PDA

View Full Version : Pay

semirigid rotor
16th May 2002, 13:40
Just out of interest, those in the rotary world may want to know just what the pay is, on the North Sea.

For a first year Captain we are looking at a liitle over £50k, this year with another £10k added on next year. Remember there are no direct entry Captains on the North Sea, a couple of winters and if a slot becomes available your are in. The demographics of retirements is making the promotion ladder move again after a long period of "dead mans shoes"

Added to that a roster that is reasonably stable, plenty of holidays, private health care, good pension scheme and this all adds up to a good standard of living - much has changed in the last couple of years. :)

Percycat
18th May 2002, 07:36
SR

Few questions:

1. What would a co-pilot earn during the 'first couple of winters'?
2. Do ex-mil pilots jump the captaincy ladder due to experience?
3. What is a typical rota/working patttern?
4. What are typical hours for a month?
5. What are typical house prices at Aberdeen?

6. What are the nearby golf courses like?

Percy

semirigid rotor
18th May 2002, 12:27
Percycat, to answer your questions in order,

1) About 32 to 37K

2) No fast track to captain for ex mil, but you may start off higher up the first officer ladder depending on experience, etc.

3) Rosters vary according to base, but generally 4 on 3 off

4) In Aberdeen 800 hours a year, in the southern bases 600 hours a year

5) I have lost touch with prices in Aberdeen, but remember the North Sea is not just Aberdeen, there are bases as far south as North Denes in Norfolk. Online companies like easybuyproperties.com will give you an idea about house prices.

6) Golf courses? Apologies, but that is my idea of spoiling a good walk!

I hope that helps,

Semi

high spirits
18th May 2002, 12:34
SRR
Who is the company running the show ? What are the med/pension benefits compared to the military?

Hummingfrog
19th May 2002, 15:11
All is not as rosy as Semirigid infers. See Rotorheads for news that Scotia has identified 25 surplus pilot posts which will hopefully disappear with retirements. Pension is now money purchase with all the risks that have been promulgated in the press. No bank holidays off unless you use leave or are lucky with the roster. Work every Xmas or New Year. Summer leave is on a bidding system so some years you'll get it others not. So if you enjoy flying in straight lines, in a rubber suit, watching the DME click over for 2 hrs then come on up but its last in first out!!!

HF:eek:

semirigid rotor
20th May 2002, 12:59
Let me put my post in context. It was just to give an idea to anybody comming out what is being paid in the civil world. But o clear up a few points from Hummingbird, yes there will be some early retirements at Scotia, but in a company with 200 pilots. This companies management does have a history of never getting the workforce numbers right, and I bet before long they will be recruiting again.

As for the other points, civil aviation is 24/7. All companies, from the smallest charter operator to the airlines work bank holidays, Christmas etc. Scotia work a points system for leave, which is a fairer system than some companies working on seniority. I do not know of any company now offering final salary pensions to new recruits. So, unless you have one already; you are not going to see one. As for the flying, I say again the North Sea is not all Aberdeen. The southern bases fly much shorter sectors, often 25 30 t/o's & ldg's before being back onshore. We land on boats, carry USL's of all types - like anything the job is what you make of it. :)

Jeep
20th May 2002, 23:20
What sort of bloke are they after? Licence? Twin engine time? Where are the interviews? What is the number to ring? Where does one send a CV?

Asking for a mate, he is just curious.

semirigid rotor
22nd May 2002, 15:03
You will require a CPL (H), they will put you through the I/R, if you are under age 40. If over, then you may have to do some convincing that you will stay with the company longer than the standard bond and that you have enough experience to pass the test without extended training.

But it is always worth writing.

Chief Pilot
Scotia Helicopter Services Ltd
Aberdeen Airport East
Dyce
Aberdeen - sorry I have forgot the post code, but it should get there!:)

Hummingfrog
24th May 2002, 13:21
Scotia are moving to the West Side of the airfield wef 1 Jun so East side address has gone.
Try
Operations Manager
CHC House
Howe Moss Drive
Kirkill Ind Estate
Dyce
Aberdeen
AB21 0GL
I don't think, however, that there is much point at the moment as Scotia is looking at making 25 pilot positions reduntant.
HF
:confused: