PDA

View Full Version : Blocking e-mail messages

FJJP
16th May 2002, 14:35
Sometimes when I want to block spam messages the system will not allow me to do so - the 'block message' facility is greyed out. Do senders have the ability to stop you doing this, or am I doing something wrong?

Be grateful for some expert advice.

FL310
16th May 2002, 14:41
in which program do you select what????

Carpet Rodent
16th May 2002, 18:19
Hmmm. Please can you provide some details as to what program/s you're using to send/recieve mail and how you connect to your ISP? There's more than one way to achieve this, all of it dependent on type of program, operating system, method of connection etc.

I use Linux 6.2 and have no problem blocking spam on the domain this runs on, but I suspect you're on Windows in one form or another.... It can still be done, but more info please.

FJJP
17th May 2002, 09:14
Using Win 2000, IE6, OE6. I can use 'create rule from message' on my BT e-mails but not for Hotmail. It really is an irritation that I seem to have such little control over Hotmail.

Be grateful for any ideas...

Thanks guys.

fobotcso
18th May 2002, 10:22
You can try configuring your Hotmail account Bulk Mail filter but the senders keep coming up with work-around solutions to enable them to get their miserable offerings through.

Recent viurses that have proliferated my previously quiet e-mail addresses around the world have resulted in an enormous increase of Spam. Filters and Rules are the only defence so far - Oh, and the "Delete" key.

While we're at it, on another thread I've been discussing how to rebuild or clone an OE set-up. It's quite straightforward until you get to wanting to copy across the Rules you have created. Rules are specific to an Identity, not an Account.

Anyone got any idea how to copy over the Rules (I've got about 20 in my Main Identity!) to a new set-up?

And how about that new scourge, a Spam e-mail that, when you highlight it in the folder contents, immediately goes on-line and tries to log you onto a Web Site of the sender's choice? Any Defence against that? Important for anyone who isn't on unlimited time; and anyway it's really irritating!

FJJP
21st May 2002, 06:56
Fobotcso - I get the same thing. However, Norton Personal Firewall has a privacy thing, 'internet access control', and you get a window advising that someone is trying to connect - it then gives you the option of allowing or blocking the connection.

Julian
21st May 2002, 07:32
How do you block mail on MS Outlook as use that at work?

The does not seem to be a filter for blocking, can only seem to change the colour of certain types of message.

Julian.

BOAC
21st May 2002, 09:10
<And how about that new scourge, a Spam e-mail that, when you highlight it in the folder contents, immediately goes on-line and tries to log you onto a Web Site of the sender's choice? Any Defence against that? Important for anyone who isn't on unlimited time; and anyway it's really irritating!>

fobotsco-was helping a friend 'dump' hotmail at the weekend and they had a similar email. Does this one that you have seen present as html?

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
21st May 2002, 12:53
Fobotcso,

---8<-----
And how about that new scourge, a Spam e-mail that, when you highlight it in the folder contents, immediately goes on-line and tries to log you onto a Web Site of the sender's choice? Any Defence against that? Important for anyone who isn't on unlimited time; and anyway it's really irritating!
---8<-----

Sounds like you might not have all the M$ security patches installed, some of which prevent this kind of "auto-activation". You don't say which version of LookOut/IE you are using, but try checking out:-

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/outlook/default.asp

http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/9798/Out98sec.aspx

The latter page has links for Office/LookOut 2000/XP

HTH,

fobotcso
21st May 2002, 14:27
Thanks all for joining in with ideas about my "scourge".

I run W2K fully upgraded and Service Patched. I'm on IE/OE 5.5 with SP2 which was a security Service Patch (and includes 128-bit encryption - but that's not a factor here).

I tried going up to IE/OE 6 but found that McAfee's WebScanx.exe wouldn't start and therefore I wasn't protected from e-mails and downloads. So, back to 5.5

Yes, the offending e-mails (and they're increasing in number and are often quite legit) do contain some HTML embedded.

I browsed my MS TechNet resources and found the following somewhat unhelpful document (Q257824) with the advice:

"RESOLUTION
==========

This behavior is by design when the graphic is not included with the e-mail message nor available locally to the computer on which you are viewing the message.

WORKAROUND
==========

To prevent this behavior, choose to work offline in Outlook Express, or delete the message."