan Lupton
4th Mar 2014, 17:58
According to the spec it was 5' high so judging by the bloke standing in front the replica is 12" to the foot scale. The pilot may not have sat down before this photo was taken.
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/resources/images/2895258.jpg?type=articleLandscape

Sir George Cayley
4th Mar 2014, 20:38
Next SSDR contender anyone?

SGC

onetrack
5th Mar 2014, 00:08
"Kitten" and "Fighter" in the same sentence seems somewhat like "oxymoron of the week"?

They could have at least called it the "Tiger", the "Jaguar", or the "Lion", and then proclaimed the name widely, to assist in instilling fear into the Huns? :)