PDA

View Full Version : BEM/IIP etc

Orange Whip
16th May 2002, 19:16
Just out of idle interest. Does anybody out there think that the current drive for "Business Excellence" , IiP etc is a good idea?

Man-on-the-fence
16th May 2002, 20:28
In my own humble experiance at work IIP (Investors In Paperwork) is NEVER a good idea.

Where once we could just pop into Personnel (sorry Human Resources) and ask a quick question, we now have to fill a form in, have it signed by a line manager submit it for assessment and then wait 6 weeks for an answer.

Then after 6 months we have to fill in a questionnaire reviewing the use that the information was put to (sorry crap English) and list ways in which it has help us in our work.

Its the biggest load of Bollocks I have ever come across (after Political Correctness of course)

It is an insedious evil that should be fought at every turn.

Did you know that there are ****wits that actually make a living giving training and advice on obtaining this rubbish, and whats more Companies PAY for it (by Companies I also include Government in all its forms , so its your money being wasted folks).

In the words of Python, Monty

Run away!! Run Away!!!!!!

Edited cause I,m sooo angry I threw the Keyboard down and put the letters back in the wrong place........allegedly

BEagle
16th May 2002, 20:33
.....and what, pray, is 'business excellence' when it's at home? More pointless administrivial nonsense, I guess.

59 years ago tonight the RAF demonstrated that it could do the business with true excellence. We didn't need IiP or other such pointless cr@p then - because we had an Air Force , not a collection of 'management plans'..........

Mr C Hinecap
16th May 2002, 20:57
guys - the BEM is actually quite a good idea - its about all sorts of things, but really just provides a framework for improvements to the way we do things. Generally we CAN do most of what we do better ie more efficiently, therefore more bang for our buck. But when we have c0*k-all buck to spend, we get little bang. The BEM works when you have the senior management fully supporting, financially too.
A huge problem is that industry cannot comprehend lots of what we do. Take Supply - provide a global, real-time, 24/7 system to support something as advanced as our weapons platforms (all relative). Its not near perfect, but when you explain what operationally essential and mission crit is, most civvy industry wilts & gibbers.
These management tools are not snake oil - they are to be used when fit & will not cure cancer.

Think of this - we are really the UKs insurance policy - have they been paying the full premiums? Will the policy cover everything when it is needed???????? Hmmmm.

Molesworth Hold
16th May 2002, 21:01
For any organisation to achieve IiP accreditation is a real achievement, especially if it’s a small engineering company, with perhaps a workforce of less than 100 and little spare cash to spend on training. For an organisation in the public sector that has so many resources devoted to recruitment and training, gaining accreditation is almost meaningless. I think it is reasonable to argue that any part of the organisation that can’t reach the low standards of IiP deserves its collective @rse kicked.

IiP was presented very badly to my unit, the plethora of management buzzwords, failed to convince a cynical, suspicious audience who could smell the bull$hit a mile off. I still come across people who believe that IiP is some kind of Personnel Management initiative and it will get them the posting of their choice, but who knows, perhaps IiP will ensure that your next 1771 isn’t messed up by someone, who hasn’t had the appropriate training to do the job.

BTW how many of the multitude of contractors who supply services to the RAF have attained IiP accreditation?

Incipient Sinner
16th May 2002, 21:21
I totally agree with the above. In the military we "Invest" in our people as a matter of course. Ie, You are trained for what we ask you to do.

Even my old Staich misunderstood IiP and thought that it meant paying us lots and making sure we got to see our families regularly.

All in all IiP is a waste of one week a year when we swot for the exam when the accreditors are coming.