PDA

View Full Version : Crew Scheduling

Rail Engineer
23rd Feb 2014, 11:07
Hi,

Can anyone advise, please ?

I am asking this on behalf of a relative who is interested in changing career mid-life.

They are thinking of applying for a crew scheduling post with a charter airline which is for a fixed 12 month term. The advert seems to indicate that previous airline experience will not be a deciding factor. Person has dome similar in the railway industry.

Can anyone advise as to how realistic this is ? and also what should somebody read up on/prepare for in the event of an interview ?

Finally can anyone say how open the airline industry is to outside applicants for such roles.

I very much appreciate your advice.

Thank you

mad_jock
23rd Feb 2014, 11:41
its very realistic

Best crewing I have worked with all came from lorry company's

In fact the crewing that were always home grown were pretty bloody useless compared to folk with proven logistics track records.

It just resource allocation within a rule frame work.

And I don't know about others but personally if I saw a CV with similar from the railways I would be straight through to the CEO's office to show him and an interview would be on the cards pretty quick.

That skill set isn't something you can spot by academic qualifications, the person either has it or they don't. It seems to be very hard to train as well. You can get people up to a certain standard but then they top out. Some just hit that standard and then keep going sometimes in days far outstripping the so called instructor. They have a third sense when some stinker is lingering for a screw up day.

That's the reason why the airline are happy with no airline experience they want the brain that can juggle multiple variables and spot breaks in patterns sometimes weeks in advance and not go sick within a couple of months due to stress.

Good luck to your relative.