PDA

View Full Version : Quick command for experienced pilots

triple_2
27th Feb 2014, 08:22
Hi all,

I was just wondering if there are any airlines in Hong Kong who hire experienced first officers for a fast track command. I have 3800 hours A320 right now, your advice would be very much appreciated :ok:

Yonosoy Marinero
27th Feb 2014, 09:54
Fast track to command? Why certainly milord. Might I recommend a side of housing allowance or basing? Free Thai massage, perhaps?
Well, let me wake the CP up, an aviator of your calibre deserves a dustless path to the left seat in our fine establishment.

Why are all these posts suddenly cropping up on here?

I distinctly remember a wannabe forum somewhere...
Am I old and grumpy already?

asianeagle
27th Feb 2014, 10:03
Get your popcorn and refreshments ready boys and girls…this could be fun:}

Oldaircrew
27th Feb 2014, 10:47
That's funny,

I have 12000 hours with 8000 on the b737, 747, A320/330/340 and now the 380. I don't expect quick command, why should you?

Lowkoon
27th Feb 2014, 11:02
Sounds like a wind up gents.

The FUB
27th Feb 2014, 11:37
What is the time to command in KA? Pretty short if you have the hours.

Lowkoon
27th Feb 2014, 12:31
KA is minimum 5000hrs for command.

swh
27th Feb 2014, 12:55
Jetstar Hong Kong would fit the bill, best work life roster in HKG as well.

Lots of pilots on the books, very fuel efficient, no aircraft, no airline licence.

AQIS Boigu
27th Feb 2014, 13:02
Go to the Middle East...we don't entertain backstabbers in HKG...(besides a few lucky freighter captains...).

Here are your numbers for your quick command...

CX - 13 years atm

KA - coming down slowly due to too many cadets on the books - 7 years atm

HKA - too many captains as it is - a few got theirs in 7 years or so, lots of FO's leaving.

HKE - no idea

go43andrti
28th Feb 2014, 05:41
he asked for help you jackasses. No, there isn't anyone hiring yet looking for direct entry capts. (to my knowledge). Please forgive the fellow CX guys, their egos disallow them from acting human and helping out on occasion. And for god sake, what ever you do, don't end up being the idiot sitting in the right seat with 12,000 hours.
Perhaps he should have phrased the question, "where can I go to make sure I spend the maximum amount of time in the right seat". Would that have offended you less?

Oldaircrew
28th Feb 2014, 06:49
Go43andrti,

Your arrogance is astounding.

You have no clue what my circumstances are, yet you label me an idiot for being in the RHS. Rest assured that I am not the only FO with 12000 hours in the world. Most of the major airlines' FO's are in a similar position. Very few of them are the "idiots" you so disdainfully refer to.

The point is that there should not be short cuts to command. The OP should be concentrating on learning the trade properly instead of trying to scramble up the ladder before he is ready.

go43andrti
28th Feb 2014, 07:10
"astounding", wow, I don't feel such compliments should be cast in my direction (forgetting the arrogance part of course). You also don't know my circumstances so your response is also as ignorant as you are implying my response was. I am one of the idiots i'm calling out. I'm aware of the flight time of the gents I fly with and your 12,000 hrs is dwarfed by what my log book says. The biggest idiot move I made was buying the bill of goods that CX was selling. Furthermore I'm an idiot by not checking around more and seeing WHO HAS THE SHORTEST TIME TO COMMAND!!! Where I'm not an idiot, nor am I a jackass, is by mocking someone who comes here for help. As you can see by my frequency of posts, I rarely give my opinion on this forum. When I do, It's constructive and normally helpful to people asking for it. You've posted 3 times as much as I have, I wonder how helpful and constructive those post were. My post may have offended you and I'm sorry for that. But ridiculing a guy seeking help and then calling me arrogant when my post was anything but that, needs to be called out.

Flying Mechanic
28th Feb 2014, 08:36
Your best bet for a fast command would be to join one of the corporate management companies in Hong Kong. There's over 90 jets based here now.
Command is typically 3 years. There's a few corporate airbuses based here to.

Oldaircrew
28th Feb 2014, 09:32
Go43,

Read my original post again. I am not ridiculing or even mocking the first poster, I am expressing my frustration at the sense of entitlement that the younger generation of pilots seems to have. Most pilots I know would not consider 3800 hours as particularly experienced. I do admit to not knowing what total time the OP has.

You may be right that my post was not particularly helpful but perhaps, if we all followed the same path, instead of trying to buck the system, our industry T and Cs would not be in the crapper.

Even though I am still only an FO after my pitiful 12000 hours, I am generally happy with my lot. It appears that you cannot say the same and for that, I feel sorry for you.

