PDA

View Full Version : Hawker Seahawk engine change?

sandiego89
26th Feb 2014, 19:32
For an engine swap, did the Nene engine come out/in from the top? Was there some sort of sleeve that covered the connection between the rear of the engine and the bifurcated pipe? Was the pipe unit one big piece and did it need to be swapped out much?

Any insight appreciated.

joy ride
26th Feb 2014, 20:20
I seem to remember a Database in Aeroplane about 15 years ago which said that the engine came out of the top. Not sure about the other details

DaveReidUK
26th Feb 2014, 20:36
Ask these guys: Contact (http://www.royalnavyhistoricflight.org.uk/contact)

Lee Howard
26th Feb 2014, 21:07
The engine only goes in/comes out one way: with great difficulty! Oh, and from the top.

There's probably half an inch either side as it is lifted in/out with the engine at an angle, the rear section going in first and then the engine pivoting into place. The bifurcated duct assembly is then attached in situ.

Newforest2
27th Feb 2014, 07:24
This thread might be a good opportunity to ask for any sightings or knowledge of the whereabouts of Seahawk G-SEAH/WM994/N994WM.

It was last seen, as far as we know, heading east on the I-94 in Wisconsin. Presumably it would have turned right in Milwaukee so could be anywhere in the eastern US!

sandiego89
27th Feb 2014, 12:16
Thank you Lee and all. Yes it looks like a real knuckle scraper to get to. I appreciate it.

nazca_steve
27th Feb 2014, 16:56
If it helps, I have a massive Sea Hawk technical and maintenance manual that I can send you the relevant pages on engine change.

Ref the G-SEAH, I contacted the last known owners of it (possibly Minnesota somewhere, it was a few years ago so I forget) but did not have much joy. I always wondered where it went...if I had the cash and space I would have loved to have bought it!

Steve

sandiego89
27th Feb 2014, 19:47
Thank you for your offer Steve, but question answered for now. From looking at a cutaway drawing of the aircraft the whole installation looks to be a ducting and plumbing nightmare.

I guess your manual is good for some light reading :ok:

nazca_steve
27th Feb 2014, 20:09
Light reading indeed! I'm building a Sea Hawk for Microsoft FSX (supposed to be at least) so the manual comes in handy for reference. I believe it's only one of several volumes too!

Well, glad you got your question answered. The bifurcated nature of the jet pipes from the engine indeed would make it a plumbing nightmare! The rest of it does not look that significantly worse than many other Cold War jets of its time. Then again, I am no expert on the matter.

But back to G-SEAH, if anyone ever does hear of it, I'd love to know where she got to.