PDA

View Full Version : Copying old 35 mm slides.

ExSp33db1rd
28th Feb 2014, 00:51
Suggestions please for copying 35mm and 2 1/4 sq, Kodachrome and Ektachrome slides to the computer for eventual DVD for posterity ?

Three years ago I bought a gadget from Brookstones in the USA, called an iConvert, and installed the enclosed ArcSoft PhotoImpression 6 software and it worked OK, then I packed it up and brought it home and am once again attacking what is going to be a mammoth task ! ( doesn't time fly when you're having fun !! ) Basically the gadget is just a light box through which you pass a strip of up to 3 35mm slides at a time, that plugs into a USB socket and sends them to the ArcSoft editing software. I don't seem to have the ability to use other photo editing programmes, such as Picasa for instance, but in fact I really only want to copy 'as is' and save to a digital medium.

Unfortunately, although the software disc has downloaded to this present computer - not the one I first tested it on - and I can copy slides, when I open them to maybe edit and save, it increases the Brightness and Contrast in two quick steps from the original to produce a picture which is totally unacceptable , i.e. hard and washed out, e.g. faces are just two white saucers with black dots for eyes !

The ArcSoft editing programme then allows the Brightness and Contrast values to be increased, not decreased back to the original.

What systems, methods, do others use ?

Bushfiva
28th Feb 2014, 01:30
I have used a range of Minolta and Canon slide scanners over the years, usually with Hamrick's Vuescan since that supports color profiles for many types of negative and positive films, supports the IR channel where present, and has other neat tricks.

It took me a couple of years on and off to digitize around 500 films, then I wised up and borrowed a slide feeder, then wised up yet again and used a commercial service...

ExSp33db1rd
28th Feb 2014, 02:23
[......and used a commercial service... ]

probably the way to go, but I'd like to have a go myself before giving in.

I use a Hamrick VueScan programme successfully on a flat-bed paper and print scanner, but need something else for slides, hence the gadget I bought, but it seems to have got itself a snag - probably me pushing the wrong buttons somewhere - but where !

AtomKraft
28th Feb 2014, 06:02
There's no shortcuts or easy answers with this one.
Faced with a similar problem to yours, I bought a Nikon Coolscan V.

It's an excellent machine, but there's a real effort to get the scans good, and it takes absolutely ages.

Even if you get them done professionally, you're probably going to spend time in pp.

Good luck. :ok:

Bushfiva
28th Feb 2014, 06:09
I think the slide feeder doesn't work with the Coolscan V, even though it fits mechanically; only with its more expensive brother. But this was a few years ago, so maybe Nikon has got its act together now. But anyway, it's a big job even with the best kit you can get your hands on.

A A Gruntpuddock
28th Feb 2014, 06:45
I bought a Canon converter but found it a bit fiddly and time-consuming - lost interest very quickly.

My current canon scanner has an adapter for slides and that is pretty good, although I found it tended to give everything a bluish, cold look. Might have been better if I had upgraded my VueScan software and used that. Still a bit fiddly to use but if you're considering getting a new scanner anyway it's worth thinking about.

Easiest was one of these bought cheaply (used but in good condition) from ebay. Not absolutely top quality but good enough for computer viewing and you can always select the ones you really like to send off for professional treatment or printing.

HOME MOVIE TRANSFER - Convert Your 8mm S8 and Slides to Video DVD Digital | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOME-MOVIE-TRANSFER-Convert-Your-8mm-S8-and-Slides-to-Video-DVD-Digital-/251462773442?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item3a8c596ac2)

Very fiddly to set up but easy to use (as long as the projector stayed focused), just sit with the slide projector remote in one hand and the camera remote in the other. You can process the slides very quickly.

Loose rivets
28th Feb 2014, 07:11
There's no shortcuts or easy answers with this one.

We've had a couple of long threads on this one and I suggested photographing the slides with a remote and a very good screen. Not bad results, and about one every two seconds!

My Epson 3170 is not bad, but really, the setting up and positioning of the slides is very time-consuming. ( I had a better model Epson, but the slide holder looked like a pennyworth strip of plastic - like the bits left over when you've made a model aircraft.) I took it back.

The problem with the dedicated 35mm devices - apart from the cost - is the plodding slowness. The results are less than startling.

It's the stunning realism of projected 35mm slides that made me think of snapping them.

mixture
28th Feb 2014, 08:16
Drum scanner ? :E

vulcanised
28th Feb 2014, 11:35
Past experience has taught me never to buy any more products with bundled Arcsoft software.

Mac the Knife
28th Feb 2014, 15:09
Yeah, I've been through this ****, until ...I wised up yet again and used a commercial service...

Possible, but it depends on what your time and blood-pressure is worth

Mac

:sad:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Feb 2014, 16:04
I projected slides on to a screen and photographed them with a digital camera. Little bit of post-processing and the result is acceptable.

Pelikal
28th Feb 2014, 16:59
Drum scanner ? :EI for one can understand the :E from Mixture and I will multiply by 5. I used to work one of these beasties when in pre-press...

