PDA

View Full Version : QANTAS CEO- the next one- what to do

Fantome
20th Feb 2014, 19:26
MEMO - attention board of Qantas.......consider appointing a CEO in whom you can see the potential within him to earn the trust and respect of the company's workforce. Give him , as an aide memoire, to read and digest, this list of imperatives that the one time president of Boeing, Bill Allen, drew up before he took over the reins at Boeing -

Must keep temper - always - never get mad.
Be considerate of my associates' views.
Don't talk too much - let others talk.
Don't be afraid to admit that you don't know.
Don't get immersed in detail - concentrate on the big objectives.
Make contacts with other people in industry - and keep them.
Make a sincere effort to understand labour's viewpoint.
Be definite; don't vacillate.
Act - get things done - move forward.
Try hard, but don't let obstacles get you down. Take things in your stride.
Above all else be human - keep your sense of humour - learn to relax.
Be just; straightforward; invite criticism and learn to take it.
Be confident. Having once made the move, make the most of it.
Bring to task great enthusiasm, unlimited energy.

('The Challenge' by Harold Mansfield , p.151)

howyoulikethat
20th Feb 2014, 23:18
You must of missed it,but the next one will be a lady!
Get your money down now,she is being groomed already!

Kiwiconehead
21st Feb 2014, 02:10
You must of missed it,but the next one will be a lady!

I'm a lady - YouTube (http://youtu.be/4THO9-N--k4)

Mstr Caution
21st Feb 2014, 04:15
Get your money down now,she is being groomed already!

If it's Olivia Wirth or Jayne Hrdlicka. Is the grooming happening at other than planet earth?

I can't recall the last time I heard from either one of them on company matters.

Oh, hold on.

I did hear from Jayne Hrdlicka in 2013, she said JQ HKG would be flying by the end of 2013.

Qantas 787
21st Feb 2014, 04:35
Jayne Hrdlicka............please, if she is seriously being considered, we are all in deep trouble.

AEROMEDIC
21st Feb 2014, 06:17
If it is Hrdlicka, and I seriously doubt it, she would have to restate her commitment to the job as being 24/7, and not "being back in time to pick up the kids from school".
Admirable as it is, it is not the commitment of a FULL TIME CEO of any company. Delegating the responsibilities of a CEO to others is NOT an acceptable practice as head of the group. She may get away with it at Jetstar, and sanctioned by Joyce, but not Qantas.
Remember that it was the condition she demanded before she accepted to head up Jetstar.

Really, it would have to be someone else, but Joyce won't go easily, if at all.

Fantome
21st Feb 2014, 14:00
aahhhhh .. .. . . . dear conical .... . what an absolute ball-tearer
of a sketch that is. Those three pulled it off exquisitely . The attendant had to be absolutely deadpan, which he played to perfection . (Yep.. ... did miss it . . so many many thanks to you, whether you be yourself a lady. . . a lady's man . . . . a man . . . . or something else altogether. . . )

Never come across the genuine trannie, in real life. It could be rather daunting to be in the firing line. In early Barry Humphries shows, like 'A Nice Night's Entertainment', 'A Load of Old Rubbish' and 'At Least you can say you're Seen It', it was part of his ritual to embarrass some unsuspecting target in the front row of the theatre.

Qantas 787
21st Feb 2014, 17:33
The next CEO really shouldn't be an internal candidate anyway - anyone internal have been the ones making the decisions that have resulted in the airline being in the position it is currently facing.

What sort of message would that send? Sack all the workers who didn't contribute to the company loss but promote someone who was responsible for it?

captainrats
21st Feb 2014, 22:58
I would hope its a Fleet Manager's secretary.If its not please oh please not that vacuous twit Grant

BNEA320
21st Feb 2014, 23:04
you guys must be talking about Qantas Domestic.

There will be no Qantas International soon.

We give Qantas Int 2 years tops.

Fool Sufferer
21st Feb 2014, 23:45
The royal "we" now is it?

Believing in your own little misguided and rancorous soothsaying must be getting you seriously tumescent.

BNEA320
22nd Feb 2014, 01:44
quite a few others here r saying 12 months

cart_elevator
22nd Feb 2014, 03:17
Interesting though ... Hrdlicka accompanied Joyce on his last big trip to Dubai to meet with the EK senior executives. Certainly no reason why a Jetstar CEO would be there, Jetstar doesn't even fly there. :confused:

mcgrath50
22nd Feb 2014, 03:37
Interesting though ... Hrdlicka accompanied Joyce on his last big trip to Dubai to meet with the EK senior executives. Certainly no reason why a Jetstar CEO would be there, Jetstar doesn't even fly there.

Jetstar codesharing with EK could have been discussed.

Fool Sufferer
22nd Feb 2014, 05:47
2 years might b optimistic
quite a few others here r saying 12 months

Quite a few others have no idea what they are talking about.

You appear to derive a perverted gratification in attempting to foment angst amongst Qantas employees, understandably concerned with their employer's future direction.

Must be a fair size chip you carry on your shoulder.

Oktas8
22nd Feb 2014, 05:54
Qantas will exist, and continue to exist.

Just like a fifty year old axe is still doing fine; it's only needed two new heads and four new handles.