Lowkoon
28th Feb 2014, 09:43
Might i suggest we move this to the wannabe forum where it belongs?

Falck
28th Feb 2014, 12:42
Not at the moment but Air Asia 6000 hrs tt of which 2500 should be on EFIS A/C.
That is for a Captain position.

VijayMallya
28th Feb 2014, 19:32
etihad... 3 years...

cxorcist
28th Feb 2014, 19:39
This thread puts a crystal clear definition on the term, race to the bottom.

Pilots, we are our own worst enemies. Par usual.

go43andrti
28th Feb 2014, 20:07
and i'm partly to blame exorcist.

I was too aggressive Old. I just get frustrated with people getting berated every time they ask a damn question. Your time is far from pitiful and we both know that. My lot in life is in focus now, I make a good living and your genuine sympathy is not needed. I do wish I had done my homework better before taking this job which is what I think this guy is trying to do. Whilst my bank book is fine, my aspirations of fulfilling my pilot career will end up short sided as my choice of airlines was poor. If everyone were to sign up for a 'one world' union that would enable all of us to get what is owed in due time and in order of experience, I'd sign up. That obviously doesn't exist and the best we can do is to choose our career paths as best we can. I don't fault a guy for trying to get to his goal as soon as he can.

Gravox
1st Mar 2014, 00:06
You might be better off at one of the business jet operators that operate out of HK. Not sure how long till command, but I know a guy who got a command in 3 years.

triple_2
1st Mar 2014, 00:22
Thanks for backing me up go43, wouldn't have imagined there are so many frustrated guys out here, although to be very honest, I haven't ever read anything positive here either. It was just a question, indeed we are all colleagues here and some people prefer to burn each other down, enjoy! 12000 hours in the rhs old whatever, omg, you must need a lot of practice ;) Since we are not into space shuttles I know I'm up for it, I'm not asking for an A380 command, just A320. Anyway, lots of words and still no advice, I'll keep looking around, thank you.

AQIS Boigu
1st Mar 2014, 01:17
ok...on a serious note...

There are no fast track commands in HKG - the only remote chance would be Jetstar HK but as you most likely already know they are having trouble getting their AOC and quite frankly nobody really wants them here anyway. The biz jet world is another option.

To be honest the days of fast track commands in Asia are gone - AirAsia used to have them for expats but that opportunity stopped a few years ago.

As per my previous post; if you are after the magic quick command (not sure what time frame you are thinking of) you need to go to the Middle East or sell your soul to some company in Indonesia or Vietnam where you can pay for a command.

AB

Dihedral1
1st Mar 2014, 02:58
Me thinks you are mistaken, try Vietnam airlines, 3000 hrs tt (jet) both local n expats, while we can pontificate the merits of learning your craft etc, the explosion of aircraft orders throughout Asia will only accelerate this trend, not slow it down. Management need bodies in the cockpit

SMOC
1st Mar 2014, 08:21
if we all followed the same path, instead of trying to buck the system, our industry T and Cs would not be in the crapper.

I think you'll find it's the fact we all follow the same path that is screwing our conditions, if we all bucked the system perhaps they would pay us to stay on the path!

Conditions certainly aren't getting better historically unfortunately.

Lowkoon
1st Mar 2014, 08:49
How many other jobs do you think there are, that are in demand, yet get paid less now than they did in the 1980's?

triple_2
1st Mar 2014, 11:07
Thank you very much gentlemen. Good advice indeed, I'll see with Vietnam Airlines, last time they told me two years but ofcourse it's up to the company to decide. I heard several expats were upgraded and that the company is good. Paying for a command? If that's what it's going to take, I rather use the money to get myself a different career. I always wanted to be a chef;)

B200Drvr
2nd Mar 2014, 01:16
Flying Mechanic, problem with your theory is that He has no Corporate rating, and no Corporate operation will pay the $50K+ to rate Him. ACJ and BBJ pilots are a dime a dozen for 1 or 2 airframes so He really has to stand out, or more importantly, have an insider to get those positions.

Flying Mechanic
2nd Mar 2014, 01:46
Yes true you will really need someone from the inside pushing your cv these days in corporate.

Mach E Avelli
3rd Mar 2014, 00:41
Jumping from one airline to another while still a F/O carries risk. You don't know the politics and policies of your new employer, whereas you would know in your present company how long a command is likely to take.

It is much easier to move around as a DEC once you have 1000 hours command on type.

As for 3800 hours - that's not so much, especially if most has been in the RHS. Having said that, remember it's not the hours you put in that are important, it's what you put in to the hours.