PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone usage aboard.

SpringHeeledJack
23rd Feb 2014, 11:11
This old nugget rears it's head again…..:* I was on 2 flights in the last week and witnessed problems with passengers ignoring lawful requests from both cabin crew and flight deck. First one was a simple standard request for all on board to switch off all electronic devices for taxy/takeoff. One passenger ignored this continuing to text/facebook/whatever, it was spotted by CC and they momentarily complied, but then whipped out their phone once they felt safe. This happened 3 more times, even after the captain announced that ALL phones were to be switched off. The offender only turned off said phone as the engines spooled up to begin the takeoff……I was 5 seats away across the aisle and did the typical thing of doing nothing, but simply because I felt that I had no right to do anything. However, It makes me wonder why there isn't a hardcore policy with zero tolerance if there are safety concerns which are debated.

Second incident, having landed yesterday, once clear of the runway someone 2 rows behind started talking very loudly into their phone until we came to the gate but strangely stopped once the aircraft did so :rolleyes: Why do certain people feel this is ok and perhaps more interestingly why is this tolerated by airlines and their employees if there are good reasons not to allow such behaviour ?

SHJ

PAXboy
23rd Feb 2014, 11:54
We will never know why they think this way. The only point, I suggest, is how are they made to comply?

One Outsider
23rd Feb 2014, 13:04
Why do certain people feel this is okBecause they are selfish pricks who believe it is their right to do whatever they want and it is their right never to experience adversity in life.
I felt that I had no right to do anythingPoor excuse, and it is just an excuse. You saw something that was wrong, you knew it was wrong but didn't have the fortitude to do what was right. Instead you rationalize your way out of it.
You have every right to speak up when you see something wrong, in fact you have an obligation to do so. You failed miserably.

SpringHeeledJack
23rd Feb 2014, 13:22
You have every right to speak up when you see something wrong, in fact you have an obligation to do so.

I would agree if it were a transgression of magnitude, e.g someone being violent/lighting a fire/attempting to hijack or some such, but a texting/talking phone user that appears to be tolerated by the responsible company employees, I cannot agree with your feelings of obligation. These days any unusual request/demand is more often met with a zero tolerance and a threat by CC of real consequences if one doesn't pipe down quickly as to deter one from doing much outside sit/eat/pee during the flight.

Remember mr outsider, to fail one has to try in the first instance and I and the other passengers didn't try. In fact, most didn't seem to care less.

SHJ

One Outsider
23rd Feb 2014, 13:35
More excuses and rationalizations, and seeking shelter in the herd.

GrahamO
23rd Feb 2014, 13:52
Second incident, having landed yesterday, once clear of the runway someone 2 rows behind started talking very loudly into their phone

Depending upon the airline, this is of course allowable. Emirates announcement says that 'now we have cleared the runway, you may use your phones' and many do.

ExXB
23rd Feb 2014, 13:54
Well I certainly can't condone the second example, however loudmouths are usually loudmouths regardless of if they have a device in their hand, or not. However don't some airlines (BA I think) now allow telephone use once the aircraft has left the runway?

For the first, do we actually know he was connected to a telephone network? Or was he just playing a game, or some other activity that doesn't require a network?

AFAIK many aviation authorities now allow airlines to let their passengers use their electronics gate-to-gate however not all airlines have decided to allow it.

So, again, we have a situation that is perfectly OK on DL, for example, but not on the airline SHJ was flying on. Yes I know that passengers must follow the instructions of the crew, it is the law. But why do we still have two different standards. Those airlines that have decided not to allow gate-to-gate should include in their briefing more that just a request to turn things off. They should clearly state that use is NOT permitted on their airline until …

And can someone please tell me why I am not allowed to check my voice-mails inflight? How does this disturb you?

thing
23rd Feb 2014, 13:54

I bet you're a barrel of laughs on a night out with the boys.