That is, an airline can continue to exist even if it has changed its entire fleet, workforce, ownership and character several times. As long as the changes don't happen too quickly, everyone stays happy - or perhaps at least not yet clinically depressed. :\

Wally Mk2
22nd Feb 2014, 08:39
I think some here are losing sight of what makes up a Co.in the first place & in this case QF. It's not the planes & all the support gear or it's mandate or it's managers etc it's the PEOPLE whom make up a Co much like a church, the church as we know it is just a building it's the people inside it that make the church just like the QF employees they make QF not some fancy sign on the CEO's exclusive locker room door!.
Without the people of loyal & hard working QF the at roots level personal then you might as well hang a rusty old sign on the last gate locked saying............" Qantas was here":ugh:
The world has monuments, signs, statues scattered all over the place reflecting mans past achievements, places of sentimental value where man took first flight powered for Eg & where he rose to the heavens for the first time & then stepped upon another heavenly body all this happened over many many years as mankind grew & paid dearly for it. What have we got here in Australia now?
A once proud national icon with a history almost as long as flight itself that's become an embarrassment to many of it's employees. Shame on those that marked Australia with an ever lasting scar on the face of our once proud aviation heritage!!!

Wmk2

BNEA320
22nd Feb 2014, 13:10
and with the massive layoffs the not so bright union leaders Will call a strike Which Will cripple qf. the more talk of qf the more lack of confidence from public who Will book other airlines internationally.

qf have been so arrogant for too many years and now it Will come back and bite them .

Fool Sufferer
22nd Feb 2014, 13:25
So you're delusional as well as malevolent.

That failed employment attempt obviously cut you deep.

Fantome
22nd Feb 2014, 16:19
you two . .. . stop bickering . . . .. . . . have a read again of Bill Allen's advice to himself . . ... . in all probability you are both right to some degree . .. . and both wrong . . .

blow.n.gasket
23rd Feb 2014, 00:32
Was listening to an interesting theory the other day that the likes of BNEA320 might like.
Come proclamation day on the 27th ,there are expected to be a number of surplus Qantas pilots to be announced.
According to this theory, as per the Fair Work Act, Qantas has to offer positions in any wholly owned entities, such as Jetstar.
This theory goes further ,suggesting that since Jetstar management are struggling to get pilots to sign up for such crap conditions in other entities of the Empire such as Jetstar Japan , that this downsizing of Qantas could be Jetstar managements saviour.
Unfortunately, as it was pointed out , in this theory, the entity has to be a wholly owned one, so the theory goes ,as per the respective contracts, Qantas pilots displace Jetstar Australia pilots who get bumped under their contract to all these minority owned entities.
As I said , interesting theory!

BNEA320
23rd Feb 2014, 00:33
anyone who thinks QF INT will survive in anything like current form is in denial.

Apparently many QF INT pilots are trying to transfer to QF domestic.

Think the 65% line in the sand will finally go come Thursday, as it eroding the most profitable part of QF mainline.

BNEA320
23rd Feb 2014, 00:35
Would never apply for any job at QF.

Would be like working for public service.

Attitude is all wrong.

Arrogance for many years coming back to bit them.

griffin one
23rd Feb 2014, 01:04
BNEA320
How could you know so much if you've never worked there?
Being an employee of the so called civil servant airline I digress that most employees are so passionate about the red tail that's why it envokes a diatribe on rumour websites.

CaptCloudbuster
23rd Feb 2014, 01:48
Me.

I'm pretty proud of maintaining my Professionalism and contributing to the remarkable 1st time ever effort for 12 out of 12 for any Airline.

QANTAS most on time DOM Airline 2013 (http://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media-releases/qantas-most-on-time-major-domestic-airline-for-2013?print=1)

We could only hope the Public Service was as dedicated and tireless...

Not my words but rather the CEO QANTAS Domestic no less:ok:

Qantas Domestic Chief Executive Officer Lyell Strambi said

“All airlines operate in the same weather conditions and within the same airport environment, so the difference between our on-time performance and our competitors comes down to our dedicated people who work tirelessly to get our customers to their destinations on time.

Where did Jet* sit on that punctuality list (http://www.bitre.gov.au/statistics/aviation/otp_annual.aspx#summary) BNEA320?::p

George Glass
23rd Feb 2014, 04:01
BNEA320, the more obvious question is why would anbody want to work for J*? Usually its people who have no choice or those who have drunk the Koolaid. No prizes for working for a business that holds you in contempt.

Stalins ugly Brother
23rd Feb 2014, 05:04
People like BNEA320, shovel etc stand out like dogs balls as guys that haven't been able to get into major outfits like QF, CX, BA, EK etc so have had to settle for left overs and now spend their days on places like pprune hoping like hell for the failure of these entities to make them feel better for being part of the reserves team. :E

Living proof the psych test works! :ok:

Mstr Caution
23rd Feb 2014, 05:52
Blown n Gasket.

I'm of the understanding that if Qantas pilots elect to go to JQ under the MOU. That the JQ terms and conditions apply.

However.

If Qantas force pilots to go to JQ. They maintain their current terms and conditions.

This is why the MOU was conceived. To allow QF pilots to transfer to JQ without the recipient airline having to pay QF conditions.

Will JQ. As a wholly owned entity find themselves in a spot?

They can't recruit while Alan attempts to make QF pilots redundant.

And Qantas can't force pilots to go to JQ on lessor terms.

Stand to be corrected.

Mc.