PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP Validation from Swiss Aviation Authorities

George Koumis
19th Feb 2014, 16:12
Dear all,

I would like to know if there is anybody who has gone through the process of validating an FAA ATP, in order to fly a Swiss registered biz-jet.

If yes, please explain what the process is all about, in terms of time needed; required documents; fees etc.

PM if you wish.

Thanx,

George

g5tom
20th Feb 2014, 06:45
Hi George

A Validation is valid for 12 month! However, it gives you some time to start the process for a conversion (EASA ATPL theory required) whilst you're already able to fly the plane.

Here's the process:

Checklist EASA Part-FCL Annex III Validation of a foreign ATPL(A) MPA
(1 year limited certificate of validation of a valid foreign pilot’s licence)

Requirements for the issuance of a Swiss validation certificate ATPL(A) MPA issued on the basis of a valid ICAO-ATPL(A) MPA issued in a non-EASA member state

EASA Part-MED medical certificate class 1 issued by an authorised Swiss FOCA AeMC
Proof of the radiotelephony qualification entered in the foreign pilot’s licence or equivalent document
Proof of the language proficiency (at least Level 4) entered in the foreign pilot's licence in accordance with FCL.055
Proof of the knowledge of the relevant parts of Part-OPS and Part-FCL
For commercial air transport in MP aeroplanes as PIC:
Minimum 1500 hours as PIC on MPA
For commercial air transport in MP aeroplanes as COPI: Minimum 1500 hours as PIC or COPI on MPA according to operational re-quirements
Complete, as a skill test with examiner on MP aeroplane, the type rating re-validation requirements relevant to the privileges of the licence held in accor-dance with Part-FCL
Application for the issuance of a pilot’s licence/permit (FOCA Form.69.975)
Copies of all pages of the current foreign pilot’s licence with entry of the re-quired current MPA type and instrument rating (pending licence is not ac-cepted)
Copies of all pages of the corresponding valid foreign medical certificate
Copies of last 3 pages of the logbook
Copy of passport
Verification of the foreign pilot’s licences and medical certificates
By filling the application form, the applicant will authorize the issuing Civil Aviation Authorities of his foreign licences and medical certificates to provide all relevant information for the cor-responding application to the Swiss Federal Office of Civil Aviation (FOCA)
Validity of validation certificate
As long as the foreign pilot’s licence but not longer than 12 months from the date of skill test

Also available as a checklist under:

BAZL - Checklisten Lizenzierung (Motorflug, Helikopter, Segelflug, Ballon) (http://www.bazl.admin.ch/experten/ausbildung_lizenzen/03167/03168/03172/03173/index.html?lang=de)

Good Luck,
G5tom

Lingo Dan
20th Feb 2014, 09:42
From about 1997 - 2000, I had a similar validation, based on a UK ATPL(H) and operated a Swiss-registered helicopter in the Middle East and Europe. One restriction, however, was that we were NOT allowed to fly in Swiss airspace.

FOCA allowed us to renew the validation after one year, although it would usually expire when the first item on the check list expired: e.g., skills test, medical, etc.

It was a pain and, looking back, it would probably have been easier to have gone the whole hog and obtained a full Swiss licence.

George Koumis
21st Feb 2014, 05:29
Dear g5tom & Lingo Dan,

Thank you for the reply.

I need the validation for ONE sector only! It is a ferry flight which means it is going to be valid for merely a single DAY!

Do you guys think they are going to ask all the above even in my case?

Thanx in advance,

George

g5tom
21st Feb 2014, 12:03
Hi George

That should be possible! FOCA is issuing a "permit to fly" under certain circumstances. Send your request to [email protected] explaining them what you need and they'll let you know if it is possible and if yes what is required (docs).

Good luck,
G5tom

George Koumis
21st Feb 2014, 13:20
Hi g5tom,

I have done so already and I am pleased with their prompt reply.

Indeed there is an "easy" way of getting the validation.
We have started the process already.

Thank you for your assistance.

BR,

George KOUMIS
Captain - Hawker 900XP
Air Executive LTD
(Airexecutive Aircraft Management (http://www.airexecutive.net))