ExXB
23rd Feb 2014, 13:58
Found it … (Effective 1 July 2013) British Airways Relaxes Mobile Phone Usage Policy (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/British-Airways-Phone-Rules-Electronics-New-Policy,23287.html)

"Makes calling ahead for your lift a bit easier.

A couple of months back, Virgin Atlantic started offering cell service to travelers on its new A330 Airbus flying between London and New York. Now British Airways is embracing cell phone lovers by relaxing its policy on cell phone use inside its planes.

British Airways passengers will now be allowed to use their phones as soon as the plane has left the runway. BA claims it is the first European airlines to let customers switch on their phones while the plane is still moving. Previously, passengers had to wait until the aircraft had come to a complete stop and the doors were open. The change doesn't just apply to cell phones, by the way. BA customers can now use iPads, Kindles, eReaders and mobile phones before the seatbelt light is even turned off.

Late last year, BA announced changes that meant customers on long-haul flights were allowed to watch in-flight entertainment from the moment they board the aircraft to the time it arrives at its destination. The change came into play on December 1, 2012, and affords passengers an extra hour of inflight entertainment.

BA's new policy on the use of electronics will come into play on July 1."

So he is still a loudmouth, but he isn't breaking rules if he's on BA.

jackieofalltrades
23rd Feb 2014, 16:29
Because they are selfish pricks who believe it is their right to do whatever they want and it is their right never to experience adversity in life.

And this is the root of the problem. The airlines need to get tougher with a zero tolerance. Offloading the offender, or having plod meet and greet them at the destination. Once this starts happening the deterrent will soon be enough to stop the morons from disregarding their obligations.

7of9
23rd Feb 2014, 17:17
About 7 years ago, I was on an internal USA flight from St Louis to Chicago.
I was sat at the back in the last seat, isle, next to the flight attendants who were sat behind me.
Just before pushback, announcement to turn all electronic devices off.

Old guy next to me chose to ignore the instruction, then he put his head between his legs,then proceeded to dial out on his cell phone! Then talks quietly hoping not to be heard by the flight attendants.

I reached behind me to catch the flight attendants attention, to which he(the flight attendant) unstrapped himself, as we were taxiing to the hold by the runway, he then told the passenger next to me to turn off his device twice after being ignored! The passenger did so after the third request after the flight attendant threatened to ask the captain to turn back to the gate to remove him!
The guys wife was sat two rows in front of us, she told her husband off but wanted to know if he had got in contact with whoever they were trying to!

The flight attendant, discreetly thanked me as the guy didn't know it was me who bought it to the flight attendants attention.

When the beverages came down the aircraft, the flight attendant gave me two free beers which cost $5.00 each as a thank you.

As we were coming into land the guy got his phone out & switched it on again to make a call, doesn't learn from before! Again I alerted the flight attendant who took his phone off him, I heard him talking to the captain via intercom as we taxied in.

Needless to say the police were waiting for him at the gate!

Very sorry but if you are told to do something, you do it!

I won't hesitate to grass someone up if I see them not complying with what they are told! Arrogant idiots as far as I am concerned!

PAXboy
23rd Feb 2014, 18:23
First the carriers did not want to tell the Pax truth about cabin baggage - because they are afraid of losing some of the idiots.

Now the carriers do not want to tell the Pax truth about electronics - because the are afraid of losing some of the idiots.

With any luck, a carrier will start telling the truth to Pax - and advertise it and DO IT and advertise their zero tolerance. Interesting marketing opportunity.

But they won't - because the shareholders must be appeased. Right up to the moment when something really nasty happens because of the idiots ...

John Hill
23rd Feb 2014, 18:37
The airline should invest in cell phone jammers!

One Outsider
23rd Feb 2014, 18:44
Paxboy, do spare us for your homespun incessant nonsense. It is getting really tedious to listen to.

