PDA

View Full Version : Brighter day dawning?

Fokkerwokker
2nd Mar 2014, 15:56
Does the team think that there will be a genuine 'sunlight readable' android tablet on the market anytime soon at an affordable price?

I am lucky enough to be the custodian of a lovely old Robin Dr220 with a nice bright cockpit. Being hooked on the Skydemon navigation software I struggle to see the screen on my Nexus 7 unless it is a dull or cloudy day.

Do any of you know of anything in the pipeline or could you point me to a website that may discuss forthcoming 7-8" tablets with the android operating system? Looking for a built in GPSs - and of course with 'lots and lots of nits' for the screen! I have a power socket near at hand, on the instrument panel, so 'trons and wiggly amps' are available to supplement the tablet battery.

Not terribly technical I know but you get the picture no doubt!

Any kind of 'heads up' much appreciated.

FW

llondel
2nd Mar 2014, 17:53
Get a Nook Simple Touch e-reader and put a full Android release on it? I did it once, it's not that difficult. If you're after real-time screen updates then it's not going to work, but for static images that you don't need to change too often (such as when reading a book) then it's just fine, and readable in bright sunlight.

Phalconphixer
2nd Mar 2014, 20:23
Interesting article on this very subject here...

Tablet Displays Under Bright Ambient Lighting Shoot-Out (http://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_Brightness_ShootOut_1.htm)

It would appear that at the moment the only half way decent Android tablet for your purposes is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, but even that suffers from considerable wash out under direct sunlight levels...

As the badly advised owner of a Nokia smartphone which is effectively only usable indoors, I found the article quite interesting. Given that the camera on the phone is quite capable of producing some good photographs, its a real shame you cant actually use it to its full potential outdoors because the display screen is totally washed out... For the same reason unless one places the device in a rectangular tube shaped box to shield the display from sunlight the GPS facility is a lost cause! Trying to read text or whatsapp messages outdoors is nigh on impossible...