PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection sharing

Large Dave
16th May 2002, 14:53
Alright Guys,

Soon going to be moving from uni halls where I'm currently served by a bitchingly fast connection to a private flat. We're thinking of getting Openworld put in and I need to know what I'll need to share the connection. I understand XP does this natively, so is it just a case of getting a hub? Both the computers already have 10/100 RJ45 net cards. Does the openworld adaptor come in through USB? Is there any advantage in getting a 100mbps hub?

Cheers!

Dave (large).

ORAC
17th May 2002, 15:37
A lot of these things will only work with one IP address.

So, rather than a hub, get a router from someone like SMC which allows you to program it with the IP address and log-in details. It will then do your internet sharing and act as a DNS/DHCP server for as many machines as you want to plug into it.

Get something like the Barricade and you get 802.11b as well and can access it through wireless any where in the building without the hassle of wires!

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
17th May 2002, 22:01
You may want to check out http://www.smoothwall.org/ You'll need another computer to actually be the fireawall/router, but almost any old hardware will do. You'll get a firewall, network address translator (which means you will be able to share connections across multiple computers -- but check you conditions of service ;-) ) web proxy -- if you want it -- and intrusion detection system. Oh, and DHCP and DNS, too. All for free :)

Post or email any questions if you have any.

Large Dave
18th May 2002, 10:02
Thanks for the replies guys.

Just a couple of things: I should have made it clearer that I'm only looking to share the connection between two computers, and what with being a 'hard-up student', I'd like to go for the cheapest option so I've got more beer money. Hence, wireless isn't the way!!
I checked out the smoothwall page and it looks a bit like overkill for what I'm after, and also space is at a premium in my pokey digs so I could do without another system in there.
So it looks like a router is the best choice. What's the difference between a router and a hub, and do I need to plug the ADSL adaptor straight into the router?

Cheers!

Dave.

Fly-By-Wireless
21st May 2002, 13:09
It's best to check the specifications of the kit you're buying before throwing out the supplied modem though. Generally speaking, if the device is labelled ADSL Router/Modem, it will be okay to replace the supplied equipment. However, if the product is not listed as a router or modem, the hardware may lack the ADSL de-modulation circuitry. Most gateways tend to be configured in a way that they just handle TCP/IP packets, and don't modulate/demodulate. That said, they are great devices, usually having NAT, DHCP, DNS, Firewall, and sometimes wireless all in one neat little box. Also, check with your service provider regarding replacing the supplied modem/router as they may have restrictions in place to prevent this.
IMHO your best bet would be to stick with the supplied modem and put your beer money into a cheap gateway.
BTW, although most of these gateways have a 3 or 4 port hub in them, they will usually take extra hubs/switches being connected to them. The maximum number of PCs is usually restricted by the software (usually the DHCP server).

I got a bit carried away there. Hope this helps anyway.

Lost_luggage34
31st May 2002, 07:28
If you're going for the regular BT ADSL offering it comes in on USB. Cheapest solution would be to have one machine managing this connection, with some firewall software (Black Ice from Internet Security Systems - http://www.iss.net is a good one). Then connect the 2 PCs via an Ethernet crossover cable - give them IP addresses and download some free proxy server software (try http://www.analogx.com/) to run on the ADSL connected PC. Point everything from the second PC to this. Works for me and avoids requirement for a separate hub or router.

Good Luck

fobotcso
31st May 2002, 11:10
I've only just spotted this!

Given that your two PCs have static IP addresses and are peer-to-peer networked (a Cat 5e crossover cable is all you need between two Network Interface Cards), the Host workstation connects to the ISP in the normal way and receives its dynamic IP address from the ISP server.

Your Host Workstation acts as Server to its mate which is a Client.

I use Deerfield's Wingate Internet Sharing Software found here:

http://wingate.deerfield.com/

Version 4.5.1 is their latest and it's cranky on Win2K, but version 4.4 is solid on Windows 98. Costs a little using a Credit Card on the Web. (£20-£30?)

So, it's one Modem (or ISDN Adapter), two NICs, one X-over cable and the software. The ISP only sees one IP address so doesn't know you're sharing the bandwidth.

I've had four PCs sharing an ISDN connection (through a proper LAN) and it was acceptable. But it's obviously better to reduce simultaneous access if you want a fast connection.

This set-up is more for the convenience than anything else.

WhiteSail
31st May 2002, 17:53
As fobotcso say's, the crossover option is the quickest, easiest and cheapest option.

I suggest you use Zone Alarm for your firewall, which has proven in tests to be more effective than Black Ice, and don't bother with Windows internet connection sharing, use this little program, (Proxy), which will share your internet access and e-mails effectively. And the best part; they are both free!!

http://www.zonelabs.com/

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network.htm

Lost_luggage34
1st Jun 2002, 08:33
Hi WhiteSail,
Just saw your posting re ZoneAlarm & BlackIce. Do you have any further info ? Just that I have tryed hacking BlackIce to death with about every means I know and haven't found any issues with it - perhaps because of the way I have it configured ? i.e. tighter than a ducks etc.

Just curious, thanks.

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Jun 2002, 10:08
<gloat mode ON>

Move to Cheltenham - Blueyonder cable giving me <checks> 2.32 Mbps as I type. A decent laptop and a wireless LAN completes the picture...

A typical album at the highest quality takes about the first track and a half to download :)

<gloat mode OFF>

WhiteSail
1st Jun 2002, 10:57
Well try as I may L_L, I cannot find the article where I got that information from, but whilst I have been trying to find the link for you, I notice BlackIce has been updated, so my comment above may no longer apply. (I am almost sure it was on the Gibson Research site, but I can't find it now).

Certainly your point about how you configure the firewall, will have a significant effect on how it performs, and if you are happy with its performance, who am I to argue!!

Never the less, Zone Alarm remains a very good (Free) firewall, and as the originator is obviously trying to keep costs to a minimum, it remains (in my view) a sensible choice.

All Systems Go
1st Jun 2002, 15:52
Hi Sail.

I've got 3 machines sharing one ADSL connection - the ADSL modem is the little green Alcatel Frog, and as such won't plug directly into a router. The machine that connects to the internet directly has XP home edition on it, and I use their ICS software with no problems at all. Make sure you create the network sharing type disk mind. I've got ZoneAlarm Pro as a firewall amd it all works like a dream. It can be a little tempremental, but 9.9/10 it works. And its sooooooooooo simple. Much easier than I thought. Incidentally I've got a hub connecting my 3 machines together - it allows better upgradablilty (more machines) than the cross over cable job.