SpringHeeledJack
23rd Feb 2014, 19:22
Found it … (Effective 1 July 2013) British Airways Relaxes Mobile Phone Usage Policy

I wasn't aware that that was the case, perhaps it was the case with the airline that I used ? If it was, they certainly didn't advertise this and/or mention it in the pre-flight announcement. Personally I would prefer if there was a total ban on all mobile devices until the cruise and only then if there was wifi onboard as is the case with Norwegian throughout their fleet as an example. It certainly shouldn't be for the individual to interpret what are the rules, as most who do are of the variety that grate.

Mr outsider, you seem to have very high standards of behaviour, I only hope that you live up to them yourself :hmm: Perhaps the pprune adage of 'play the ball, not the man' would be worth mentioning ?

SHJ

Shack37
23rd Feb 2014, 21:51
Posted by One Outsider (appropriate name btw)

What do you do with the hand not holding the mobile when on board?

Jonno_aus
24th Feb 2014, 06:26
People no longer care. The same ones who un-buckle and jump up to retrieve their carry on while the aircraft is still taxing. Unless airlines can fine pax for talking on phones or getting out of their seat prematurely, this will continue to happen.

PAXboy
24th Feb 2014, 09:01
Hi Jonno_aus, welcome aboard the PPRuNe machine. We're a mixed lot in this cabin as we're all mixed in - no spearate cabins here. ;)

I agree with your comment.

ExXB
24th Feb 2014, 10:43
It shouldn't difficult. Either allow it or disallow it, but everybody should follow the same rules.

… and I still would like to be able to check my voice-mail, text or even talk on my phone while onboard. No, I don't shout on my phone. I speak at the same level as when talking to friends and colleagues. But some airlines allow some of all of the above, and others don't

But rarely is it the device, it's the person. On a recent overnight trip the three guys in the seats behind us talked for the entire flight. Mostly at a normal volume, sometimes a bit loud. It did disturb my peace, but I didn't think my right to quiet overruled their right to converse. I had forgotten my earplugs (good ones, not the ones the airlines give out). There are solutions.

Hotel Tango
24th Feb 2014, 11:18
Others using a mobile doesn't bother me as long as they don't make me party to their conversation. What I detest at airports, and would on aircraft, are the inconsiderate self-important imbeciles who think the entire airport/aircraft need to hear their boring (one-sided) conversation!

Mark in CA
25th Feb 2014, 08:49
>The airline should invest in cell phone jammers!

I think that cure is worse than the disease, as such a jammer is nothing more than a cell phone radio turned up to even greater power in order to overwhelm all "legitimate" signals in the area. If the intention of the call phone ban is to reduce spurious RF, then this would only make matters worse.

cavortingcheetah
25th Feb 2014, 09:17
Surely if you must needs rely on a mobile telephone for your business dealings it signifies that you are, in reality, not very important. Those who are rather more important and have no need for a handy themselves have the ability and authority to delegate responsibility to those whom they employ and who in turn use their mobile telephones to serve their employer.

Davef68
25th Feb 2014, 09:25
… and I still would like to be able to check my voice-mail, text or even talk on my phone while onboard. No, I don't shout on my phone. I speak at the same level as when talking to friends and colleagues. But some airlines allow some of all of the above, and others don't

I'm not technical, but I believe the issue relates to RF energy. Without onboard cellphone transponder systems cell phones will try and locate the nearest cell and will ramp up their signal/energy to try and locate the it. If you imagine, flying at 400mph, you are going through cells farily quickly so the phone will be trying to find and locate a cell frequently. Now multiply that by 150x for each passeneger and that's a whole lot of RF energy.

Now the issue isn't so much that it's proven to interfere with aircraft signals, but that it hasn't been proven not to. Electromagnetic compatibility is a funny beast. That's why you can only use a phone on those aircraft with fitted systems.

Small, non-communications devices such as ipods, kindles etc generate much smaller RF energy signals.

That and the fact that whilst you (and I) might be quiet, you can guarantee others won't be. Also, in normal conversation you have speak and pause - with mobiles you could have 100 people talking at once. you imagine the noise of 100.

That and the fact that I'm not so important that I can't be off the grid for an hour!

cavortingcheetah
25th Feb 2014, 09:46
On the kit I used to fly you could tell by the galloping horses in the headsets when there was a mobile telephone turned on somewhere nearby.
But then, as the Captain, one was important enough so that one had to off the grid for a while.

ExXB
25th Feb 2014, 10:22
I'm not technical

Nor am I, but I know this. The decision that 1) electronic devices in (if appropriate) flight mode are no longer considered dangerous has been made. Both the US and EU have decided that such use, in flight mode, is OK gate-to-gate. The problem is that not all airlines have adopted this wise decision and now do something different than regulators have approved. Leads to confusion, misunderstandings, etc. etc. However the debate about if it is safe to use electronics is over.

Regulators have also approved 2) the use of Wifi/GSM connections between the aircraft and passengers electronic devices. This is not gate-to-gate, this is 'at cruise', and the airline's device is turned off in climb/descent. This allows access to the internet and, for some airlines, the ability to connect to ground telephone networks. Phones are not ramping up power trying to connect to ground cells as they connect easily to the aircraft's network. There is also a physical limit to the number of cells that can connect at one time and, of course, the crew can deactivate the network at any time. (Ooops, technical problem - I'll get the engineer to look at it.)

Loudmouths will be loudmouths regardless of what they have in their hands. Bans are not going to change their behaviour or their volume.

I don't want to use my phone in-flight because I think I am important. Since I have become self-employed I know I am not important. But having use of my business tools makes it easier for me to make a living. There are, for examples, windows of opportunity that I could miss if I'm not able to connect at a certain time. Why deny me these tools as long as I don't bother you.

But it appears there is still a choice. If you don't like cell phone use on your flights, fly on another airline. Remember, it is expensive for the phones to be used - meaning you are a lot less likely to get 'Honey, I'm on the plane' noises at altitude. Of course this doesn't apply once the aircraft has turned off the runway and the loudmouth has connected to his terrestrial network.

Heathrow Harry
25th Feb 2014, 12:23
"What I detest at airports, and would on aircraft, are the inconsiderate self-important imbeciles who think the entire airport/aircraft need to hear their boring (one-sided) conversation!"

absolutely - I find on trains taking out a notebook and visibly jotting down the conversation - and asking them to repeat the critical bits - works wonders...............

Davef68
25th Feb 2014, 15:51
ExXB,

There's actually not much I disagree with that you say - note I mentioned 'Without onboard cellphone transponder systems", by which I was referring to the "2) the use of Wifi/GSM connections between the aircraft and passengers electronic devices." that you mention. Told you I wasn't technical!

I agree re the inconsistent approach - I had previously posted asking when the CAA/EU were going to allow the use of non-receiving/transmitting devices, without realising it was already in effect - just not on the airlines I'd travelled with since then!

The 'important' line was a depreciating gag at myself. I'm actually surprised that the carriers haven't implemented the onboard systema s they could make a tidy sum with the premium rates charged.

Bill4a
28th Feb 2014, 23:04
Several years ago I was flying BA to Izmir when the captain announced "Will the person using a mobile phone please turn it off or I will put your conversation on the PA!" :cool:
Seemed to work!

PAXboy
28th Feb 2014, 23:52
A new trend is for lazy $hits to put the call on the phones speaker and then hold the phone in front of them, as if they were at home. I passed one in the street today and you can now hear BOTH sides of the conversation.

I've also seen them doing this whilst driving cars. :hmm:

Capot
1st Mar 2014, 17:26
Here's a good read...

Use of Portable Electronic Devices During Commercial Air
Transport Aircraft Operation (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/InformationNotice2014022.pdf)

Enjoy....it's only a month old, but some may have missed it.

ExXB
3rd Mar 2014, 07:03
Flew Squeezy-UK last night into GVA. They still do not allow PEDs gate-to-gate. In fact we were over 20 mins out when they told everyone to turn-off.

I was intrigued by the announcement they made just before opening the door. Something like 'airport regulations prohibit the use of mobile telephones until you are in the terminal building'. Really? I have never heard of such regulation and I doubt if airports would be allowed to regulate something like this.

And it does seem to be at odds with those airlines mentioned above that allow telephones to be used on the taxiways.

Is there really such a Regulation?

Davef68
3rd Mar 2014, 12:20
I do wonder, they use the same anouncement at every airport AFAIK, including ones where I've heard other airlines say 'not until doors open/after closed' etc

The cynic might think it's to avoid any slow down in turn around times due to people talking on the phone and not getting off quickly enough.....

ExXB
3rd Mar 2014, 13:03
You know, if it's their policy they should say "In order to speed our turn around we would appreciate if you would …".

It doesn't look good if they just make up regulations … (and blame somebody else for the stupid ones)

Hotel Tango
3rd Mar 2014, 16:04
The problem lies when the CC actually believe some of the announcements they are instructed to make.

ExXB
6th Mar 2014, 10:40
I responded to U2's request for comments and included my view that no airport could or would regulate mobile phones. I received this in reply:

I regret any inconvenience caused due to this announcement.

I have immediately escalated this to our airport team to get a clarification on the announcement. Please allow us sometime to check our details and we will get back to you.

We look forward to your continuing association with us.

I'll withhold my scepticism for some time. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

fa2fi
7th Mar 2014, 05:51
I'm no longer crew but PEDa would cause so much grief.

My personal favourites were people who turn their decides face down when asked to turn them off (no that doesn't turn them off!) or those who argue that kindles are not electronic (well they don't run off of fairy dust do they?).

I used to incorporate switch off procedures for iDevices, Android and Kindles into PAs just to reduce the time taking to secure.

I'm glad I'm out if it now because I just know polite requests will be met with "well British Airways let you".

EXXB - it's when walking across the apron that it is prohibited to use mobile phones as the aircraft or the aircraft next door may be being fuelled in the same way petrol stations advise against the use of mobile phones. That PA was part of the disembarkation PA when I worked there so it's been out there for a good while.

As for being 20mins out I remember when I worked at EZ cabin secure ten minutes was the norm however in some places it would be sooner as pilots need to anticipate the likelihood of a shortcut and GVA can give quite a large shortcut, so cabin is secured in anticipation of this. But having prepared for the shortcut you're often sent downwind and it takes a while to get on the ground. Safety and getting the cabin co secure on time is the priority there. Milan was another one.

I do like gate-to-gate PEDs. I used BA the other day and it was great. I cannot wait for it to become more widespread.

DaveReidUK
7th Mar 2014, 06:59
it's when walking across the apron that it is prohibited to use mobile phones as the aircraft or the aircraft next door may be being fuelled in the same way petrol stations advise against the use of mobile phonessnopes.com: Cell Phone Use at Gas Pump (http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp)

fa2fi
7th Mar 2014, 07:23
There must be some reason. I've seen people been asked to switched off phones whilst going out to the aircraft so it is policed by non airline employees working inside of the airport so it is policed somewhat.

Other than the fire risk there is also the potential safety hazards associated with an apron and talking or texting on a phone could perhaps reduce a persons situational awareness. I'd be interested to know why. I'd out money on it NOT being to do with speeding up turnaround times.

I can't imagine them making it up. If it was policy in order to speed up turnaround times then they would tell customers in the same way that they used to explain how it was the crews responsibility to clean the aircraft and there is a short turnaround so please put all rubbish in the bags provided.

EZY allow PEDS onboard when ever the doors are open. So if people were going to waste time it would be rummaging through their bags finding said devices and switching them on. It is only the portion of walking on the apron to the terminal where they are not permitted.

Davef68
7th Mar 2014, 22:44
The fire risk is a theoretical one; It's been around since mobile phones became common (I recall it being discussed as a hazard when Petroleum Legislation enforcement was part of my job in the early 90s). Another reason for not using them in petrol stations is that the RF may interfere with pump systems, including the totalisers (as they were not intitally tested for that sort of EMC) - I beleive that has been demonstrated, although no-one will admit it!

fa2fi
8th Mar 2014, 05:57
Theoretical nonetheless however I'm sure the airlports would rather not leave it to chance. No different to the risk of mobile phones bringing a plane down. Things are changing now but again in sure people would ether not take the risk.