0y3RdBRED50

Celsis 6250. Quality of scans outstanding. Some units are still available I believe but they will not fit on your average desk top. The Art of mounting in oil takes quite some time, so don't rush.

There must be easier ways...

PPRuNe Towers
28th Feb 2014, 17:04
Don't forget the old, classic ways of duping to create digital files. Loads of Ohnar zoom duplicators around for 25 quid or less on eBay.

EOS magazine article: Slide copying (http://www.eos-magazine.com/articles/viewfinder/slidecopying.html)

Rob

ExSp33db1rd
28th Feb 2014, 20:33
Thanks guys, looks like a labour of love either way, but the Ohnar gadget looks promising.

BigEndBob
10th Mar 2014, 20:01
Lidl have a photo scanner converter thingy on sale at the moment.
For anyone in the UK.

Found it;
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-9DB0D568-81148FCB/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=10567

ExSp33db1rd
10th Mar 2014, 21:46
[Lidl have a photo scanner converter thingy on sale at the moment.]

Interesting ! That is EXACTLY the gadget I am now having trouble with, but mine was purchased in the USA under a different brand name, and sold by Brookstones, a chain of electronic / digital shops.

Cremeegg
10th Mar 2014, 22:42
I've had good (if slow) results with the Plustek OpticFilm 7600 with Silverfast software - claimed 7200dpi - now I believe superceded by some 8000 series models. Usually several on EBay - but usually buy it now rather than auction.

Sold as this in UK - probably different names elsewhere

Capn Bloggs
13th Mar 2014, 11:44
It's the stunning realism of projected 35mm slides that made me think of snapping them.
I did that on a few for testing. Used a Topaz plugin for Photoshop Elements to smooth out the bumps (you can see the texture of the screen) and the results were great. When I get around to doing my lot, that's exactly what I'll be doing.

If I have a couple I really really need to be extra great, I'll chuck them in the scanner, but otherwise, I'm going to happy snap (at) them.

A A Gruntpuddock
13th Mar 2014, 12:59
If you have a projector, currently on ebay -

VIDEO CONVERTER FROM FILM/SLIDES TO DIGITAL | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIDEO-CONVERTER-FROM-FILM-SLIDES-TO-DIGITAL-/141211373739?pt=US_Scanners&hash=item20e0da90ab)

CAMLINK SLIDE/CINE TO DIGITAL/VHS FORMAT CONVERTER | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMLINK-SLIDE-CINE-TO-DIGITAL-VHS-FORMAT-CONVERTER-/301116082781?pt=UK_Collectables_Bus_CoachCollectables_SM&hash=item461beaca5d)

CAMLINK CVC100 Slide CINE to VIDEO Converter.with EXTRAS Boxed | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMLINK-CVC100-Slide-CINE-to-VIDEO-Converter-with-EXTRAS-Boxed-/390794515636?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5afd2b14b4)

Daylight Mini Projector Screen Film & Slide Convert/Transfer to Video- Super8/16 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daylight-Mini-Projector-Screen-Film-Slide-Convert-Transfer-to-Video-Super8-16-/201042169290?pt=AU_Cameras_Projection_Equipment&hash=item2ecf0c0dca)

Warmtoast
17th Mar 2014, 00:05
I've over 1,500 Kodachrome 35-mm transparencies dating back to the late 1950s. I've tried a variety of scanners and although most gave good results the time factor involved in scanning and processing meant scanning all 1,500 individually was an almost impossibly long task, so I took the commercial route and had them scanned professionally.

It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't expensive either and I'm more than satisfied with the quality of the results. I had it done locally and when I checked on progress the lady at the processing lab doing the scanning said she thought she knew my family intimately as there are photos of my kids from babies to young teen-agers that she'd scanned in and recognised!

My recommendation is if you've more than a couple of boxes of transparencies and can afford it, get them scanned to DVD professionally.

Certainly my kids and grandchildren can see these slides now, which before they couldn't without setting up the projector and screen.

ExSp33db1rd
17th Mar 2014, 01:14
My recommendation is if you've more than a couple of boxes of transparencies and can afford it, get them scanned to DVD professionally.

Have a suitcase full ! Plus 8mm cine.

Guess you're right, might give them to the kids, at least they're earning now !

Just done the one so far - of my dog !!

BOSSIE
17th Mar 2014, 15:55
[QUOTE] Don't forget the old, classic ways of duping to create digital files. Loads of Ohnar zoom duplicators around for 25 quid or less on eBay.

EOS magazine article: Slide copying (http://www.eos-magazine.com/articles/viewfinder/slidecopying.html)

Rob/QUOTE

They didn't mention the price Rob-
Looks like a great solution.

Warmtoast
17th Mar 2014, 16:45
ExSp33db1rd

Plus 8mm cine

Same as me. I have 1,150ft (c.75-mins) of Standard 8mm Kodachrome cine film taken between 1959 – 1963 showing my service with 99 Sqn (Britannias) and later (wedding, family footage etc.). I had these transferred to DVD professionally too, then used Corel's Pinnacle Studio to edit, adding music and sounds where necessary, and then burnt into meaningful videos that can be played on any home DVD player.