PDA

View Full Version : HDMI port

gemma10
1st Mar 2014, 08:42
When connecting my HP laptop to the TV via HDMI cable, I get perfect video but no sound. Goggle searches suggest this is a common problem and to right click on the audio icon and in playback select HDMI port. But there is no icon for this, only the Realtek speaker icon. Is there another method of routing the audio to this port?

Bushfiva
1st Mar 2014, 08:55
Depending on the exact version of your OS, Start>Control Panel>Sound, look at Playback tab. If HDMI isn't shown, right-click in a blank part of the window and select "show disabled devices". If you still don't see HDMI, you may need a driver update or, in the worst case, your HDMI doesn't support audio out, though that would be unusual on a laptop.

gemma10
1st Mar 2014, 19:03
Thanks Bushfiva, have updated the driver for sound. Seems to be working well now. The odd thing is, I thought all drivers were updated via microsoft. How wrong I was. Also for the benefit of anyone else, one can only sea the tv icon in the volume control AFTER the HDMI cable is inserted. Nobody ever mentions this in the goggle search. :ok:

Loose rivets
1st Mar 2014, 20:02
Yes, that had me going for a while. Even now, I can't swap between the two without the procedure. It's a PITA.

Gemma, are you now able to swap from TV tuner to laptop without going into the menus? i.e. just plug it in and the TV sees it.

gemma10
2nd Mar 2014, 06:44
Loose Rivets, No but all I have to do now is lastly plug the hdmi into the laptop and right click on the volume icon and [in my case] select Panasonic tv.
And with the new Realtek hi def driver the sound on laptop and tv is awesome.

Gemma