Does anyone know of any other airline where this is policy? Or supposed to be policy? At my local airport they say it during boarding at the gate and absolutely enforce it. I saw a Canadian guy go to use his phone during the walk to the aircraft and he looked surprised when asked to put down the phone. When I flew BA last week it was boarded vi an air bridge on both ends so no such message was conveyed.

I can't believe it's just EJ though?

Having worked there, and told people this for too long, I now find myself wondering if I'm going to be told off for having my phone on during the walk out to the plane as I use the app for boarding! So for nothing has been said so it must just be for making calls.

Davef68
18th Mar 2014, 13:31
This morning EZY EDI to Stansted, delayed due to a late arriving (or standby) flight crew member. Pilot announces delay (To surprisingly muted response) and says feel free to use your mobile devices to let people know you are going to be late, I'll bet when I go back, we'll get the usual 'Airport regulations don't permit until inside the terminal etc'

fa2fi
18th Mar 2014, 16:09
I assume that was because you were onboard the aircraft. Being onbiard and using PEDs are not the issue. It's walking to and from the aircraft that is the problem.

Abonae
19th Mar 2014, 12:07
Really hard to believe that it's walking to and from the plane that's the problem for three reasons:
1. There seems to be no prohibition on using phones when boarding
2. Not all airlines insist on not using phones until inside the terminal building
3. Widespread use of phones by workers airside

Inconsistent "rules" like this tend to reduce compliance with all rules.

Davef68
20th Mar 2014, 00:56
I'd imagine it's the fire risk mentioned above, plus the fact that you are crossing an operational zone, so they want you to have your full wits about you and not be distracted talking on the phone.

fa2fi
20th Mar 2014, 18:52
Abonae it happens during boarding too. And at all of the bases I've worked at I honestly can't say that mobile phone use is common with ground crews.

notjustanotherpilot
23rd Mar 2014, 02:38
"I'd imagine it's the fire risk mentioned above"

With regard to that as has been mentioned previously, unproven. I think it is one of those "let's ban everything if we don't know any better" scenarios.
Have we seen the Mythbusters episode where as hard as they tried they were unable to cause an ignition from a mobile phone?
The RF emissions in themselves may cause interference to other gear but the RF shielding these days is better than it was so as to be of a decreasing to negligible factor (no doubt depending on the age of the aircraft and systems).

ExXB
23rd Mar 2014, 08:53
Flew Squeezy-UK last night into GVA. They still do not allow PEDs gate-to-gate. In fact we were over 20 mins out when they told everyone to turn-off.

I was intrigued by the announcement they made just before opening the door. Something like 'airport regulations prohibit the use of mobile telephones until you are in the terminal building'. Really? I have never heard of such regulation and I doubt if airports would be allowed to regulate something like this.

And it does seem to be at odds with those airlines mentioned above that allow telephones to be used on the taxiways.

Is there really such a Regulation?

Well, here is the reply I got from Squeezy: We have received a confirmation from the airport that due to security and regulations, the airport staff announced that all passengers need to switch off their mobile phones until they are inside the terminal building.

Note that on this particular flight the exit from the aircraft was via air bridge (as most DZ/U2 flights are at GVA) and did not involve walking on the ramp.

LadyL2013
23rd Mar 2014, 09:00
Whether it's OK or not I don't get what is so vitally important that you cannot wait 10 minutes more whilst the aircraft taxis to the gate to make a call.

