PDA

View Full Version : Repair job?

MrSnuggles
23rd Feb 2014, 16:46
Mods, I have pondered about where to place this, feel free to move around.

I just came across this picture on the web... and I really wonder what they might have tried to accomplish with this...

100 Mile An Hour Tape Makes Its Terrifying Cameo - Cheezburger (http://cheezburger.com/3636137472)

I have thought of a number of possibilities but none that seems legit.

KBPsen
23rd Feb 2014, 16:54
It is a temporary repair and it's perfectly acceptable, despite what you are trying to suggest.

grounded27
23rd Feb 2014, 17:03
As long as that sort of application is backed up by an engineering authorization to defer there is no problem with this.

NutLoose
23rd Feb 2014, 18:11
Thats a mere amateur job, here's a proffessional one :E

Bear Attacks Plane, Pilot Fixes Plane With Duct Tape, Pilot Flies Duct-Taped Plane Home (http://gizmodo.com/5447738/bear-attacks-plane-pilot-fixes-plane-with-duct-tape-pilot-flies-duct+taped-plane-home)

Tom Sawyer
23rd Feb 2014, 20:26
No big deal....carried out that temp fix a few times on A340's. The metallic rub strip has been known to de-bond and the application of speedtape is an approved temp repair in the AMM / SRM, or maybe it was by an Engineering Order. Replacing the rub strip is by vacuum bond, so not some 10 min job that can be done on a transit on the line, so deferred until A Check.

MrSnuggles
23rd Feb 2014, 23:01
despite what you are trying to suggest

Ehm, I'm not trying to suggest anything, that's why I'm asking. I do realize that if an engineer signed off this, all is well. I am not stupid, sorry.

But what is there to repair in this location? Ground debris that swirled onto the wing? A bird strike from above? Hail? Doesn't seem plausible.

Fatigue cracks I am familiar with, but this is an unusual place for fatigue cracks and some tape won't fix that either.

Did someone step on the wing and nick it? Fuel truck or other ground personnel? Flaps are up when at the gate... so not likely. Or have I missed something?

Metallic rub strip does ring a bell, but I didn't expect it to be in that location.

Please bear with me - I'm not at the front of engineering, I just provide you guys with the materials of which planes are made.

Tinwacker
24th Feb 2014, 00:26
Failblog
There I fixed it:
Funny bad repairs by a Cheez Burger.......

Nothing funny about that except the site you seems to trawl MrS

The area has been cleaned, as seen in the photograph so the approved aluminium high speed tape can firmly adhere.
The tape has been well rubbed down to ensure a smooth and best aerodynamic profile on the flap.
For the majority of the flight most of this flap temporary repair will be out of the airflow, shielded by the spoilers and upper wing trailing edge extensions.
Correctly signed off by a reference from the SRM/AMM, Maintenance Concession or Engineering Order depending upon your company choice and given a time limitation to repair with repeat inspections.

The most likely reason for this repair will be the flap chafing against a spoiler panel or wing extention rib or similar.
If there is a damaged rub strip the tape will prevent any further lifting, abrasion or possible ingress of moisture to the lower honercomb section that could further cause delamination.:

Just keep polishing the tape and be good for years.....:ok:

TW

MrSnuggles
7th Mar 2014, 00:31
Hi TinWhacker and thanks for your reply!

Yes, the Internet is filled with weird stuff, right? LOL!

Actually, that was sent to me from a nervous friend who seemed to think they duct-tape airplanes together and since I couldn't explain EXACTLY what it was, I decided to try here.... of course my innate curiosity played a part, too. I didn't remember the metallic rub strip chafing.

Thanks to you who helped me out! Very grateful over here!

Tinwacker
12th Mar 2014, 15:08
OK Mr.Snuggles,
Plenty to think of and keep on learning as I still do.
I have just watched the COMET investigation and how 1950's technology and scientists further helped the aviation world...metal fatigue and rivet hole clearances...

Too much for any aluminium high speed tape then...

TW