PDA

View Full Version : Air Greenland?

Krautwald
17th Feb 2014, 17:28
Seems to be very little usable information on Greenland operators. Why is that so? Little turnover/few vacancies? Inbred recruitment? ;)

Seriously, is this a good and realistic place to try as a rookie? What should outside candidates know before trying such a special place? So far, it seems like a "gotta know somebody" thing?

TowerDog
19th Feb 2014, 00:40
A bit rough up there in Greenland.
Perhaps your first flying job should be in civilization unless ya are Rambo? :cool:

Klimax
24th Feb 2014, 23:01
Kw,

I'm not sure, but I don't think there's any sorts of traditional "bush flying" as compared to, say, Northern Canada, Alaska etc.. There used to be Another company, than Air Greenland, called Air Alpha but they were bought up years ago and later went out of business, unfortunately.

Let us know if you come up with something interesting, besides from Air Greenland, which by the way seems to have a good rep.

Cheers,
K.

Private jet
25th Feb 2014, 11:59
We did a tech stop in Greenland once. Once you have seen the fjords and the glaciers and the icebergs and the whales then you have seen it all, theres nothing else there. I reckon that after a month you'll be pulling your hair out to get away from the place. Its very cold and very dark in the winter too, and if i recall the beer was/is about 15 US$ each!!

captplaystation
25th Feb 2014, 15:24
To the best of my knowledge the A330 guys spend more time in CPH than in Greenland.

ReallyAnnoyed
27th Feb 2014, 17:02
Not a chance in hell to get on the A330!

Krautwald
5th Mar 2014, 17:05
Why no chance? This is the type of answer that interests me. Because if it's an inbred company with buddy to buddy recruitment or a seniority list so long that it will outlast any new guys entire career, that'd be good to know for outsiders.

I once tried that in my old job. Lots of trying and preparation, and nothing they told us to bring in the game would ever work. Wasnt until later that we found out they where hiring from very narrow circles.

Not critisizing. In some context, this makes sense. But nice to know anyway. Knowledge like this can help you choose the right rating and other important decisions.

Is pay the same for jet and prop/heli?

SMT Member
6th Mar 2014, 10:54
Greenland is not part of the EU, therefore you will have issues obtaining a working permit unless you are a Danish or Greenland citizen. Furthermore, GL will always look locally first when recruiting, and if that's not an option then to Denmark.

In so many words, unless you're from Greenland or Denmark your chances are somewhere between zero and none.

ReallyAnnoyed
7th Mar 2014, 23:14
Because there is only 1 in the fleet, making it a very senior aircraft to get on.

Nubian
10th Mar 2014, 14:41
Because there is only 1 in the fleet, making it a very senior aircraft to get on

Yep, and to add the guys that used to fly the 757 they got rid of years ago and were forced to move back/over to fly regional on the DHC7 and 8's, the list i longer. Those will have priority...
The A330 is based in CPH and never overnights in Greenland unless for tech reasons.