I'll always remember a passenger who kept standing up during taxi to the gate and was asked several times to sit back down. Aircraft had to stop suddenly, he went flying face first into the seat across the aisle, leaving him with a rather nasty cut lip and lost tooth. No one needed to say anything, the shock any embarassment on his face said it all. Then we all had to wait whilst he was seen to....

chrisstiles
25th Mar 2014, 11:19
It's basically down to the death of civility everywhere - social conventions used to regulate such things - now unless we have draconian punishments people feel free to flout any rules.

fa2fi
25th Mar 2014, 11:35
At GVA some flights are remote and use busses. I remember back to when I was crew in some stations you'd get an air bridge and a few minutes later the rear doors would be opened for disembarkation via steps and other times it would open just so you can out the rubbish out. What I'm trying to say is you never know what's going to happen.

So if it were an air bridge then possibly they are saying it just in case as you are not necessarily informed of whether the rear door is to be opened or not and when you're saying bye to pax you won't know the rear door is opened necessarily as the indication panel is out of view.

It's probably just back covering just like how you're always asked to put your seat upright on every flight despite most EZY seats now being non-recline.

Anyway, we're talking about a 30 yard walk to the terminal. I'm sure it's not the end of the world if we need to put our phones down for the seconds that it takes to walk.

ExXB
25th Mar 2014, 12:22
fa2fi

Thanks and don't disagree with any of that, but

- Why don't they make the same announcement before boarding the aircraft/bus? I.e. On departure?
- Why don't other airlines make the same/similar announcement?
- how can BA, for example, allow use once off the runway when Squeezy requires you to hold off until after you are in the terminal? It's the same airport, isn't it?
- Why don't bus drivers make same/similar announcements?
- Do airports (and it's not just GVA) really have the authority to regulate telecommunications?

IMHO Squeezy makes these announcements for their own purposes but end up looking silly. Particularly in an era where their competitors are allowing PED use gate-to-gate.

And this isn't about "Can't I wait 10 minutes", as I can, and do it's about a business trying to avoid criticism by blaming somebody else. Just like those that blame Elf and Safety for just about anything.

What they should do is to say "Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to Geveva; blah, blah, blah; in order to speed the your exit, and for the convenience of other passengers, we ask that you wait until you are in the terminal building before turning your portable telephone on."

Oh, and why can't Squeezy hire CS people that can write in English?

fa2fi
25th Mar 2014, 13:12
I believe PEDs gate to gate will come to EZY in a few weeks time for all periods except during low visibility approaches.

Electronic devices may be used on easyJet on the ground currently when the door is open

In terms of the gate staff I have seen them ask people to stop their phone conversation whilst walking to the aircraft and that was on a UK domestic flight by non-easyJet employees. I don't think they would enforce this on just EZY pax.

As for Facebook it'll come down to cost I should imagine. In fairness to them they do allow you to post direct messages and post to their wall if you have a query and you get a quick response normally. A few airlines allow neither.

Edit: ok, I've found a reference (it's a dated manual but I assume it's still current). I can't post what it says however it's all in the semantics. Instead of the crew saying "prohibited" I think "restricted" would be more appropriate. I hope that makes sense! :-)

Additionally although fuel is loaded on he STBD side I know that the airbus classes the port wing (and an area defined around the wing by a few metres) as part of the "refuelling" zone. As EZY could potentially be boarding or disembarking during refuelling I'd imagine they and and the fuelling agent do not want mobile phones used as there is a potential for a fire hazard. I know for fact refuelling trucks have a No Phones sign on them so they must be perceived as a fire risk, otherwise why would they have the sign on the trucks?

Also see the following guidance from Airbus. See page 5. It states mobile phones be turned off as a precaution when refuelling with passengers onboard.

http://www.airbus.com/fileadmin/media_gallery/files/safety_library_items/AirbusSafetyLib_-FLT_OPS-GND_HAND-SEQ01.pdf

Rawtenstall
2nd Apr 2014, 18:07
At LCY, boarding a British Airways flight means walking over the tarmac. The gate staff always announce the requirement to turn off mobile phones before leaving the terminal building.

Now for those passengers who have downloaded their boarding passes onto their phones do they:

(a) switch off the phone, then switch it on again 10 seconds later at the door of the aircraft, and wait a couple of minutes for the phone to boot-up in order to show the electronic boarding pass to the cabin crew greeter, or

(b) ignore the request, to be able to show their electronic boarding pass to the cabin crew 10 seconds later?

