PDA

View Full Version : New FAA Rules for Helicopter EMS and PART 135 Ops

SASless
20th Feb 2014, 18:08
It took a while...but the FAA issued a Final Rule that makes significant changes for Helicopter Part 135 Helicopter Operators and Helicopter EMS Operations.

New FAA rule for air ambulance sector will impact all helicopter operators | Vertical Magazine - The Pulse of the Helicopter Industry (http://www.verticalmag.com/news/article/NewFAAruleforairambulancesectorwillimpactallhelicopteroperat #.UwZRznmKMoF)

An earlier article about FAA dragging their feet....or being seen to be anyway.

Pressure mounts for HEMS rule | Vertical Magazine - The Pulse of the Helicopter Industry (http://www.verticalmag.com/news/article/Pressure-mounts-for-HEMS-rule#.UwZS5XmKMoF)

grumpytroll
20th Feb 2014, 19:51
I flew for Air Methods as recently as last year and all of these changes have already been implemented there, and at most EMS providers. The companies reacted quickly when these proposals were first discussed 3 or 4 years ago. Now the replacement aircraft being sent to the line have all of the up to date equipment installed when they arrive. The change to the Class G airspace is essentially a non starter since the industry has ceiling and visibility standards higher than the FAA requirements already. As for the NVG's, I understand the issue because while an aircraft like the EC-145 has lots of space for the med crews to work while wearing goggles, an A-Star for example, is a different story. Trying to work in the cramped space with goggles flipped up is very challenging, constantly bumping them on the ceiling and each other etc. Overall the industry has accepted these changes and has adapted very quickly to them. The white light, brownout and inadvertent IMC training has been covered in computer based training for several years, and as more sims come on line, these topics are covered and trained as well. I don't think that any of these companies have hired pilots without an instrument ticket for many years. They aren't done yet, but there has been monumental movement in the right direction. One small example is the radar altimeter. I prefer a digital display located on the lower outside corner so when I am looking through the chin bubble is it right there in my view. That was not spelled out in the regs so in most cases you get the less expensive dial type which I find hard to see and comprehend quickly, especially at night.
When I am king....

Cheers

SASless
20th Feb 2014, 20:37
Grump.....Last time I remember....pull one plug-in....squeeze a pair of buttons and the NVG's are free to be stored in a safe place. One would only need to wear them en-route to the Landing Site. The Pilot usually is the only one using them on the way back to the Hospital.

Now I know it detracts from the Glamour to be seen without them on the Scene and all....but really?

The fact the FAA did not include NVG's amongst their changes is what is worthy of discussion is it not?

It does make far more sense to me to have NVG's as a requirement than TAWS.

Once One encounters IIMC....expediting a Climb to MSA is far the smarter move than messing about at low level trying to regain visual contact with the surface....at least in my humble opinion anyway.

crunchingnumbers
20th Feb 2014, 21:52
Should and Shall for landing/takeoff per the STC are often determinate factors for NVG use by more than just the pilot. Companies also dictate when NVG's will be used below certain altitudes. This is most often the case for un-prepared sites but in practice many pilots would be happy to stay on goggles for all phases of flight regardless.

Most IIMC procedures call for a climb to a pre-established MSA, but in the winter it is often a more challenging decision to make with freezing levels being a major consideration. I would agree with SAS in most all other circumstances, climb and commit is the best choice.

IFR proficiency vs currency however, is another matter all together.

SASless
20th Feb 2014, 22:02
There lies the rub.....legally current doesn't mean proficient.

Rather than TAWS....a three axis autopilot would be a much better bang for the buck....as if One goes back through the Stats....CFIT (usually as a loss of control after IIMC) is the biggest killer during Night Flight. That is where the use of NVG's and the Auto Pilot would greatly reduce the instances of IIMC and enhance the survival rate after encountering IIMC.

Perhaps the best investment would be in trying to improve Pilot Decision Making.

That would address prevention of IIMC encounters which is the best solution.

busdriver02
21st Feb 2014, 01:08
Agree with SASless on both posts.

grumpytroll
21st Feb 2014, 03:03
All air methods aircraft are NVG modded and all crewmembers have NVG's. As far as I know that is industry standard. The only thing the FAA is saying is we are not going to take on the impossible task of trying to write a regulation about when they actually have to flipped down. That would be a fools errand. Try if you like but there are so many scenarios that it would be impossible to write a reg to cover them all.

As for an autopilot, heck yes. I flew the 145 and loved it even on day VFR flights. What about some simple SAS systems?

Second pilot, Second engine, Day VFR only, twice as much pay, half the time on duty... I can dream

CRAZYBROADSWORD
21st Feb 2014, 07:02
Question from a dumb Brit ! I know you can have singles certified for IMC in the states but can you do HEMS and public transport IMC in a single ?

tottigol
21st Feb 2014, 10:47
Yes you may Crazy.
As a matter of fact our back-up to the 412 was an IFRed 206L-3 and we regularly trained and got checked-out in it.

As SAS states, the big difference here is where some operators pay lip service to the IFR rating part, while others are adopting more stringent standards and consistently train their pilots.

One thing needs to be considered though,if you operate a VFR helicopter, how far can you (or do you) carry your IIMC recovery procedure training and how much time do you spend under the hood or in actual WX?

Besides .293 and .299 we were checked 135.297 twice a year, alternating airframes, how many programs flying a VFR airframe can afford that?

alouette3
21st Feb 2014, 17:52
The two biggest issues that will impact current operations are the Part 135 duty time rule with med crew on board.Until now, we were allowed to reposition back to base with med crew on board past the 14th hour,using Part 91 as the loophole.Now, everyone will have to be back at base by the 14th hour.Huge repercussions for the CBS type operation.
Second, the call to management if the risk assessment exceeds a certain threshold.It will be interesting to see how the companies figure this out.So, while it is true that most rules have already been implemented, these two are new and,judging from the comments,the companies are being dragged kicking and screaming into compliance.
As the Lead in my base I had already instructed the pilots to call me ,night or day, if the risk assessment exceeded a certain value.Not to make the decision for them or to pressure them one way or the other, but, just as a reassurance to the guys new to the industry that I was mentoring and monitoring and ready to help.But that was a purely local decision.Not a common practice company wide.I wonder what will be the level of management that will need to be called.;)
Alt3.

SASless
21st Feb 2014, 18:19
It should be some central location....Director of Ops/Chief Pilot/Dispatch Center....the 135 OpSpecs for the Operator will specify who it is that holds responsibility for "Operational Control" of all company aircraft/crews.

The further it is removed from the individual bases the better.

The Industry has been its own worst enemy in this.....and are going to pay the price now.