There seems to be a disconnect between the need to turn off mobile phones and the need to show electronic boarding passes at the aircraft door.

SpringHeeledJack
2nd Apr 2014, 19:28
That's a good point, and as you point out not really joined up thinking regarding those needing to show an electronic boarding pass. I'd say that the main focus is to deter those who will continue to to talk on said phone between terminal and aircraft when the edict was thought of.

KBPsen
2nd Apr 2014, 21:13
Surely with so much apparent angst and hand wringing the screen on the phone will be cracked beyond making any possible boarding pass readable.

gurrala74
8th Apr 2014, 11:25
After reading so many views, I think the mobiles to be shut off during the flight take off and landing, but can be used during cruise within a flight mode where it disconnect any signals being transmitted. As present generation smart phones have videos,songs and other work related things in them so keeping them in a airplane mode is good enough:)

GrahamO
9th Apr 2014, 08:57
When I arrive at LHR or BHX on Emirates flights (which I do each month) and many many flights on Emirates, the announcement is always the same - 'we have now left the runway and its now safe to use your phones'.

I am guessing those that say differently simply have different lawyers.

llondel
11th Apr 2014, 01:45
Arriving on United at SFO last month, we were told it was OK to use phones once we'd cleared the runway and were taxiing. It was the first time I'd ever felt the need to do so, given that I had to let my lift know I'd arrived. Even then, due to traffic on 101, I got to the pick-up area outside the terminal first by 15 minutes or so.

Davef68
17th Apr 2014, 13:06
Easyjet have changed their policy yesterday - flew down to London on Tuesday, same all electronic devices must be switched off, phones off until in terminal.

Return trip home yesterday, handheld electronic devices ( in flightsafe mode if applicable) allowed to be used on landing/takeoff and on leaving runway informed that you can now use your phones/messaging devices.

ExXB
17th Apr 2014, 20:58
Flew GVA-BRS Wed. Recorded announcement in French retained directive to turn off PEDs, spoken briefing in English same same. But, having heard squeezy's announcement I left my iPad, in flight mode on and in my lap. Cabin crew certainly saw my device was on and said nothing as they did pre-take off checks.

I suppose they will get their stuff updated in due course but ...

I continue to be shocked that they can play the recorded French safety briefing without doing the demonstration, and then insist on full attention when they do it in English. Unprofessional and, IMHO, dangerous.

fa2fi
19th Apr 2014, 09:18
ExXB - it's EXACTLY the same on BA. I flew them CDG-LHR. Pre-recorded voice in French going through the safety demo in French, followed by a manual demo done in English only as half the screens were just showing crackles.

The safety demo has changed at easyJet, the audio announcements are being updated to reflect the PED policy. If the crew on your EZY flight was spoken and not the pre-recorded cheery chap then the would NOT have mentioned switching off the devices. I've flown EZY 3 times this week and it was the case and was speaking to my mates who are crew there.

Over six months after BA allowed PEDs their safety video still mentions switching them off, however the crew advise you to disregard this.

As part of the doors closing PA on EZy, the cabin crew would have advised that everything can be used in flight safe mode, however laptops need to be put away. Crews have been made aware of the change for weeks now and my mate who is a CM advised that this is mentioned at all preflight crew briefings.

The multi lingual safety demo will comply with all EASA regulations. If it does shock you, and you feel it is dangerous then I suggest you raise it with EASA or the CAA. However EZY operate to 34 countries. I cannot see a way for a manual demo to be done in all of these different languages. Like BA, a majority of EZY crew only speak English. I cannot see how it would be possible to improve the situation. I contest the fact that it is dangerous. After all what about he people who speak neither English nor the destination language? It's the same at Lufthansa.

I've flown them within mainland Europe and on their non LCD screen equipped machines their safety demo is foreign language audio only, followed by manual demo in German. Does that also shock you?